Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my SBM for only two weeks and I crashed it in the first snow storm. I hit the front and rear corner panels, both bumpers, and one of my taillights. My dad wants me to find out how much the parts cost online. Anyone know where to find out?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I crashed is because I didn't have my snow tires on. My dad doesn't believe me that I crashed because I needed snow tires. He's taking my car away for a long while because he says it's an unsafe car.
Originally posted by triz:
Damn dude sorry to hear that! Did you have the snow tires on?

·
15,322 Posts
thats just his excuse so he can drive the IS around.

sorry to hear that man, its gonna cost a shet load. my IS was injured too. the estimate i got was $3500+ and that wasn't as bad as the damage you got.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think it would be cheaper to buy a front and rear body kit instead of getting OEM bumpers?
Originally posted by DonCorleone:
thats just his excuse so he can drive the IS around.

sorry to hear that man, its gonna cost a shet load. my IS was injured too. the estimate i got was $3500+ and that wasn't as bad as the damage you got.

·
15,322 Posts
not if you buy an altezza kit, since the cost of shipping, tariffs, custom fiberglassing (to extend it to fit the IS300) and labor would be equal or greater than replacing with oem panels. plus i dont think insurace will pay for it. there might be a few kits made specifically for the US IS300 (is200, altezza have shorter bumpers so kits for them must be made to fit the US IS300) but the ones avail will be high in price and you might not get one you like since there aren't many to choose from. if you are paying for the repairs yourself (ie you don't want higher rates or haven't notified DMV) then you might as well get what you want. one taillight will cost you around $300.

to give you an idea of costs; my repair est...
replace rear fender (drivers side rear panel, one big pc that extends to right above the driver side mirror) replace taillight, repaint/repair bumper; fender, trunk, other fender, new emblems and labor, $3876.14

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
DonCorleone

COME ON TELL US HOW IT HAPPEND, U STILL HAVENT SAID, MAYBE U HAVE AND I DIDNT GET TO HEAR, WE WONT LAUGH

·
8,880 Posts
And I tought me scratching my rim when driving on Potenzas in a snow storm was bad.

I feel your pain.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Looks like the first casualty from the under 21 crew. You live in Michigan and don't have snow tires?!? Smoooooth

·
Registered
219 Posts
Apparently you missed (or ignored) ALL of the discussions about NOT driving the IS in the snow with the stock SUMMER tires. The car is excellent in the snow - with snow tire (or even all season).

·
Registered
667 Posts
Please, Please, Please don't wreck up your (collective) IS300's. I really don't want my
insurance to skyrocket. Screw around when there's nobody around and you're sure you have enough traction to pull it off. Driving the IS at or close to the limit requires a constant anylsis in your mind of the available traction.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yo DonCorleone... $300 a taillight? WHOA? Cant we go get some APC lights? I mean dont they make "altezza style" light for the IS300?
Im sure they could? and it would only cost round $100 buck a pair? What you think?

·
15,322 Posts
rarjoon, they are called euros, since we all know that european cars had them waaaaay before the IS came out.

yeah apc lights cost half that and are 1/4 the quality.... yups....

1. nobody wants to mess up their $35,000 car.
2. so far every IS owner who confessed to injuring their car was not fooling around when it happened
3. if you can't afford snow tires, I don't think you should be driving the IS (as it is not financially wise, but I'm just an 18 year old, what do I know?)
4. I backed my car into a hand rail (like those rails that are on both sides of an access ramp) it was 4am, I was leaving work, had parked in a space never parked in before, it is at an odd angle and when there are other cars on either side of it, you have to back out at a funny angle, I looked back and saw the rail on the other side, thought I had cleared both of them and continued backing out... Yes I did check my mirrors and yes I'm a total retard
5. like i said, I'm an 18 year old, what do I know, look to #4 to support my statements.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
DonCorleone
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing