Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it's real cold here (like 20 degrees or colder) my front suspension makes a sort of crunching sound when going over bumps. I can recreate the sound outside of the car by bouncing on the front corners. I have hotchkiss sways and that is all.

When it's warm, the noise isn't present.

Could the sways need greasing? Is it a sway problem? I didn't have the sounds last winter and I was completely stock suspension. It's really annoying and my fiance says it sounds like a beater when we go over bumps. Any ideas to remedy the problem?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The sways might need greasing, but I doubt it this soon. None of them are very old since they haven't been out long. Can't hurt though, since they have the "grease hole"....

The "crunching" sounds like it might be the bar rubbing against the bushing. Usually if it's your springs, it's more of a "squeak / creak" sound.

FYI: my TRDs make the same noise when I go down my parking garage in the evening when it's like 10 degrees. Then it goes away when everything sort of gets in a groove and warms up. Do you get the crunching sound even after driving a long time?

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
i get it to only over larger bumps and only realy when it both wheels at the same time, like a speed bumps, and once thae car is warm its gone, i am guessing its the sways that need some greasing, cause its cold here too, highs like 20, it sucks...

·
Registered
565 Posts
yeah i have the same problem over like speed bumbs but it cant be the weather because the coldest it reall gets here is in the low forties.....none of the twenty degree nonsense 8)

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
IS300Sam said:
yeah i have the same problem over like speed bumbs but it cant be the weather because the coldest it reall gets here is in the low forties.....none of the twenty degree nonsense 8)
jerk :p

get a grease gun and lub them sways up i would be willing to bet thats what it is, they came with grease nipples for a reason i supposs

lube up the nips :lol:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i take it i can go buy a grease gun and the right kind of grease at autozone? what do i need? sorry, i don't know a whole lot about this stuff :roll:

thanks for the replies - nice to know i'm not the only one with this problem.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
not sure about auto zone, but i would be more than willing to bet sears would have it, and for grease, well this one is up to you but energy(they make the bushings) suggests a silicon grease, they would have that at auto zone or sears, other than this though you just have to take off the bracket and the bushing, lube it up and put it back on the car, greas gun just makes it a bit easier

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.