Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Last weekend I purchased a parts car 2001 is300 with LSD auto. Basic background of the car is that it sat for 3 years due to something the PO did. car has 98,018 miles on it. The engine cranks strong but doesn’t start. Security light turns off once key is in and in the on Position. I have put a new battery in it. Checked all the fuses ( all good ). I have replaced the igniter, spark plugs, MAF.
It has some cheap ass amazon alarm on it but it’s just wired to the ignition. Plan on removing that after work today.
I had my GF turn the car on and I put my ear on the back seat and I can’t hear the fuel pump prime. Does that mean my Fuel Pump is bad?

also I don’t think the car is getting spark. I tried to squirt some starting fluid in there to get it to hiccup or something and It just cranks no change in tempo. So I suspect something isn’t allowing the spark.

anything else I should check? Like throttle body or something?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Hello everyone. Last weekend I purchased a parts car 2001 is300 with LSD auto. Basic background of the car is that it sat for 3 years due to something the PO did. car has 98,018 miles on it. The engine cranks strong but doesn’t start. Security light turns off once key is in and in the on Position. I have put a new battery in it. Checked all the fuses ( all good ). I have replaced the igniter, spark plugs, MAF.
It has some cheap ass amazon alarm on it but it’s just wired to the ignition. Plan on removing that after work today.
I had my GF turn the car on and I put my ear on the back seat and I can’t hear the fuel pump prime. Does that mean my Fuel Pump is bad?

also I don’t think the car is getting spark. I tried to squirt some starting fluid in there to get it to hiccup or something and It just cranks no change in tempo. So I suspect something isn’t allowing the spark.

anything else I should check? Like throttle body or something?
Remove the aftermarket alarm first. Then if it still does not start. I would look at the fuel pump.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I removed the car alarm ( it was just a ignition kill/interrupt ). I put new NGK plugs in, new coil packs , new ignitor, new fuel pump, replaced the throttle body. Pumped the old gas out, put new 93 in. I am getting good fuel pressure and now I have a strong spark.
Now it cranks and kinda wants to turn over but it kind of wants to. Not really sure what I should check next. I’m suspecting a head gasket or something. I did notice when I was swapping out plugs 3 & 4 had some milky water / fuel in it. I vacuumed / unplugged the EFI and spun it over with no plugs to eject the fluid.

also the body harness in the driver side has this crap going on

Here is a video of it

·
Registered
144 Posts
If I’m right that sounds like the timing on the car is not correct. If you watch this video below, it sounds similar:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I checked the timing, all good there. However I did a compression test and it doesn't look good. Cyl #1 has 120psi , #2 has 20psi, #3 has 0psi #4 has 10psi, #5 has 25psi and #6 has 75psi.

Would a bad head gasket cause these numbers? There is a ton of fuel in #3, 4 & 5 cylinders. I vaccumed them out again and put some oil in the cylinder to see if I could get a pressure increase nothing changed.

As this is my parts car Im not really worried about pulling the motor and rebuilding it.. Hopefully I will know more once I get the head off next weekend.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, I checked the timing, all good there. However I did a compression test and it doesn't look good. Cyl #1 has 120psi , #2 has 20psi, #3 has 0psi #4 has 10psi, #5 has 25psi and #6 has 75psi.

Would a bad head gasket cause these numbers? There is a ton of fuel in #3, 4 & 5 cylinders. I vaccumed them out again and put some oil in the cylinder to see if I could get a pressure increase nothing changed.

As this is my parts car Im not really worried about pulling the motor and rebuilding it.. Hopefully I will know more once I get the head off next weekend.
Camshaft Timing is one of them but you checked the timing. Bad head gasket would be my guess. Piston rings can also cause low compression.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

Could have bent the valves or head gasket. Rings could be also. I would say you will need to take it apart to find out more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I was hoping it would be something simple haha, Well since its my parts car its definitely getting pulled and rebuilt. I have a ton of extra 2j parts in the garage, and a set of 2jzgte non vvti pistons with new like 10k on them. Just gonna get the block refreshed and take the head to the machine shop.

Thank you guys for the insight. I should have did a compression test from the get go, atleast I have some nice yard art and new stuff for my other car :p

twinztwang.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts