Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was doing donuts in my 2001 automatic and everything seemed fine after that. started my car that same night and it kind of hesitated to start but did anyways. The following day it started perfectly fine but I felt like the car wasn’t running correctly. Kept hiccuping and taking a little too long to shift and speed up. I let the car sit for 2 hours and then it would only crank and not start. It’s a strong crank and it wanted to start with starter spray and backfired once. Replaced the fuel pump and filter. Checked the relays and fuses, no signs of burns or anything. Thinking it could be crankshaft position sensor??? Any help??

·
3,347 Posts
Check for fuel and spark. You can guess, but without checking. It would be a long shot that you get it with trying to just replace stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since I disconnected the battery to do the fuel pump and other things, it didn’t save any codes so I’m not sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i changed my spark plugs recently and I seem to have spark, if it wanted to start with starter spray that kind of tells me it could be more of a fuel related. I’m not sure how I can see if my lines have pressure. But I’ve heard that the cps can cut off fuel and other combustion components

·
3,347 Posts
i changed my spark plugs recently and I seem to have spark, if it wanted to start with starter spray that kind of tells me it could be more of a fuel related. I’m not sure how I can see if my lines have pressure. But I’ve heard that the cps can cut off fuel and other combustion components
Rent a fuel pressure tester at the auto parts store. That will tell you.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
848 Posts
You can listen to see if the pump is priming when you can turn the key on.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
848 Posts
Crank sensor could cause a crank no start scenario. If you are certain the fuel pump works (pull the rear seat bottom, close the doors, be quiet and turn the key to the on position and listen for it to prime) then you can hook up a scanner that has live data capabilities. From there access the rpm reading and see if a signal is given. If not then replace the crank sensor.

Reactions: 01 SolarYellow

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crank sensor could cause a crank no start scenario. If you are certain the fuel pump works (pull the rear seat bottom, close the doors, be quiet and turn the key to the on position and listen for it to prime) then you can hook up a scanner that has live data capabilities. From there access the rpm reading and see if a signal is given. If not then replace the crank sensor.
So when I have the key in the on position nothing happens but when I crank the car the pump starts to work. Is that normal or should it prime when the key is in the on position? Also if I’m really quiet I can hear a relay under the hood click when I put the key in the on position. If it’s not priming with the key in the on position, how could I fix that if it is priming when I crank it? Could it be from wiring it wrong when replacing the pump?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
848 Posts
Well. The wiring should have been a no brainer. I doubt that could have been messed up. You need to make sure you are getting fuel up to the rail at this point. Do you have access to a scanner that can read live data?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well. The wiring should have been a no brainer. I doubt that could have been messed up. You need to make sure you are getting fuel up to the rail at this point. Do you have access to a scanner that can read live data?
I have a scanner but since I reset the battery it won’t give me any codes. I got a sensor and I am replacing it today to see if that helps at all. I heard if the sensor is bad it can cut fuel pressure. Not too sure tho. This is another thing too, when I crank the car the pump runs but I’ve pulled it out multiple times and the hose that comes off the top is always dry so I’m wondering if it’s even sending gas

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
848 Posts
When you disassembled the pump hanger did you mess with the siphon valve on the side of the hanger? Also did you reattach the rubber hose that is inside the tank?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you disassembled the pump hanger did you mess with the siphon valve on the side of the hanger? Also did you reattach the rubber hose that is inside the tank?
I don’t think I messed with any of the valves and reconnected all the hoses. There’s that rubber bushing that goes under the pump and it’s was all melted and torn apart. Im also afraid a piece may have gotten into a line and clogged it but I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
848 Posts
Wait so did you put the rubber bushing under the pump or did you pull it out and leave it out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I eventually got it running, it was that very bushing causing the problem. The pump kept falling out of place and not sending fuel

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
848 Posts
Yea I was going to say, the bushing is crucial otherwise it would fall out. Glad you got it fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts