Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to drive to CT tomorrow for a dang speeding ticket I got over labor day weekend. Anyone that has been to court in CT have any advice? I know here in NH you show up and they play a little video basically explaining how to plea and what the process is. Then the prosecutor takes you outside for a lil chat. Then once your name is called you go before the judge. Is this also how it works in CT?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Not in CT. you go in after they search you, wait until your name is called, then you go to a prosecuter and they tell what the charge is and how much the ticket is, then if you plead not guilty, they ( the prosecuter) usually cut the price of the ticket half after that you can either decide to pay it or come back to court.

good luck man

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Even if I already plead not guilty when I sent the ticket in? I really hope I don't have to go back another time since I gotta take a vacation day just for this, drive 2+ hours each way. I'm assuming I'll loose but I gotta fight it to prevent the points from getting on my license.

Thanks for the help 2pac.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i got my first ticket in NY and it did not show up in CT, plus if you plead not guilty they usually reduce the ticket, sometimes by half.
PLUS YOU SHOULD NEVER PLEAD GUILTY, EVEN IF YOU ARE. :shame:
MAKE THEM WORK FOR YOUR MONEY

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow this was an experience. The court room was filled with 130 people. All for speeding related tickets. It wasn't even a trial. In NH you plead not guily, send your ticket in then show up on the date they send you for your trial. Where you talk to the prosecutor/cop that day and the judge decides your fate. You were right in CT this was a pretrail of sorts where they just basically announce to everyone that if your ticket was speeding 79 and under you could opt to pay a fine of $30 or if 80 mph and over $60. Very weird indeed. Of course you had the right to waive the plea bargain and go to trial. Since I had to get up at 5:30 drive 2+ hours in pouring rain, take a vacation day from work, there was no way I wanted to do that again. Even tho I only pleaded not guilty in the first place to prevent the points I just cut my losses and went home saving 200 dollars. Between gas and tolls I paid like 20 bux and the original ticket was for 279. So beware anyone reading this, fighting tickets in CT is a painful and long process. On a good note I did get some great use outta the stock NAV. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts