Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a wierd problem with my car...this could happen to anyone. I noticed that my drive belt is not spinning in sync with my engine while reving.
***This is not caused from my accident***
This caused MANY troubles such as:

1. Alternater not charging (battery light turns on)
2. Lost of power steering
3. All sorts of neat troubles...car died on me out of no where

At first i thought it was the alternator not charging...checked all the fuses....everything OK. Checked wires from ECU to alternator-OK

Tried a different battery-no go, still not charging

Checked all grounds-no go

Then the least expected, i was reving my car trying to make the alternator charge then i notice the belt problem.

I took off the drive belt to see that the crank pulley is free spinning, the rubber around the crank pulley broke. I actually can pry the WHOLE pulley out. Here's a pic:

[/URL][/IMG]

Now i need my crank pulley replaced and its going to be a bitch trying to remove the crank bolt.

These are one of the wierd problems for the IS. Otherwise its a perfect car!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Interesting...

How many miles did your car have?

Glad you figured it out.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
haha wow. Goodluck pal.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess i got bad luck. Mine is a 2001 IS300 with 64,000km. DAMMMMMMMMMM

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Have you heard of this happening to other people?

Are you essentially saying the part of the pulley that comes in contact with the belt completely separated from the inner portion?!?!?! :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
yes, this is "common". or as common as "common" problems come on the IS300. I've seen this happen on 3 cars so far.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the crank pulley replaced and everything is good now. One of the first symptoms is when you start your car you get no power steering. OR when your driving the battery is not charging.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Damn, this problem plagues all the 2JZ's.. This problem is REALLY common for the Supras 2JZ-GTE, I guess it also occurs on the 2JZ-GE as well..

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Is this for all 2JZ's? Or mostly for 2JZ's that have been boosted beyond belief.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is a stock 01 with aftermarket muffler.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I needed my crank pulley replaced too... the guys at Bullock City noticed some wiggle room when they were replacing my timing belt (I was at 196K). They didn't charge me labour, but that part cost me 400+ :(

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the part was very expensive. They didnt charge you labour becasue when changing the timing belt, the crank pulley needs to come off...thats when they noticed the damaged pulley.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah, the part was very expensive. They didnt charge you labour becasue when changing the timing belt, the crank pulley needs to come off...thats when they noticed the damaged pulley.
yup, lucky me, hehe :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts