Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my problem :

The plastic case for the master key has broken, everything is still working fine (lock, unlock, trunk) but I fear that it will break soon or later.

So i've gone to Toyota since the closest Lexus Dealership is at 1h20 of my home and they have contacted the lexus dealership for the price to replace it... 120$ !!! They need a new case but they only come with the uncut key... so it's 80$ for the key and 40$ to cut the new one... total rip off :suspiciou

I have looked around on the net and found some replacement plastic case on Ebay for 15$. Will it be ok or i'm gona have some problem with???

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just had this happen to both of my keys and I just popped them open and supper glued the cracks. The internalals pull right and if you glue it from the inside you won't have the residue everywhere and no one will know but you. So far mine are holding together fine. Give a try before you buy the replacement, Screw paying $120 for a damn key. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat right now as the original poster! I think I may try looking on ebay for a generic or something, I don't want to pay that much money at the dealership!

Did the one you got from ebay have the "L" logo on it, VP500? Any issues so far?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat right now as the original poster! I think I may try looking on ebay for a generic or something, I don't want to pay that much money at the dealership!

Did the one you got from ebay have the "L" logo on it, VP500? Any issues so far?

Nope and had it well over a year

and yes, It did have the L on it

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it's nice to know that... I think i'll just go with one on Ebay finally :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've just ordered it from ebay for 10$ with 12$ for shipping it here in Canada. i'll an update with pictures when i'll get it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey JeeCee, got the link for that key on ebay? Mine is doing the same thing, and the dealer wants 350CAN + tax. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice link!

I just wanted to make an update on my key...:suspiciou since it was the top case that was broken i had a surprise when i opened the key and saw that the key was molded IN the top case :pissed: so the new case was now useless for me...

I've just superglued it back and now i just wish it will hold together... otherwise i'll do what this guy have done :p

Anyway now i know that there is a diy for the next time and i still got the new key :bigSmile:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had both of mine replaced as warranty items. The first one when I was leasing and the second one when I bought my leased car as a certified pre-owned.

·
Registered
960 Posts
would this work..

I know keys have been discussed a lot, but I did not find my exact answer?

Anyways my key case broke.. if i were to buy the replacement for 45 at lextasy
would i be able to get a locksmith to cut it and just place the program/internals to the new key and will it work? do i need to reprogram?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I bought the same thing as the picture above from ebay, came out to like $20 after shipping. mine is held by super glue for now, but that isnt going to last... theres a DIY someone did to incorporate the old key with the new key... I cant remember where the link was...

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Don't buy anything from Lextasy. They don't have a good record.

·
Registered
960 Posts
thanks for the information guys. Ill check on ebay too. I dont really want to do the diy seems like a bit of work.. rather just find a good palce that can do a sidewinder or laser cut ofr a decent price and swap the inside. Im fine with one master and spare for now

·
Registered
165 Posts
nice link!

I just wanted to make an update on my key...:suspiciou since it was the top case that was broken i had a surprise when i opened the key and saw that the key was molded IN the top case :pissed: so the new case was now useless for me...

I've just superglued it back and now i just wish it will hold together... otherwise i'll do what this guy have done :p

Anyway now i know that there is a diy for the next time and i still got the new key :bigSmile:
:pissed: I bought a key blank on ebay thinking that I could simply remove the uncut blade from the housing, screw in my blank and be done with it. But the key is molded into the side with the button holes. Does anyone know where I can get a key with that I can separate both front and back from the uncut key itself??? I really don't wanna spend the $30 to cut a new key.

I also would like to add that the woman broke the second key tonight. So i'll be using the emergency walet key for a while and my wife will be using her hyundai from now on.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I doubt this will help anyone now, but I did spy this the other day on Alldata.

"In addition, improvements to the material have been made to increase the durability of the key casing."

As this was only recognized by Lexus in 2006 as a problem, it may be worth a shot for those that still have warranty left.

BODY
BO005-06
REVISED

Title:
REPLACEMENT RKE KEY CASINGS

Models:
'98 - '05 Applicable Lexus

February 24, 2006

TSIB REVISION NOTICE :
^ September 12, 2006: 2004 - 2005 model year RX 330 vehicles have been added to Applicable Vehicles. The Parts Information table has been updated.

^ May 11, 2006: 2004 - 2005 model year ES 330, 2003 - 2005 model year GX 470, 2002 - 2005 model year IS 300, 2001 - 2005 model year LS 430, 2003 - 2005 LX 470, 1999 - 2003 RX 300, and 2001 - 2005 model year SC 430 vehicles have been added to Applicable Vehicles. The Parts Information table has been updated.

^ March 10, 2006: The Replacement Cut Key Casing P/N for 1998 - 2000 model year LX 470 vehicles in the Parts Information table has been updated.

Previous versions of this TSIB should be discarded.

Introduction

Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) outer key casings are now available without the transmitter assembly. In addition, improvements to the material have been made to increase the durability of the key casing.

Applicable Vehicles
^ 1998 - 2005 model year LX 470 vehicles.

^ 1999 - 2003 model year RX 300 vehicles.

^ 2001 - 2005 model year LS 430 and SC 430 vehicles.

^ 2002 - 2005 model year IS 300 vehicles.

^ 2003 - 2005 model year GX 470 vehicles.

^ 2004 - 2005 model year ES 330 and RX 330 vehicles.

Digger08

Reactions: rvalero
1 - 20 of 21 Posts