Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Wel, the other night a friend came over to get a ride in my car since he hasn't ridden in a turbo IS yet. So he came over and he hopped in my car and we took a little joy ride around the neighborhood.

Usually when I have it floored, it downshifts to 1st when I'm just crusing at around 20mph, then 2nd at around 35mph or so, then it JUMPS into 3rd gear at around 55mph and thats when it barks the tires usually.

Anyway, the first time I floored it, everything was normal and it was shifting fine, then I took a left going up a slight hill and when the tranny shifted into 3rd, it was like it popped into neutral! No grab at all! I was like wtf happened?

So I backed off and it grabbed. So I was thinking that was kinda weird.

We took another left onto a different street and this time it shifted fine into 3rd as always, but we i got to 4th it slipped again, like it had popped into neutral. I was getting quite concerned at this point.

I decided to take it on the freeway really quick to check out 5th gear. I got on the freeway at decent speeds at the tranny was behaving fine. Downshifted into 3rd when I floored it, shifted into 4th, and eventualy into 5th just fine. Then I started just cruising alond at about 80mph in 5th. Everything seemed fine.

As I was exiting the freeway, I was able to e-shift and compression brake like I do just fine. When I got off and hit my first light, I had to stop at the red, and when I continued, (in drive), when it shifted into 3rd under normal driving, it's like it popped into neutral again! kept slipping in 3rd and 4th on the way back home under no load.

I thought it might be the fluid, so I got home and checked. it was right at the perfect level, but it looked a bit dirty on the dipstick.

I didn't drive it at all yesterday, and when I got home I changed the tranny fluid. The old fluid was dark maroon color, and you couldn't really see through, but it didn't really smell burnt from what I could tel, just looked like old fluid.

Put in 2.5 qrts of new Type IV Toyota tranny fluid and went to drive it. SAME THING, slips in 3rd and 4th about 75% of the time.

NOW, I DON'T think it's my clutch packs, but I'm not sure. Cause I would expect that they would start slipping progressively. Not being able to bark the tires one minute, then act like complete nuetral the next time. Sometimes grabbing hard, other times not.

Does anybody with experience have any idea's what might be going on?

I have the FSM's, but not the tranny one. It suggest's it could be the 3rd gear shift solenoid, 4th gear shift solenoid, and if it was consistenly slipping, then the clutche's for those gears.

But the thing is it's intermitent. I'm wondering, since I have a valve body upgrade, if maybe an accumulator is getting stuck cause the dirty fluid that was in there? or maybe a solenoid is not actuating smoothly and binding cause the nasty fluid?

Any pro's in here with experience?

Thanks guys!

Kane

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update! yes already!

Peter called me just a little bit ago and he said this is a semi common problem with some auto's.

It's the semi weak point in the tranny that has let loose due to the hard shifts and the strong load put under the tranny during 3rd gear power band. under heavy load, it just weakens it, and eventually it'll just snap in some cases.

He described my symptoms perfectly and knew exactly what happened.

PFS makes a stronger part for the auto's but they have to put it in, cause you have to tear apart the tranny.

So I'll be taking my tranny out tomorrow and sending it to peter on monday or tuesday. He said it's a 1-2 day turnaround and he would be able to have it back to me by mid next week, if not the end of this week, depending on when it get's to him.

I emailed Peter about this yesterday, he got back to me this morning via email and called me about an hour, ON a Saturday, when he's out of town, with a cold!

This is what you call customer service!!!!!!!

Kane

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
Damn!!!

that is some SICK ASS (inagoodway :D ) Cust. Svc. i am very impressed.... :eek:

sorry to hear of your issues lately Kane.. .but thanks for sharing, & glad to hear you will be dialed soon anyway.... keep us all posted & good luck... thank god you have "GNARLY" set of tools eh??

edg

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
NOW THIS IS WHY I'M A PROUD OWNER OF A PFS PRODUCT!!! :D

like i said before, when and if the time comes "we (clients) WILL be taken care of"

hope your tranny gets "re-juvinated" :lol:

wonder when pfs takes apart your tranny if they gonna inpsect it in general? I guess this a dumb question, sure they will

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
Ok that's scary...I don't want any of that sh*t happening to my auto tranny...I don't think I could afford anything that involves ripping the tranny apart at this point :oops:
Any updates on your car?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Kanine21 said:
update! yes already!

Peter called me just a little bit ago and he said this is a semi common problem with some auto's.

It's the semi weak point in the tranny that has let loose due to the hard shifts and the strong load put under the tranny during 3rd gear power band. under heavy load, it just weakens it, and eventually it'll just snap in some cases.
does this mean that all stage 1 owner will basically faced the same problem after a certain period of time if we dont get the auto tyranny upgrades?

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Wxman said:
lil' IS 300 said:
Ok that's scary...I don't want any of that sh*t happening to my auto tranny...I don't think I could afford anything that involves ripping the tranny apart at this point :oops:
Any updates on your car?
Yes, not to threadjack but I dyno'ed without the piggyback below and got the numbers in sig. Trac still blinks, misfire is NOT causing it. Major possibility is the 02 sensor. Will be checked out next weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to make one thing clear. This is NOT a problem with PFS at all really. This is a matter of the valve body and hard shifting in addition to increased torque and power that will create this situation.

If you have a valve body upgrade, and the shifts are hard like they should be under load when FI, then this is a very likely occurance.

I can't say how much this will be as far as price, but it's not nearly as bad as it could be.

The tranny will be strong as hell when I get it back! :p

Thanks for all the good wishes guys! Your support is very appreciated and welcomed!!! :D

Kane

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Yea, this is what I tried to say in one of the valve body upgrade threads.

Valve body upgrades will for the most part make your shifts fast, crisp and hard. But many people think it is an upgrade to make the tranny stronger. It is not. I will put more stress on your tranny so the possibility of something like this happening is greater. Just wanted to share the info, and bring it back to life.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup, certain things actually do last longer when you have a vb upgrade, BUT, when you're hammering the hell out of it like I do, and you got a decent amount of power, shit will break.

BTW, congrats on the nice numbers Alex! glad to see you're where you're supposed to be and the misfire's are gone.

Kane

lil' IS 300 said:
Yea, this is what I tried to say in one of the valve body upgrade threads.

Valve body upgrades will for the most part make your shifts fast, crisp and hard. But many people think it is an upgrade to make the tranny stronger. It is not. I will put more stress on your tranny so the possibility of something like this happening is greater. Just wanted to share the info, and bring it back to life.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Something I might add even though I don't know shit...I don't think I've ever ridden in Kane's car where he hasn't floored it from every stop. He rips on his tranny like no other person I've seen before...w/ the VB upgrade that he has...it must be ripping on the internals of the tranny. So for most of you I don't think this would be too big of a problem...but for the crazy fools that drive like there is no tomorrow, talk to Peter about an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update.

Well, the tranny is out, thx to my Dad for helping me again. I worked solo taking the small crap off starting at around 1pm today, I took an hour break and my parents came home and Dad helped me get it out the rest of the way.

So in total, it took about 4 1/2 - 5 hours of actual work to get it out. Not too bad for all the crap we had to take out.

I weighed the tranny without the torque converter and it's about 139lbs. I guesstimate the TC to weigh about 25-30lbs maybe. Good thing I don't have to send that with it.

Anyway, does anybody have any suggestions for freight shipping? I was thinking FedEx freight maybe?

Any suggestions are welcome, I want to get it there by thursday or friday if possible.

Thanks!

Kane

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Kane,

Try Yellow Freight. They are one of the better and more reasonable companies when sending larger packages. If you do a web search, you should find it.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool, thanks Marc,

I checked their site (yellowfreight.com BTW), and their site is down right now.

Peter suggested Delta Airlines. They do freight shipping, and it's same day. I just have to bring it to the airport, and have it picked up over in virginia and delivered to PFS.

On their charge matrix, it seems that It should be about $120 each way I figure. Not bad at all, especially for one day delivery!

Kane

Wxman said:
Kane,

Try Yellow Freight. They are one of the better and more reasonable companies when sending larger packages. If you do a web search, you should find it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts