Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last night after coming home from a party this crazy kid in a mazda speed protege (the turbod one) is making a left hand turn going from east to south while im going north, the kid as he's making his turn flashes his brights honks his horn and screams out his window with hand motions to race. I was @ a light stopped, so the kid turns around to go in my direction but when the light turned green he turned and didnt even race...LOL, stupid ricer....has this happened to anyone before.....like a crazy person on the road triying to get you to race....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seriously....
Fine if you have M3's, WRX's, whatever you can say that IS3 is slow off the line or overall.

But if you have a Civic, Corolla, Protege, or whatever in that area...dont even compete with an IS. :pissed: We would spank you in corners anyways...yall can go hit a tree or something while we spank slaloms and enjoy our leather seats

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shuggy said:
Seriously....
Fine if you have M3's, WRX's, whatever you can say that IS3 is slow off the line or overall.

But if you have a Civic, Corolla, Protege, or whatever in that area...dont even compete with an IS. :pissed: We would spank you in corners anyways...yall can go hit a tree or something while we spank slaloms and enjoy our leather seats
huh?...can you clearify....

·
Registered
115 Posts
shuggy said:
I really hope you are JOKING!!

The MazdaSpeed Mazda Protege is just as good in the turns as a IS300 and is JUST as fast 0-60mph and the quarter mile as the IS!!

Motor Trend got these #s with it:

2003 Mazda MazdaSpeed Protégé

0-60: 6.8
Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile: 15.1
1/4 Speed: 93

:lol: :lol: Damn thing is just as fast as my car too!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
575 Posts
shuggy said:
Seriously....

funny :lol:
cmon now, is300 is slow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Black RSX said:
shuggy said:
I really hope you are JOKING!!

The MazdaSpeed Mazda Protege is just as good in the turns as a IS300 and is JUST as fast 0-60mph and the quarter mile as the IS!!

It feels slow to drive, i did one at the mazda rev it up event a couple weeks ago, however as it is turbo'd you can up the boost. Plus one of the nice things about a car that comes with a factory turbo is that all of the plumbing is there if you want to upgrade the turbo yourself. Puting a turbo on an NA factory car is more of a chore. the protoege handles pretty well(very well for a car at that pricepoint) although the turbo was silent(must have been running very low boost or they have a lot of sound deadening material).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well being an owner of a Mazdaspeed Protege I have to say that in stock form my car will outhandle you is300's, and it will outrun it in a straight line, you can call bs all you want but i've ran 3 different is300's, and was able to take each one. Flame away, cuz I know everyone here will.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
phatneon said:
Well being an owner of a Mazdaspeed Protege I have to say that in stock form my car will outhandle you is300's, and it will outrun it in a straight line, you can call bs all you want but i've ran 3 different is300's, and was able to take each one. Flame away, cuz I know everyone here will.
dude, less talk, more action,
post ur location

·
Registered
2 Posts
Benign said:
phatneon said:
dude, less talk, more action,
post ur location
what does "PFS stage 1 - Nomura Tuned" mean?

it sounds like a modification. The comparison he was making, and the only reasonable comparison to make, is stock versus stock.

My friend who is a member of this forum, with an is300, a 215hp stock 2001, is the one who pointed this thread out to me in the first place, because he, an is300 owner, thought it was humorous how ignorant so many other is300 owners were. I like his car a lot, he likes my MSP a lot, I could have gotten either, and so could he. We are both very pleased with our choices and able to acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of our own cars as well as those of each other's. I dont understand why it is that you feel that the two should never be mentioned in the same sentence, as if the is300 is on another level.

stock MSP will destroy a stock is300 in the slalom or on any windy road.
striaght line would be a driver's race as long as the IS is a manual.
is300 has a higher level of fit and finish, is more posh, more comfortable, and has more ammenities
is300 also probably has more potential for maximum horsepower

you IS owners have quite a reputation for being ignorant and stuck-up, and there really doesnt seem to be any reason for it, you're not driving M3s......another reason im glad i got the protege. :)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
folks,

i respect both cars equally, it just that, at the end of the day, i prefer to have my lexus rather than your mazda (and i believe you too will make the same decision if you have the same amount of cash back in early 2002)

our car have been around for almost a decade (altezza form), so i think it is normal that they are slowly getting left behind by the competition

to slug420:
i do think that our car is on a different level (lexus & mazda anyone?), especially when they are boosted. now my car may not be the fastest among the other is300 "senpai" but with this "stage 1 form" i think i am quite confident that i can take more than half of your forum's msp

·
Registered
952 Posts
anybody on here that knows anything knows that tunability of an IS300 vs msp is completely in IS300's hand. You clearly bought the msp for a reason and your friend clearly bought his is300 for a reason. I have ran a msp and it was quick, quicker than i thought it would be but still not the type of car i want to have. I have been test driving a bunch of different sport sedans and others for my fiance'. All i can say was that it was very refreshing to get into my IS300 and have fun. Now as for the msp, it didn't win but did pretty good. I am not completely stock though and would probably take it by a bit through the twisties with my upgraded suspension. Now the mazdaspeed is basically a boosted protege' with suspension mods. Don't get me wrong, its a great bang for the buck car but each person wants something different. I am going for performance with the comfort and luxury of a Lexus. Now if you want to argue luxury and comfort of the mazdaspeed, that wouldn't be a good thing. two different classes just for that reason alone. thats just my opinon.--matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Benign said:
folks,
to slug420:
i do think that our car is on a different level (lexus & mazda anyone?), especially when they are boosted. now my car may not be the fastest among the other is300 "senpai" but with this "stage 1 form" i think i am quite confident that i can take more than half of your forum's msp
the cars, in stock form, which is the only reasonable way to compare them, are indeed on the same level of performance

what you mean to say by comparing lexus to mazda is that they are not in the same class (luxury and non-luxury)

and it appears judging by your comment about "taking more than half the MSPs with my stage1" that you are missing my point entirely. The point is stock for stock, they are very similar performance-wise. And thus are on the same level, and thus you should not be surprised when a MSP rolls up on you and wants to race. And while your 6k turbo kit might help you beat a protege in such a race, you still are not the M3 driving king of the road you would like the think you are and a 20k factory tuned protege is not out of line in expecting to be able to compete with an IS. Perhaps if you had splurged on the stage2 your FMIC would have indicated to the msp that you are not stock, and then you wouldnt have to worry about ppl who spent half as much as you not seeing you as anything special.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I say I outran a few of them, it wasn't by a lot, but I was still ahead in the end. I must say that I really do like the is300's though, I think they have to be about the best looking sedan on the market, but at the same time I like my car for what it is. Now the is300 is the new issue of turbo magazine is just on a whole other playing field, that is one bad car!!

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
slug420 said:
And while your 6k turbo kit might help you beat a protege in such a race, you still are not the M3 driving king of the road you would like the think you are
M3's? Who would ever want to be an M3? Sick cars, but they're slow. :roll:

The MSP is awesome... excellent handling characteristics. Back when I had a slightly mod'd IS (intake/exhaust) I ran an MSP from a light and walked away slowly... it wasn't a slaughter but the guy was losing ground. I will concede that perhaps he wasn't the best shifter in the world... every shift he fell a little farther back. Run what you brung though, eh?

Now I only race MSP's that want a piece and provoke me. It's not a pretty sight. :wink:

At the end of the day, just enjoy your car.

For the guy up in NC... if you ever come down to ATL post up again here and I'll let you see what BOOST will do to an IS300. :chill:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts