Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and checked out this vehicle today and got a test drive, and after about 2-3 hours, got the tag price from ~$26,000 down to $23,700. Car has everything except for navi and heated seats I think, and got only 35,000 miles on it.

So is that price a good deal or can I really go lower? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
221 Posts
nahpxela said:
I went and checked out this vehicle today and got a test drive, and after about 2-3 hours, got the tag price from ~$26,000 down to $23,700. Car has everything except for navi and heated seats I think, and got only 35,000 miles on it.

I'd sell you my '02 for not much more than that. Mine is loaded, probably cleaner, <22,000 miles, nav and heated seats.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
nahpxela said:

Dealers can ALWAYS go lower on used cars, the question is, WILL they. I haven't checked www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com for pricing, which I assume you have, but if you can buy near trade-in value you're doing great, ESPECIALLY on a certified car that has the 3 year/100k mile warranty. The question is, how badly do you want the car; if you could walk away from it with no hard feelings, offer them 22,800 and if they don't even attempt to counter any further, then tell them you'll think about it. Usually when they can TASTE the sale, they'll go after it harder. Good luck!

·
Registered
656 Posts
You can get them lower. Tell them you are going to leave to look at another IS and see what happens. The dealer I bought from ('02 IS w/29,600 miles, heated seats, no nav, immaculate condition) wanted $23,900, and I had them down to $22,600 when I told them I had another IS I was looking at only 13 miles away (this was the truth, but they don't know that) and I might or might not be back. The salesman knew I wasn't satisfied, but he let me walk out the door anyway. I was sitting in my old car in the parking lot to leave when the salesman knocked on my window and said if I would take the car right then he would knock off another $300. I took the car right there. It's all just a big game, and dealers make huge profits off used cars, much more so than off new cars. Check KBB and Edmunds and try to get as close to trade-in value as possible. I think I was only $600 over that, and based on the great condition of the car, I felt like I got a good deal. I think it's important to let the seller know you are ready to buy that day IF you get a good deal. They will usually try harder, like Michael said above, to sell you the car if they know you are serious.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts