Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can't think of anything else you would need for the job other than coolant because at the least you will have to disconnect the upper radiator hose so you can lift it out of the way a little bit. I remove the whole thing but think I could have left the lower hose connected. Make sure you have access to a torque wrench capable of torquing the crank bolt to 243ft-lbs.

Mine is still going fine after about 100miles. I have a small oil leak somewhere (cam seals or maybe the main seal) that I haven't had a chance to locate. I think the oil broke down the rubber on my pulley which is what caused it to fail. Not 100% sure though. It's seams to be a common failure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great thread, it helped me do this job yesterday. I got the pulley for $45 on Ebay free shipping. The radiator tricks in here are great. I did not even drain the coolant. I disconnected the top hose but left the bottom hose connected like was mentioned and then pulled the radiator up and hooked it to the hood latch with a bungee cord to keep it out of the way. Then there was enough room to get a 2-bolt puller in front of the balancer. I have a manual transmission so the bolt was a piece of cake. 2 hours from shutting off the motor to driving out of the garage. 210,000 miles and I can use the AC without screetching again, Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bumping this thread to add another data point. Are these your symptoms? Replace your crank pulley yesterday!

I thought it was normal belt squeal so I replaced the belt and tensioner, not change. Started getting worse. Same exact symptoms as in the first post.

After removing the belt the pulley came off with little to no effort. Amazing as I was ripping redline runs in the car that morning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
id like to bump this thread back up. i am in the middle of cleaning up my new to me and neglected 2001 IS300. Looks like I need to replace my crankshaft pulley because of what looks like some damage to the back of it from wobbling. And the fact that the lower TB cover is also really badly eaten up.

Those of you using NON-OEM pulleys, how is everything going?

·
Registered
49 Posts
id like to bump this thread back up. i am in the middle of cleaning up my new to me and neglected 2001 IS300. Looks like I need to replace my crankshaft pulley because of what looks like some damage to the back of it from wobbling. And the fact that the lower TB cover is also really badly eaten up.

Those of you using NON-OEM pulleys, how is everything going?
I have a thread saying I recently just replaced my crank pulley for the same exact symptoms. I bought this one. Seems good to me so far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a thread saying I recently just replaced my crank pulley for the same exact symptoms. I bought this one. Seems good to me so far.

Thanks for the reply. I saw that one and a few others that used the same picture. My car has been down so long I jumped the gun and bought one yesterday from Amazon. Fingers crossed it turns out good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I saw that one and a few others that used the same picture. My car has been down so long I jumped the gun and bought one yesterday from Amazon. Fingers crossed it turns out good.
Most likely will be fine. Think of it this way. Buying 5 of these is still cheaper than 1 OEM one.

·
Mr. Roo
9,230 Posts
Most likely will be fine. Think of it this way. Buying 5 of these is still cheaper than 1 OEM one.
While I might apply that logic to lightbulbs or something insignificant and easy to replace, the crank pulley is probably the last thing I'd want to "cheap out" on lol. No need to cross your fingers if you stick with OEM. All these people having trouble with theirs lately makes me kinda wish I had replaced mine with the timing belt a couple of months ago, just in case!

·
Registered
51 Posts
While I might apply that logic to lightbulbs or something insignificant and easy to replace, the crank pulley is probably the last thing I'd want to "cheap out" on lol. No need to cross your fingers if you stick with OEM. All these people having trouble with theirs lately makes me kinda wish I had replaced mine with the timing belt a couple of months ago, just in case!
Yeah I get that and it’s not a matter of cheaping out. I’m out of funds and need the car running. It’s that simple. I simply can’t afford the OEM balancer. So I had to spin the chamber and pull the trigger. Hopefully I get a click and not a bang.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I
Yeah I get that and it’s not a matter of cheaping out. I’m out of funds and need the car running. It’s that simple. I simply can’t afford the OEM balancer. So I had to spin the chamber and pull the trigger. Hopefully I get a click and not a bang.
I bought a Fluidampr 840801 it was less and will not deteriorate. It was a lot less than OEM.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
14 Participants
01 SolarYellow
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing