Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my driver's side front area creaks when i press the brake and turn the wheel at the same time... I took the tire off to see if something's loose and there wasn't... it almost sounds metallic. any ideas?

piece by piece i'm putting it back together, so bear with me please.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Do you have any modifications done to your car? After rulling out more obvious things... I think you should get the various links/joints in your suspension components checked out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Check your wheel bearing. Jack the car up and leave the wheel on, shake the wheel side to side and up and down. If it wiggles or shakes then you've got front end problems.

BUN

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm gonna check it this weekend when I have time. I guess it really started when I changed the pads out. I looked at it a few weeks ago and nothing seemed to be loose or moving when i yanked on it, but it just makes a pop when I press on the brake and then when i'm braking+moving+turning the wheel it creaks. I guess it could be pads... any other ideas?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Did you remove the rotors when you changed the brakes? If the hub is not very clean when you put your new rotors on, or if the old ones are put back on dirty, it can cause the pop you're talking about because the rotor is not seated perfectly on the hub thus causing the wheel to shift when you apply the brakes. I would remove the wheel, re-seat it, and torque the lugs to spec. Make sure your lugs are centered. It's hard to do, but you can get the wheel on without the lugs centered. If the sounds or thumps increase in frequency and/or amplitude get to a shop. Don't let the wheel fall off. It sounds like you have movement, and that's not good! :jawDrop:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didn't know this was possible, but i think the rotor was just a tad off its spot. when i took the calipers off and i started messing with the rotor, it shifted into what looked like its place and stayed there while I was putting the wheels and wahtnot back on. I haven't driven it yet because I was doing other stuff at the same time, but I think that might have been what it was. thats, and the lugs weren't tight like I like it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i didn't know this was possible, but i think the rotor was just a tad off its spot. when i took the calipers off and i started messing with the rotor, it shifted into what looked like its place and stayed there while I was putting the wheels and wahtnot back on. I haven't driven it yet because I was doing other stuff at the same time, but I think that might have been what it was. thats, and the lugs weren't tight like I like it.
Yep, that's what happened to me. I put on new brakes including rotors. I thought I had cleaned the hub sufficiently, but apparently not. When I drove mine, I got a whump whump whump sound as the brakes were applied. Sounds like you might have the same issue. Let us know if it isn't fixed. Careful cleaning and extra care putting the new rotor and wheel back on cured mine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nope... its better since I've taken it all off, but i still have the creak... I think it might be a joint somewhere, I just don't understand why it doesn't do it all the time and only when the brakes are applied. The more and more I listen to it, it sounds like a ball joint somewhere is bad, but I just can't figure out where its at.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey boss, its the lower ball joint. push down on the wheel from the hood and you'll hear something. i changed my drivers side already and now my passenger side needs to be changed. ohh another way to check is to just let the car roll slowly while turning the steering wheel left and right (all the way) .. hope this helps

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thats it... where's it at/how hard to get at it/how much cash am i looking to bleed?

thanks man, thats gonna save me. i hate noises

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i discussed this in a previous thread.. the only thing i could come up with is get shims in ur brake pads... it was happening to my is, i gave up on it and sold the car...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think, and this is just thinking, that is the bushing at the top of the spring. I took it apart and there's no play at all, there's just the creaking when I brake and turn the wheel. That leads me to believe that its just doing it when the spring is loading up or has a lack of load and its scraping the top of the support... anyone agree or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Check your wheel bearing. Jack the car up and leave the wheel on, shake the wheel side to side and up and down. If it wiggles or shakes then you've got front end problems.

BUN
Shaking it side to side won't work seeing how your going to turn the wheel. If it's kind of a clicking sound then it may be the outer cv boot, if it clunks then it's the inner cv boot. The other thing it might be is one of the clips that lock in the brake pads are misadjusted or not on. You will def get a clunking sound from that seeing how midas did that to my car 3 years back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got the same type noise when applying the brakes only on the right front of my IS. I had the car on the lift and can find no obvious play in the balljoints. I had this noise before and I lubed all contacting surfaces of the pads and shims with antiseize. It went away for a few weeks and has now came back. I have not had a chance to get the car back on a lift to check it out further or re antiseize the pads.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Could it be the endlinks?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts