Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my is drove it a little , like to corner and back it was overheating too fast. As I went down then line of possibilities I found that the water pump housing unit was cracked. But in order for to do that I might as well change the seals and timing belt but couldn't get the harmonic balancer bolt off till later on after dissembling the teintioner and noticing that the cover to was cut to try and go around the harmonic balancer in which was able to finish the water pump but I took off the timing belt off and some how turned the pulley. Lol dang I'm kicking myself in the behind cause now the crankshaft wont turn a whole 180. Help can't find to close valves to put back on top dead center

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
532 Posts
You need to rent a tool to hold the crank pulley to remove the bolt so that you can see what’s actually going on.

·
Registered
891 Posts
you cant turn the crank without the cambelt on otherwise the pistons hit the valves, if you have tried you have probably bent the valves :cautious:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Im not sure how much before and after TDC the cams open the valves, but it obviously doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room with 6 cylinders moving around. If you search there are a few who have made the mistake of spinning the crank on not realizing the valves have hit the pistons and bent, its not till they have it back together and the engine wont start cause it isn't making any compression on a couple of cylinders that they find out. One recent one i saw it was difficult to visually see the bent valves not sealing, so it doesn't need to collide by much to bend it too far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts