Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  1. When on "audio", It bugs the hell out of me that on the readout both the folder and the song name are truncated after like 12 characters. Is there anyway to correct this and show more of the song / folder name? seems like there's nothing but blank space to the right...
  2. Is it possible for the nav screen to do a screen saver instead of displaying road maps? Sure the maps are nice when you need them. I'm just surprised they didn't include some cool screen savers.
  3. Is there anyway to get rid of the "I accept" screen when you turn the car on?
  4. The dealer told me it was like $300+ to update my maps, is this something we can do ourselves for much cheaper? The service guy also told me that doing an update would remove that "I accept" screen which is almost reason enough IMO
  5. Apparently the Nav package I got doesn't play DVDs. I'm a bit upset that I didn't know they apparently have two different nav packages, one that's just CDs and the other that plays DVDs. Is there anyway to upgrade the CD player to play DVDs without spending a lot of $$?
Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
ill start with a few that might help you out.
if you look through owners manual it might give you some info on the scrolling of the song tracks/titles maybe.
theres no screen savers. but you can set your set up to keep viewing the audio menu instead of it returning to the "maps".
there is a way/"hack" to get rid of the i agree screen. i cant remember the correct info off the top of my head but do a search here and im sure you'll find out what it is.
yes the nav discs are a lot of money but you can save some money by installing it your self. theres a tool kit to do so in the trunk. btw the disc reader is hidden haha.
i don't know what car you have so i cant give you any info on the dvd player questions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info so far! I'll try and hunt down the hack for the "I agree" screen. As for the nav not displaying the entire track title, this really just bugs me cause I simply don't understand why they would do this. Just seems so stupid...

Anyway thanks. If anyone else has any other input please reply!!! Also I updated my sig to include my cars specs

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
There's no way to scroll the text- it's a "safety feature"

The newest (came in 08s) Nav disc exchanges the I agree screen for a 5 second pause that goes away automatically- you can get this by updating your map disc-- which brings us to-

Yup, the maps each year cost as much as an entire standalone GPS system. You can do the install yourself for free in like 5 minutes though... and you can get the disc itself cheaper than your dealer wants from a few places (still 2-4 times what Garmin gets for new maps though).

There's only one Nav option, however you can get it with or without the Mark Levinson audio system. Without ML it's just a CD changer in the dash... with ML (when you also have Nav) you get a DVD changer. There's no especially cheap way to change this (it would've been about $1500 more if you'd gotten it when you got the car). There are aftermarket ways to play DVDs on your nav screen but they're likely 500 and up including install and it'd be mounting another DVD player someplace else in the vehicle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the feedback. So as Skot was mentioning, is there a hack to get around the "I agree" screen without updating the maps? Basically is there a cheap way to do this?

Also as far as updating the maps themselves, does it just install the maps from a DVD to a hard drive or do the maps actually run off the DVD itself? What I'm getting at is could a group of people buy 1 DVD update and then share it with others or is it a 1 time use kind of thing?

Along the same lines are there ever any group buys on the maps disk? Regardless how much are they if we buy them independently and where can we get them? I probably won't do this for at least a year, unless the price becomes more reasonable or disk sharing is possible

Thanks again

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, can you clue me into the "I agree" hack to remove that screen or is upgrading the nav maps the only way to accomplish that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
check this out its more like a teaser, i have to ask a friend of mine that did it with just software no parts needed. you need to rewrite the nav disk structure and recompile/author the dvd.
but here a link i found....
hack your Toyota Prius GPS Navigation System -- NaviGadget

nav dvds can only be updated not downgraded.
once you put 7.2 disc in you cant take it out and put a 4.0 in it. so dont borrow nav disks unless there the same version.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wontwo, I read through most of the page. Please let me know if there's a way to accomplish this with just software and not hardware, it is quite annoying that you cannot input destinations while moving but the "I agree" screen annoys me more.

I'm pretty handy with computers and making disks, ect... So please let me know if I can remove my existing disk and make a copy / hack it somehow to enable these features. Or if anyone else has any more info on this please chime in

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts