Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so after running into a slight problem with the radiator fan, it seems i needed an intake shield to protect my intake cone from sucking in hot air, and might as well make a header shield.

Materials: 2 Sheets of aluminum (12in. x 8in at Lowes for .89 cents ea.)
Socket Set (to remove bolts and wat not)
Scewdriver (philips and flat"
A Table's edge (to make straight bends)
a couple of "L" shaped brackets
2 sets of "screw and nuts"
drill bit set
drill (to make wholes for the screws)
measuring tape (or eyeball it like i did)

first take an "L" bracket and decide where to mount it, i found this place very nice and clean looking. there are other holes to mount to

then take a sheet of aluminum and measure where you will need to make the bends. (depends on intake and cone size) THIS WAS DONE ON AN "AEM INTAKE"

using the bracket that you mounted earlier as a template, mark the whole on the sheet of aluminum and drill your whole.

then just tighten up the shield to the bracket very tightly and your done. the key is bending the sheet of aluminum to match your cone or the shape of the engine bay.

for the heat shield, i bent the long sides of the sheet 90 degrees on both sides to thats its ridged and using an "L" bracket and a bolt and screw from the engine block, mounted my "L" bracket.

with the "L" bracket mounted, mark and drill a hole using another set of nut and screw, mount the sheet to the "L" bracket like so
at the end it should look something like this. IT ALL VARIES WITH YOUR STYLE AND CRAFTSMANSHIP.

END PRODUCT

took me about 15 mins and less than 2 bucks. please dont burn me about these instructions im just an 18 year old figuring out these things and would like to share wit you guys so a rep would be nice....happy modding IS300 owners

EDITED: 1st GEN KICKS BUTT!!! LOL

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
good job man, i feel you, not many people do it their own way, even though your shields are just bent metal, its still better than nothing, +rep for you and your imagination!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
No Burn, Just a good ol' rep for the nice innovation you just did! Did that solve your prob. though? I like the creativity you have! good job bro.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks man appreciate it

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nice mod bro. I have the same intake and had the same problems. I first made my own intake using an L bracket exactly like you did but I used a clear plastic sheet from Home Depot. I then found this heatshield from 2KRacing.com Performance Parts / Auto Accessories here in LA and threw away the home made heat shield.

Here are pics of the 2kracing heat shield.

Reactions: Tigger

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, the problem was at a stop, the radiator fan would come on and would cause my idle to drop, felt like it was about to die.....

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I have a question about th intake heat shield. What is it supposed to do?

Looking at it from a "flow" perspective I would say it actually worsens things. The place where the filter sits draws air from all that surrounds it. When you have the shield in place it forces it to get air from behind it from deeper in the engine bay...hotter air. If the other side is open (side nearest the radiator) then it will draw hot air that passes through the radiator.

It seems like the best option would be to make the shield like you have done and cut a hole in it for the stock airbox scoop. It would draw fresh air from the front of the car before it goes over the radiator. It seems like it would be best option

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice mod bro. I have the same intake and had the same problems. I first made my own intake using an L bracket exactly like you did but I used a clear plastic sheet from Home Depot. I then found this heatshield from 2KRacing.com Performance Parts / Auto Accessories here in LA and threw away the home made heat shield.

Here are pics of the 2kracing heat shield.

you should put a rubber gromet or some sort of rubber washer where yu'r intake bolts down so the bracket doesnt break. i heard a few stories about that....

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
hope you dont mind it i borrow your idea.
i think i have a little something extra up my sleave tho. just need the time to do it.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
hope you dont mind it i borrow your idea.
i think i have a little something extra up my sleave tho. just need the time to do it.
Hope that trick has something to with what I was talking about. That would be some real innovation :)

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Great point ItalynStylion.

There are two types of heat underhood - convection and radiant. Both serve to heat the air around them affecting your intake temps.

Heatshields that prevent radiant heat need to be on the hot (radiant) item like your header heatshield.

You cannot prevent convective heat from the radiator and motor. You can only avoid them.

So with those things in mind... I like your heatshield on the headers but longevity IMO will be questionable with that gauge of material. The one on the cone filter will serve more to avoid turbulence (which was your problem) than heat and as ItalynStylion points out, prob increases the temp of air coming in.

The 2kracing heatshield is worthless IMO as radiant heat does not act on the filter itself, but on the air around it which it is still breathing.

So going back to avoiding hot air underhood... Think of it as building shields that aid and direct cool airflow to the filter and not so much as "blocking" (radiant) heat. The coldest air you will get is fresh air (cold air) from outside the underhood area. The stock intake is a great example of a "cold-air" setup that even has ram air properties.

The AEM intake IMO......let's just leave it at that since I have nothing good to say. That hard mount at the bolt irritates me to no end among other things.

+rep for good effort.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Rep for the DIY. The K&N intake I had on my 1st gen had a cutout that the stock breather clamped to giving it a little cool air to breath instead of trying to pull all that air from under the hood/through the radiator.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
You should cut a hole in the side and plumb the air scoop into the shield like the SRT intake

·
Registered
392 Posts
I disagree with your statement that the 2kracing heatshield is worthless.

Before I put any heatshield on my AEM I was having the same stalling problems as the other two posters. I also made another heatshield where I attached the OEM air scoop to it. That for some reason also caused it to stall because I think there was too much air coming in and messing up the MAF readings.

Here are my experiences:

1) No heatshield= Stalling problems when the radiator fan turns on and circulates hot air around.

2) Home made heatshield with OEM air scoop= Still engine stalling. Not sure of reason.

3) Home made heatshield with no OEM air scoop=Perfect, no issues at all.

4) 2kracing heat sheild= Also perfect with no issues but looks better than my home made one.

Great point ItalynStylion.

There are two types of heat underhood - convection and radiant. Both serve to heat the air around them affecting your intake temps.

Heatshields that prevent radiant heat need to be on the hot (radiant) item like your header heatshield.

You cannot prevent convective heat from the radiator and motor. You can only avoid them.

So with those things in mind... I like your heatshield on the headers but longevity IMO will be questionable with that gauge of material. The one on the cone filter will serve more to avoid turbulence (which was your problem) than heat and as ItalynStylion points out, prob increases the temp of air coming in.

The 2kracing heatshield is worthless IMO as radiant heat does not act on the filter itself, but on the air around it which it is still breathing.

So going back to avoiding hot air underhood... Think of it as building shields that aid and direct cool airflow to the filter and not so much as "blocking" (radiant) heat. The coldest air you will get is fresh air (cold air) from outside the underhood area. The stock intake is a great example of a "cold-air" setup that even has ram air properties.

The AEM intake IMO......let's just leave it at that since I have nothing good to say. That hard mount at the bolt irritates me to no end among other things.

+rep for good effort.

·
Registered
127 Posts
das not a custom intake.. lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts