Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don and I went to "the usual spot" (laguna) along w/ Hyper Drive and a member with the "kind of new" V6 Mustang called him out. I was like damn, lexus vs. muscle car. Thanh accepted. They raced a total of two times I recall. The first race was a pretty close one (well...not that close until you hear about the second run). Don had him by a few cars (to us, a couple of cars is called a "SPANK"). Sencond run was what you call a "Killer". Thanh had him by like SIX or SEVEN cars. They both had a good start off on the second run (don started a little late the first, but still got the win). Oh, and Thanh raced a 1999 Prelude Type SH with a crappy driver (sorry Nick, but it's the truth; hell, you got spanked by a little older prelude with the vtec and yours was chipped with Double Vtec totaling out to 273hp) and Corleone had a pretty good start off, but the SH quit through half of the 1/4 mile. Kind of makes you think twice before anyone else talks Sh*t about a IS. And yes, the Mustang was a manual with a pretty good driver who is well known as John the guy whos Neon got repo'd (and that neon was absolutly no Joke!, that Neon would of spanked a Stock IS300 from Start to finish on the .25 mile "I said quarter, not long run"). That was one Souped up neon. Oh well, and when I tried out the gears on Don IS, I swear I was getting low 15s. on the quarter mile.

Eddies Tip on the IS300: Put your gear on the "L". Hold brake with left foot and give gas till you hit a little over 2000 on the rounds per minute. Punch it till you hit 6000 R.P.M., Quickly switch to next gear. Keep up the pace till you come up to 6000 again and switch to the next gear. And same as for the 3rd, but hit about 7000 rpms and then the "M" gear which obviously leaves you on "5" on the no good e-sh"i"t and it's pretty much over if done correctly against you opponent on the 1/4 mile or the long run!

Hell it works for me!

------------------

Can't wait till NEW M3 Comes out!!!

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
i'm not one to give the is300 props for speed, but i'm sure it can beat better than a cheeseball v6 'stang

·
Registered
650 Posts
Actually the NEW v6 stangs are decently quick . Anyways what the hell is double Vtec? Does he have cams or something? How is your friends SH getting 237hp? Is that to the wheels? I don;t think I/H/E would yeild that much HP on a vtec motor. Just interested to know what mods he has...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Originally posted by MAmornIS:
Actually the NEW v6 stangs are decently quick . Anyways what the hell is double Vtec? Does he have cams or something? How is your friends SH getting 237hp? Is that to the wheels? I don;t think I/H/E would yeild that much HP on a vtec motor. Just interested to know what mods he has...
Maybe he means DOHC , I have no clue what double vtec is, hate to say it but it sounds like a rice term. Almost like those guys who insist on putting a VTEC sticker on their car but spell it VTECH. Or better yet those "powered by _____" fill in the blank.

An SH with 237hp to the wheels NEEDS to have some kind of FI on it. Dyno'd the stock prelude is at 154.7hp according to the Temple of Vtec site and cams with i/h/e won't net that much power.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i agree. i didn't want to call it out because there might actually be something liek that, but i honestly have never heard of it, and i've been on h-a.net all the time. and yeah, FI sounds like the only wayt o go, or unless he's squeezing

Originally posted by GPR:
Maybe he means DOHC , I have no clue what double vtec is, hate to say it but it sounds like a rice term. Almost like those guys who insist on putting a VTEC sticker on their car but spell it VTECH. Or better yet those "powered by _____" fill in the blank.

An SH with 237hp to the wheels NEEDS to have some kind of FI on it. Dyno'd the stock prelude is at 154.7hp according to the Temple of Vtec site and cams with i/h/e won't net that much power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Prelude SH has double vtec. He bought the Prelude SH stock with 200hp and of course it has vtec. Then he took it to a shop (i forgot the name) and bought and got a chip installed in his prelude (there goes his warrenty). It gives him or any SH prelude double vtec. In the begining you can hear his vtec kick in like crazy and when he hits 3rd gear you hear it again kick in. Kind of like a little boost "40 to 50hp to the front". Honda claims 170hp in the long run on the whole car.

Your IS isn't going to mess up if you do what I did. Just hold the brake give little gas (make sure car doesn't move till you let go of brakes and punch it and change gears responsibly). Plus if this ever actually messes up your car, im sure lexus gives you some kind of warrenty
lol, your car's covered dude.

------------------

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
um, VTEC uses a different cam profile which is tuned for "racing" and at low rpm there isn't enough fuel compression to run vtec without serious problems. waht is double vtec?

btw vtec doesn't kick in at a "gear"...it kicks at higher rpm. the secondaries come on aroudn 5500 and vtec usually engages at about 6000 rpm. i'm smelling major rice here unless you can provide some accurate facts.

[This message has been edited by mrclam (edited November 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Prelude SH has double vtec. He bought the Prelude SH stock with 200hp and of course it has vtec. Then he took it to a shop (i forgot the name) and bought and got a chip installed in his prelude (there goes his warrenty). It gives him or any SH prelude double vtec. In the begining you can hear his vtec kick in like crazy and when he hits 3rd gear you hear it again kick in. Kind of like a little boost "40 to 50hp to the front". Honda claims 170hp in the long run on the whole car.

Your IS isn't going to mess up if you do what I did. Just hold the brake give little gas (make sure car doesn't move till you let go of brakes and punch it and change gears responsibly). Plus if this ever actually messes up your car, im sure lexus gives you some kind of warrenty
lol, your car's covered dude.

------------------

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your right Mr. Clam "what a name". What i ment to say is that it kick in 5-6 rpms. And when he is at 3rd gear and his rpms go once again to 5/6 his vtec kicks in again;thus, giving it the name double vtec, and Don Corleone is my witness. Come on thanh back me up on this. These people aren't racers, but they know there info. AND THERE IS DOUBLE VTEC (IT DOESN'T COME IN THE CAR, BUT THE CHIP THE YOU BUY "SEPARATE" gives you double vtec), no matter how much info. all you people know.

------------------

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i'd like to see some visual proof on something say like a dyno chart. if you climb into vtec in second and dump it and end up at like 4k rpms in 3rd and accelerate again, of course you're oging to hit vtec again, but that's no dual vtec. thats' just shifting too damn early to make good use of vtec.

Originally posted by Eddie:
your right Mr. Clam "what a name". What i ment to say is that it kick in 5-6 rpms. And when he is at 3rd gear and his rpms go once again to 5/6 his vtec kicks in again;thus, giving it the name double vtec, and Don Corleone is my witness. Come on thanh back me up on this. These people aren't racers, but they know there info. AND THERE IS DOUBLE VTEC (IT DOESN'T COME IN THE CAR, BUT THE CHIP THE YOU BUY "SEPARATE" gives you double vtec), no matter how much info. all you people know.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Why don't you guys bring your is300s to the track? See what racing is all about and see how the Lexus handles on a proper road course. There's a NASA event at Thunderhill near Sacramento coming up on Dec. 3. Our own S38 is a NASA official and will be there, and I'll be there with my 330i running in Group 2. If you show up, I'll give you a ride around the track in my 330i...if you'll give me a ride in your is300 (better yet...if you let me take the wheel for a lap or two). There's also an SCCA event over Thanksgiving weekend at Thunderhill. I'm not currently planning to attend that one, but I may change my mind if any of you bring your is300s to that event.

And, MrClam, why don't you consider joining the fun with your M3? I know you're not comfortable with the manual transmission yet, but they often advise beginners to keep their cars in one gear for the entire duration anyway.

[This message has been edited by Young (edited November 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i'd love to young but sacramento is quite a trip and i do have to go to church

my only trouble with the manual tranny right now is launching well, it'll come with my practice i guess =)

[This message has been edited by mrclam (edited November 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
541 Posts
God will forgive you, Mr. Clam. ^_^

As for the long drive up to Sacramento...I-5 is a great road to check out your speed limiter...and your Valentine One. ^_^

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Maybe he's talking about a VTEC controller...or something. I still don't understand this double VTEC thing since thats how vtec is supposed to work in the first place.

Originally posted by mrclam:
i'd like to see some visual proof on something say like a dyno chart. if you climb into vtec in second and dump it and end up at like 4k rpms in 3rd and accelerate again, of course you're oging to hit vtec again, but that's no dual vtec. thats' just shifting too damn early to make good use of vtec.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey Eddie,
There's no double vtec that I'm aware of. The phenomenon you describe is a normal experience for a DOHC vtec engine (GS-R, Type R, S2000, NSX, H22a1 Prelude, Civic Si, B16a Del Sol). In every gear, VTEC will engage at the crossover point (followed by some power and a dayam sweet noise)... approximately 5500rpm in a Prelude. So it's not a quintiple (5?) VTEC system. If I'm guessing correctly, the chip just altered his air/fuel ratio and raised the redline a little. He could've also had a Spoon or some other VTEC controller to fine tune some a/f variables and the VTEC crossover point. But the 273hp is pretty unbelievable. I know personally that a H22a1 Prelude with DPR Stage 6 headwork, i/h/e, Spoon VTEC controller, semi-race clutch, heavy ass 18" chrome rims (ewww...) puts down 189.xx hp to the wheels. Or about 223 hp to the flywheel (ie published numbers).

Originally posted by Eddie:

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i dont know what the hell a double vtec is but then again i dont know much about hondas (s2000 excluded) so im not going to say anything on that matter. the guy who owns the car claimed to make 270 horsepower, i thought i heard wrong but he said it a few times, i didnt talk to him so i dont know what he has on it, all i kno is he needs to learn how to drive his car before he tries to run it (he ran it 5-6 times and messed up at least 4 times) all i kno is i got him off the line and he quit before he got to second(looked like everytime someone got him off the line he "messed up and skipped a gear".)
i wouldnt trust eddie, he's a shady character
. talk about not hurting my car, dumbass, step on the brake while giving it gas, you've got to reduce tire life at best, and you could cause the gears to grind and fvck up the tranny at worst. those aint no cheap tires either.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts