Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done alot of searches for clips of the HKS hiper but almost all of them are dead, could anybody post some clips of it. Also i have seen some pictures of this exhaust angled and then others with it angled, how does it come straight or angled?

·
Registered
338 Posts
sorry no clips for ya, but i'll let ya know the hiper is angled, looks sweet! i'm sure someone will have some clips for ya.

·
Registered
323 Posts
mine seems to be louder when warmed up. when cold...i have been told its quite quiet

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i am going to get headers for Christmas would that make it a lot louder or not make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
323 Posts
i believe it would make a pretty big difference... me personally, i dont have headers so i couldnt tell you... but im pretty sure headers will always make you louder.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Yeah, headers will definitely make it louder. And the Hiper is almost the same as the Carbon Ti, so you may wanna search for that as well.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i have searched for both and all the ones i have found are dead, does anybody have one or know of one that has one?

·
Registered
338 Posts
yeah i have it. i'm not sure how loud it is when it warmes up, but unless somone says different i can't see it being that big of a difference. i only had it on for maybe a minute while it was still on the lift at the exhaust shop...didn't like how quiet it was, so i had the res cut out right then. ive seen the comment of 'sounds almost stock at idle, but gets louder at wot'... i can at least say i know the quiet idle is true. i couldnt imagine this exhaust being to loud for anyone w/o any other exhaust mods, and to simply cut the res out afterwards if its to quiet, then i can see it working for those of us that want a louder exhaust as well.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
First off...cabon-ti and the hiper are exactly the same except for cometic reason and a titanium tip. Second of all...if you have no other exhaust modifications, the hiper or any other axel back will sound pretty soft...almost stock imo. At idle, it sounds stock except for cold start ups and once you get passed 3k rpm while you are driving, you will hear a little rumble...nothing very loud...some guy once revved at me when i only had the axel back and I was too ashame to rev back since the damn thing is so soft. All hipers are tilted....you might be looking at another exhaust if you seen a straight one....probably the dragger. Here's a sound clip of my car but this is with the obx header.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=271998

·
Registered
8,460 Posts

as you can see in the pic, it comes out angled

if i have time tonight, i'll throw up a video clip of how it sounds.

different angle:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, so if i wanted a decently loud exhaust, like with a noticeable difference, would you suggest this exhaust or something like the greddy evo II or the Apexi N1

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Are you looking for sound or power? If you're into the sound, I'd say go with the Greddy Evo 2 because it sounds deep and throaty. The Hiper does give a few more ponies but I doubt you'll even notice the difference. Don't get me wrong, the hiper is loud but I think the Greddy Evo II sounds a bit better.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
the tanabe medallion also sounds great. there's a soundclip around here somewhere... i'll have a look around.

i'll agree. the hyper is louder than stock, but it's not terrible by any means. it drones ever so slightly around 55-60 mph on the highway.

I have headers and a racepipe on their way soon, which will add some more power, and better sound. again, as long as the weather's not terrible, i'll be able to take some video clips, and i'll throw them up on putfile :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The N1 supposedly gains 10-12 horsepower is that more than the Hiper, and is the hiper loud enough for your liking after headers?

·
Registered
338 Posts
i vote hiper- i love the way it sounds. and here's the thing...dont want to drop the cash on the headers immediately, but want the sound? cut the b pipe resonator out and replace w/ a straight pipe section (30 bucks)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well actually im getting the OBX headers and y-pipe for Christmas. The only concern i had is that i have heard the N1 and Greddy Evo were raspy when headers were put on, thats why i was going to get the hyper. Is this true?

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
p1nk50ck said:
the tanabe medallion also sounds great. there's a soundclip around here somewhere... i'll have a look around.

i'll agree. the hyper is louder than stock, but it's not terrible by any means. it drones ever so slightly around 55-60 mph on the highway.

I have headers and a racepipe on their way soon, which will add some more power, and better sound. again, as long as the weather's not terrible, i'll be able to take some video clips, and i'll throw them up on putfile :)
aha..new job= love for da Rexus!!! sweet deal Jay!

btw.. did the Hiper give you any mielage gains? anyone know what axelback exhaust is best for mileage gains, and a few extra ponies?(8-10 hp, 2 more mpg)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts