Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the car still sit level if it ever did B4 hehehe ;)

or does corner balancing the car mean the car might be leaning to one corner or side some what when balanced correctly....?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,844 Posts
One corner will end up a little lower. You gotta remeber the car was originally designed as a RHD so when you balance(with you or a weight in the driver seat) it will be a little different. You want to balance it in the same condition as you use it so prep the car before you do it. ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Karim

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,219 Posts
I corner balanced my own car with someone sitting in the driver seat that weigh roughly 160-170 pounds.

I set the Driver side front 1/8th of an inch higher than the passenger side without a driver, and once the driver is in, the car is leveled. My car is dead even all around with a driver. With a passenger, the other sides barely drops down any lower (thanks to the decent spring rates of the HA's).
 

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Malekreza11 said:
I corner balanced my own car with someone sitting in the driver seat that weigh roughly 160-170 pounds.

I set the Driver side front 1/8th of an inch higher than the passenger side without a driver, and once the driver is in, the car is leveled. My car is dead even all around with a driver. With a passenger, the other sides barely drops down any lower (thanks to the decent spring rates of the HA's).


with this setup you are still equally corner balanced...?

did you invest in a set of 4 independent wheel scales..?

how did you balance it if not...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,219 Posts
edgy said:
with this setup you are still equally corner balanced...?

did you invest in a set of 4 independent wheel scales..?

how did you balance it if not...

ive talked to many pro's who actually do this with thier scales and such. Corner balancing is basically making the car even. For example, if your driver side front is lower than the passenger side, there is more weight on the driver side. In order to compensate you slighly raise the driver front and then slightly drop the passenger rear. (independent suspension)

it took me a few hours to balance my car the best i can, and i would put my top dollar on it.

Handling improvement, yea it made a difference.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,704 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
ive talked to many pro's who actually do this with thier scales and such. Corner balancing is basically making the car even. For example, if your driver side front is lower than the passenger side, there is more weight on the driver side. In order to compensate you slighly raise the driver front and then slightly drop the passenger rear. (independent suspension)

it took me a few hours to balance my car the best i can, and i would put my top dollar on it.

Handling improvement, yea it made a difference.
I dont think thats what corner balancing aims at at all. Equal weight distribution between left and right sides of the car. Just equaling the height can even increase the unbalance since the IS was a Right Handside drive and in the conversion to LHD, one side ends up a bit lower than the other anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
The car will most likely not end up sitting even after corner balancing. It all depends on the weight of the car, and the weight of the driver (since good tuners will add the weight of the driver into the equation)

Also, not only do they look at left vs right weight, but they also look at diagonal weights as well. Meaning they'll add the weights of opposite corners and compare it to the weight of the other opposite corners. For you math people, they try to make: Front Right + Rear Left = Front Left + Rear Right
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
I got mine done by West End Alignment w/ 4 wheel alignment.
Like IS JOE states that -Front Right + Rear Left = Front Left + Rear Right is the correct form of scaling.
Darin is the shiz, he also a cool kat to talk too and he'll ask you to be in the car and how much height adjustment you would like and then he'll put in his 2 cents.
My w/ system running on 19's w/ Tein SS EDFC, Hotckish sways, TRD frt brace, Cusco rr brace, Boxed arms, JIC strut bar, custom trunk braces, & boxed trail arms was weight out hefty 3602 and he balance out 1801 cross section as mentioned above.
Damn what a different how does the car handle!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,162 Posts
wat_it_IS said:
I got mine done by West End Alignment w/ 4 wheel alignment.
Like IS JOE states that -Front Right + Rear Left = Front Left + Rear Right is the correct form of scaling.
Darin is the shiz, he also a cool kat to talk too and he'll ask you to be in the car and how much height adjustment you would like and then he'll put in his 2 cents.
My w/ system running on 19's w/ Tein SS EDFC, Hotckish sways, TRD frt brace, Cusco rr brace, Boxed arms, JIC strut bar, custom trunk braces, & boxed trail arms was weight out hefty 3602 and he balance out 1801 cross section as mentioned above.
Damn what a different how does the car handle!!!!
Glad to hear and interesting about the car weight. Was that with the driver?

Yeah, malek, i asked someone about that and they said that is not cornerbalancing at all. You need scales to get it done right. I'm sure though, if i were diy i'd set it exactly the way u did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,219 Posts
I did my "corner balancing" the way Dave's frame and alignment does it on beach blvd. He is pretty reputable. I am sure some can chime in on his experience and knowledge.

I diagonally balance my car, not side to side.
 

·
Nygmatic
Joined
·
2,683 Posts
i got mine done at West End last week and there is truly a noticeable difference. when hard in the corner you can actually feel the cars center of balance shifted from front bias to the middle. especially in sweepers i can feel that the car is much more level.

the only thing now is that i'm understeering a little more than i'm used to. this is either a function of me going into corners with a little more confidence, or that since the car is a little less front biased there is less weight over the front tires. either way i love the way the car feels and will adjust my driving in due time.

this is a highly reccomended "mod" for suspension. almost required in my book if you have coilovers.

my total weight was 3550 i think. corner balanced with me in the drivers seat. and west end balances like said above front right + rear left = front left + rear right. my car sits even as far as i know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,830 Posts
i am excited..my appointment is tomorrow with darin.

after 4 reschedule appointments (things came up) i finally get to have my car corner balance and get an alignment(i need one so bad).
 

·
Virgin Magnet
Joined
·
8,768 Posts
corner balancing is one of those things to me that i think gets mixed signals - i too have fallen victim - when people say even out the weight distribution i personally picture adding physical weights to the car - which i don't think thats thecase - isn't it more adjsuting the spring rates (on an adjustable coilover setup) such that it reacts the best to the weight there is?

and if you have the height adjsutment individual of the spring rates you wouldn't have to worry about height right?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,844 Posts
Uh, that could get really scary plus you would also need different shocks at each corner to handle the diff spring rates(another thread for that one).


When the car is on the scales(or anything for that matter) the more it "pushes down" on the scale the more weight the scale "sees".

So to add weight to a corner you would raise it. To remove weight you would lower it. You are trying to get the sum of opposite corners as equal as possible. Adding weight anywhere in the vehicle(driver, dead bodies, small woodland creatures, etc.) will change these totals. That is why alot of vehicles end up with one corner slightly higher/lower than the others.
 
  • Like
Reactions: somguy2u

·
Virgin Magnet
Joined
·
8,768 Posts
Yogi_TRD said:
Uh, that could get really scary plus you would also need different shocks at each corner to handle the diff spring rates(another thread for that one).


When the car is on the scales(or anything for that matter) the more it "pushes down" on the scale the more weight the scale "sees".

So to add weight to a corner you would raise it. To remove weight you would lower it. You are trying to get the sum of opposite corners as equal as possible. Adding weight anywhere in the vehicle(driver, dead bodies, small woodland creatures, etc.) will change these totals. That is why alot of vehicles end up with one corner slightly higher/lower than the others.
interesting, thanks +rep

much better explained than anythign else i have read
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
Can corner balancing be done on just a spring and shock combo?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,844 Posts
^^Only if you have adjustable perches.
 

·
Mr. Negative
Joined
·
12,388 Posts
you have to remember a couple things about corner balancing. If more people raced onroad RC cars this subject would be easily explained.

at any rate you want the effective spring rates to be the same on both the right and left in the front and then the same principle in the rear. When you adjust spring tension on one side this changes the spring rate unfortunately. With a production type car and the type of suspension we have there is no way around it. moving weight is the best thing to do, but again w/ a production car that isn't set up(stripped) this isn't really feasable. not to mention that doubtably no one on this board would even be able to tell the difference. ideally you need shocks w/ height adjustments that doesn't mess w/ the spring tension. there are some models out that have this, but i'm guessing most people on here don't have them.

so after that rambling. adjust spring tension is the way to do it. I did it on a scale at a race track and it's easy to do. equalling out the height will get you close as a prep before you go to the scale, but I don't feel you can do this without a scale to any degree. at some point you need numbers to get it close. moving the battery would help as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
Yogi_TRD said:
So to add weight to a corner you would raise it. To remove weight you would lower it. You are trying to get the sum of opposite corners as equal as possible. Adding weight anywhere in the vehicle(driver, dead bodies, small woodland creatures, etc.) will change these totals. That is why alot of vehicles end up with one corner slightly higher/lower than the others.
I think you have that backwards. Raising the corner will reduce the effective weight of that corner. Lowering it increases the effective weight.

You're right about adding weight throwing off the balance. Thats why to do it right, a good tuner will put a weight in the driver seat thats equal to the driver's weight when he balances the car. And if the car is usually driven with 2 people, some tuners will add weight to the passenger seat as well. The idea is to simulate the way the car is loaded in regular driving situations as close as possible, so you won't have and surprise shifts in balance when get into the car and drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
How much did the corner balancing cost at West End? I know the alignment is around $60 bucks, how much more is the corner balancing?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top