Lexus IS Forum banner

Cusco Camber Kit--worth it/need it for a drop?

3K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  Malekreza11 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Tha Reaper said:
why waste your money on a camber kit when you can get a all wheel alignment to do that same purpose?

IMHO...a camber kit isnt worth anything.
I believe this is an inaccurate statement for a few reasons.
1) The stock camber plates front and rear only allow adjustment good enough for a stock car. Your telling me that if you lower your car 3 inches via your Tein FLEX that you can go pay $59.99 and get your alignment fully corrected. Some people dont go too low because of Alignment restrictions, tires are expensive and some (like me) cant afford to go through them every 8k miles.
2) Although TOE is the primary and bigger factor of tire wear, that CANNOT be adjusted if the camber is maxed out. Toe depends on your camber angle with a great deal.
3) It is better to have good and maximum contact patch rather than "be in spec" on your alignment. Being in spec means the car wont drive abnormally and is safe to be driven. IT does not mean you will get normal tire were. You can still be in spec and have your tires look like this : // \\

Thus... A camber kit is beneficial, and the stock camber plates and adjusters are VERY restricting on how much lee way they give us.

#7 ·
well said malek.

so many people get sucked into the "camber is adjustable from factory" deal.. if you have an extreme drop the factory adjustment is not enough.

even with my 1.5 drop i feel uncomfortable at times, because even though my alignment is within spec, my rear wheels are doing that exact //--\\ deal a bit much for my tastes...don't want to be burning up 40k rated tires in 15k or anything...

#8 ·
I got my FLEX put on two weeks ago and I need an alignment. I need to raise the rear up a little, the Hiper keeps scraping. I can tell that I really need an alignment and if this kit helps to get a "more perfect" alignmnet than just being "within spec," then I guess I will get it. Tires are too expensive to ignore this problem (besides, you should always try to get the biggest contact patch).

#13 ·
not that i know of unless it was custom

i think a four wheel alignment is sufficient enough for moderately dropped cars, if your car is lowered 3", you either scrape alot or have a really stiff ride

if you don't have the proper wheel/tire size and offset, be prepared to modify your fender

#14 ·
CharlieD06 said:
Tha Reaper said:
why waste your money on a camber kit when you can get a all wheel alignment to do that same purpose?

OEM Camber correction only corrects up to a 1.5-2" drop
So you wanna go lower than 2"? 1.5" is plenty low. any lower than 2" will cause bottoming and degrade not only to ride quality but also corning capability.

I'm pretty confident that I can out corner an is300 that is 2.5" lowered..

Get a truck or a Honda if you want to do that kind of lowering.

#15 ·
CharlieD06 said:
Tha Reaper said:

So you wanna go lower than 2"? 1.5" is plenty low. any lower than 2" will cause bottoming and degrade not only to ride quality but also corning capability.

#16 ·
Well my car setup is similar to yours I felt like it handles better dropped, you saying you can out handle any car lowered I think is dubuios(assuming you could move with those 19s), with in the limits of the suspension lower is better. And I did not bottom out lowered 2.5.

Get a truck or a honda if you want that kind of lowering? What does that mean? :roll:

I know when I watch SCCA racing, GRAND AM cup the is300 are lowered they look like 2 - 2.5 and they cant change control arms.

YellowIS5spd said:
CharlieD06 said:
Tha Reaper said:

#17 ·
YellowIS5spd said:
CharlieD06 said:
Tha Reaper said:

Its currently @ 1.75" drop, waiting for potenza's to go to get 19's, then dumping to 2.5-3".

#18 ·
Sentinel said:
Well my car setup is similar to yours I felt like it handles better dropped, you saying you can out handle any car lowered I think is dubuios(assuming you could move with those 19s), with in the limits of the suspension lower is better. And I did not bottom out lowered 2.5.

Get a truck or a honda if you want that kind of lowering? What does that mean? :roll:

I know when I watch SCCA racing, GRAND AM cup the is300 are lowered they look like 2 - 2.5 and they cant change control arms.
Ah.. Master Sentinel.. It isn't fair to compare SCCA , Grand AM cars. tire wear isn't an issue and usually they want more camber for balance tire temp arcoss width of the tire. Also they run slicks.. or near slicks.

I can move on the 19" but I track with stock 17's. I find the tuning damper setting do more to corning than height adjustment. Also from some of your older post. I thought your car is only about 1.25" lower and you said it had plenty of grip since you custom tailor your spring rate.

I guess we are going off topics now. since the OG post is regarding camber kit. Going back to the OG question. in my opinion. street tuned IS300 don't need camber kit because going over 2" lower is only for looks.

#19 ·
My car is lowered now around 1.5 (Due to a body kit) It was lowered 2.5 b4. I never said I had custom spring rates. Standard HAs.

Tire wear is an issue depends on person even raise I still tear up my front tires. Id rather take the handling. If I lived somewhere other then NYC id lower and get the CUSCO camber kit.

Back to OGs question I think lowered 2 inchs you still wear out your front tires so the camber kit can still help you.

How do u like you HAs? I have like hmm 30 - 35k on them my car doesnt seem as stable any more.

YellowIS5spd said:
Sentinel said:

Ah.. Master Sentinel.. It isn't fair to compare SCCA , Grand AM cars. tire wear isn't an issue and usually they want more camber for balance tire temp arcoss width of the tire. Also they run slicks.. or near slicks.

I can move on the 19" but I track with stock 17's. I find the tuning damper setting do more to corning than height adjustment. Also from some of your older post. I thought your car is only about 1.25" lower and you said it had plenty of grip since you custom tailor your spring rate.

I guess we are going off topics now. since the OG post is regarding camber kit. Going back to the OG question. in my opinion. street tuned IS300 don't need camber kit because going over 2" lower is only for looks.

#20 ·
Sentinel said:
My car is lowered now around 1.5 (Due to a body kit) It was lowered 2.5 b4. I never said I had custom spring rates. Standard HAs.

Tire wear is an issue depends on person even raise I still tear up my front tires. Id rather take the handling. If I lived somewhere other then NYC id lower and get the CUSCO camber kit.

Back to OGs question I think lowered 2 inchs you still wear out your front tires so the camber kit can still help you.

How do u like you HAs? I have like hmm 30 - 35k on them my car doesnt seem as stable any more.
I must have confused you with another old timer here..

HA are great. Still stable. I love the firm ride except when my wife and kid is riding with me then I feel that it is a bit firm for my family. I don't track that often so I'm not sure if I've lost any response. Although Tein do rebuld coilovers. prob cost about the same to sell them and get new ones with the shipping and rebuild cost.

#21 ·
Sentinel said:
my car is dumped 1.5......i wear out the rear tires.....

#22 ·
I finally got my alignment, it was done at Luxury Motor Works. Steve said it was perfect. I had the rear raised a 1/4 inch, then got the alignment (my Hiper was scraping all the time). I have the FLEX and I like the ride compared to my HAs. I guess my overall drop is 1.5 front and 1-1.25 for the rear. I guess I don't need the camber kit now and I am not going to lower anymore than what I have now.

The Daizen kit will probably be a great kit and it has a good price.

#23 ·
- I just need the rear, my front HAS to be cambered or else my front fender would rip off... posted plenty of times, but here are pics again:

#24 ·
I dont know y but my rear tires dont wear unevely just my front ones.

#26 ·
stick said:
I finally got my alignment, it was done at Luxury Motor Works. Steve said it was perfect. I had the rear raised a 1/4 inch, then got the alignment (my Hiper was scraping all the time). I have the FLEX and I like the ride compared to my HAs. I guess my overall drop is 1.5 front and 1-1.25 for the rear. I guess I don't need the camber kit now and I am not going to lower anymore than what I have now.

The Daizen kit will probably be a great kit and it has a good price.
How did you raise the rear 1/4 inch? Seems like what I need to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.