Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to get a car wash for the first time yesterday afternoon. Turns out the temperature in Toronto yesterday was hovering around 15 degrees F (damn cold). Last night I got into my car to go somewhere and I noticed that the drivers side mirror was cracked. Upon further inspection there was not damage whatsoever to the mirror housing itself. I wonder if water got behind the mirror during the car wash and then cracked the mirror when it froze. What makes is more strange is that the car I test drove prior to buying my car a couple of weeks ago also had a cracked driver side mirror. It was also really cold on that day.

Has anyone else had this happen to them in sub zero weather??? Perhaps there is a design defect in the way the glass is attached to the mirror unit. I know this wasn't vandalism because a small crack started from the edge of the mirror and then worked its way along (similar to what happens to cracked windshields in the winter).

JordanK.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago. It was around 15 and I washed the car and the drivers side mirror cracked. But dont worry because it is covered. But this must be a common problem because the part did not get in yet and I was told by the dealer a part never takes longer then a week to come in. So I figure this is happening all over hence the shortage of mirrors. Who knows....its just a guess.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Happened to me the second week I had my car. I got in the car on like a 20 degree day, started my car and in under a minute my drivers side door mirror started to crack really slowly until it finally reached both ends. The dealer had no problem fixing it right away.

------------------
Straight up in my 01'BlueMicaBlack

All Flava

1 - 3 of 3 Posts