Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever wonder what corner balancing is and how it benefits the handling of your vehicle? Then check out this file...mind you it uses an NSX as an example, but still very informative. 8)

This is a PDF file so you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's for coilover-equipped and threaded spring perch-equipped cars, which is not what you have based on your sig.

And it's the last thing you do after establishing completing your parts setup (spring rates, sway rates, tires), the right ride height, and the correct alignment. And if you have sways, you need to neutralize them with shims too if you'e going to corner balance.

The only thing it will do for a car is establish near-equal traits for left-right cornering. It will not make the car any more neutral overall, since that seems to be general aim (right or not) of folks around here.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Off-TRAC said:
It's for coilover-equipped and threaded spring perch-equipped cars, which is not what you have based on your sig.
Whoever said that I have coilovers installed? Just got some Tein HA's with the EDFC, but they're not installed YET.

·
Registered
416 Posts
four20 said:
Whoever said that I have coilovers installed? Just got some Tein HA's with the EDFC, but they're not installed YET.
Anyways, it's the last thing you do. Although they will help with left-right consistency of any coilover setup, no matter their state of tune, most people don't bother spending the money until they're fairly sure what they're running is cemented.

That's a lot of things, starting from hardware defining the car's relationship with the road (springs, sways). After that there is adjustment of the car (ride height, alignment), which defines the contact patches.

After that is established beyond any doubt (meaning driving test, pyrometer measurements, and meaningful competitive proving), then it's a good time to finally optimize with corner balancing.

That is, unless you have $2K to spare to buy some scales for yourself. :p

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Off-TRAC said:
four20 said:
Anyways, it's the last thing you do. Although they will help with left-right consistency of any coilover setup, no matter their state of tune, most people don't bother spending the money until they're fairly sure what they're running is cemented.

That's a lot of things, starting from hardware defining the car's relationship with the road (springs, sways). After that there is adjustment of the car (ride height, alignment), which defines the contact patches.

After that is established beyond any doubt (meaning driving test, pyrometer measurements, and meaningful competitive proving), then it's a good time to finally optimize with corner balancing.

That is, unless you have $2K to spare to buy some scales for yourself. :p
Cool...thanks for the info. I guess I won't be getting my car corner balanced then seeing that it is pretty uneccessary since I will only be drving on the streets and highways and not on the track.

·
Registered
416 Posts
four20 said:
Cool...thanks for the info. I guess I won't be getting my car corner balanced then seeing that it is pretty uneccessary since I will only be drving on the streets and highways and not on the track.
It'll help for the street too; having a car that understeers in one direction but oversteers in the other is bad too... but the thing is that few people understand how involved getting coilovers to truly work correctly really is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
Off-TRAC
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing