Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a pair of L-Sportline sides but on one of the sides, it has a major crack in it. The seller claims he doesn't know about it (still working with him and the Mod on this) and his packaging wasn't the best either.

But is this fixable?

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is. There are some polyurethane adhesives which are perfekt for this cracks.
Thanks psaiko for the info. I hope the body-shop won't charge me a shit load for this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
do it yourself and save money. just take a soldering iron and stich it back together and skim coat it with a little bondO.

Reactions: Chigger

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yeah there are definitely adhesives for repairing polyurethane...my body shop has this 1 min. 2-part adhesive that comes with a mixing nozzle that attaches to the end of the tube called Super Grip that you need a small caulking gun to apply and it holds great. Look for it at the body shop supplies stores...

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. +rep to everybody for your input/advice.

Looks like this 2-part poly mix/adhesive will be my solution. Let's hope the body-shop won't charge me too much extra for it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
bump for chigger's help. hope it will work out flawless Bob. don't forget to post pics of the final product.

Reactions: Chigger

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I use a 2 part structural epoxy adhesive called T-88.

It is usually carried by fibreglass and body supply shops.

If you can find it, this is the best glue I have ever seen.

It can be sanded, painted, dries clear and is impervious to oil, water etc.

System Three: Products: T-88

Once this stuff usually bonds, it will probably never break in the same spot again.

It works great on fibreglass, it should work well on Poly, with no adverse effects to the plastic.

Your crack will need to be supported from the inside, so definately will require some sort of patch

Digger08

·
Registered
338 Posts
Um, not to jump this thread. But i have a vizage rear lip where the muffler has burned a slight hole into the lip. Is that fixable with the same glue? I know it's a little different because it is a hole.

BUN

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Um, not to jump this thread. But i have a vizage rear lip where the muffler has burned a slight hole into the lip. Is that fixable with the same glue? I know it's a little different because it is a hole.

BUN
Um... You might have to use some type of bondo if it will adhere or fiberglass. Because i know if your lip is polyurethane then it "supposedly" cannot be structurally repaired. thats what i was told when some dbag fender bender'd into me. No damage really but the screws holding on his license plate put holes in my rear bumper. That was it, two little skittle sized holes and the bumper needed to be replaced and i knew they werent jus trying to get money because the guy who hit me, his bro owned the shop. so i think you can fiberglass it or a type of bondo will do.

You might want to find a way to prevent it from happening again i you do fix it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am going to try some adhesive on my Wald lip, got cracked when I had to rush out of a parking lot. Any good sites to order some adhesive from, or any stores that carry it?

Thanks,

-Will

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to try some adhesive on my Wald lip, got cracked when I had to rush out of a parking lot. Any good sites to order some adhesive from, or any stores that carry it?

Thanks,

-Will
I was told to check any websites that sells Polyurethane material/equipment. Also, you can ask the body-shop if they carry and sell any.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts