Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a friend who runs a shop that makes their own line of coilovers. Since I've gotten my IS we've been tossing around the idea of making a set of coilovers for the IS. What we were pondering and debating last night is what the community would want in a set of coilovers, so I had the idea to just ask!

So if you could spec out a set of coilovers what qualities would they have?

-Springrates? Do you want 10/8 supple, 18/16 circuit spec or somewhere in the middle?
-Price? (obviously lower is better but elaborate on what you are willing to pay for a decent set of track and street tested coils)
-Ride height adjustability? Is being able to put your frame rails on the ground ala VIP style important or not?
-Damping adjutments? How many "clicks" of damping adjustment would you prefer? You know, where one click actually makes a difference. Unlike some I've had in the past that take 5-10 clicks to make a difference.

So go for it!

Spec out your dream coilovers.

The more serious replies there are, the better chance he'll want to make them. So if you have something in mind, spit it out!

Hopefully I'm not the only one who wants them because he'll never make just a set for me! haha

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think the 10/8or maybe 9 rates would be better, 98% of this board will never track there car anyway. Anything over than that might be overkill for a street driven car

Pricewise I would say you HAVE to keep it under $1200, anymore than that and everyone will just keep buying the better known coils Greddy, Tein, Stance, HKS, etc

Damping... as long as they have decent dampers I personally wouldn't care how many "clicks" they actually have as long as their noticable

Ride height... I personally would like to dump the car but again 98% of this forum is content with their 1in. drops on Eibach springs. So I say as long as it can go 2.5in. lower and double adjustable so thjose who need to go lower can remove collars and maybe droop the spring slighty.

How many requests would you have to have before he makes them?
And have they made coils for other cars? if so which ones?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would like some higher springs rates and a decent amount of adjustment. I agree with Jefferson:"98% of this board will never track their car anyway."

-Joe

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Best of luck to your friend but the IS market is limited and probably not a worthwhile business investment.

98% of the people here don't track like already mentioned. The 2% who track will be looking at the better known options.

10/8 is the sweet spot for the IS chassis.

Bushed upper mounts would be ideal.

Levels of damping adjustment is not really preferred so much as having a solid usable range of damping levels. Doesn't matter that there are 32 indents when only the middle 10 are appropriate.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah based on the response from this thread you're right Teck, there isn't enough market for them.

They currently make coilovers for 240sx/silvias, skylines, SC300/400, Mazda FC/FD. I think that's it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts