Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody with TOM's Thermostat and TRD Radiator Cap??

Any reflections?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Colder T-stats are great for modded cars, 20 deg. is just like having 2 more octane points. But, the only TRD t-stat I've had has been on a car with a standalone. Just make sure the IS computer doesn't leave the engine in warm-up mode if it senses 160 deg coolant. If it does, it will run richer than needed. If nothing else, the high-pressure cap will be a nice addition.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
physics wise, a colder thermostat is a very bad idea

i'll leave this open, to see if someone else can tell you why, if not, i'll answer this in a few days

anyone ....

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
IS300GTE said:
physics wise, a colder thermostat is a very bad idea

i'll leave this open, to see if someone else can tell you why, if not, i'll answer this in a few days

anyone ....
because colder thermostats are bigger, thus requiring more lube to use as butt plug when your BF comes over? More lube = more money spent = less money available to spend on the car.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Ok, my guess...

colder coolant means colder engine. colder engines are more prone to bust. It's like stickin into a girl that's not warmed up. Things just don't expand well when they're not horny...warm.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
i'm queer? because i challenge people to learn

you are the fucking jackass ****** of this site, EVERYONE on this board thinks you are an idiot

remember your first post here about lexus tuning your ecu for more power? i could bump it if you like you stupid shit

i actually think your response is a knee jerk allergic reaction to someone trying to get you to learn, same thing that would happen to an addict if you tried to put them in rehab.

bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
^^^^^^GOD your queer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
ah, i was ready to laugh, i really was ... but no

SophieSleeps said:
Ok, my guess...

colder coolant means colder engine. colder engines are more prone to bust. It's like stickin into a girl that's not warmed up. Things just don't expand well when they're not horny...warm.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
less coolant volume?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm stumped!

If SophieSleeps is correct, you need to be running hard for it to be safe?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Some people think the colder coolant temperature will cause pre-mature wear, which it probably does to a small degree. But, especially in forced induction cars the benefit of cooler cylinder head temps outweigh the marginal increase in wear. TRD includes a 160 deg thermostat with every Supercharger kit, which installed by a dealer will uphold factory warranty. So it can't be that bad.

I wouldn't put one on a close to stock IS, but I would put one on a boosted IS every time.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
altezza pete

although your points about clearances, in relation to overall normal operating temperature have theoretical value, it is not the answer to my question, in fact, you are 180 degrees in the wrong direction i think

think outside of the box

-gte

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,619 Posts
think about thermal expansion for one thing...

the engine actually has an optimal operating temperature...that's the way the tolerances are designed...they're designed to operate at a certain temp range...also, if it runs TOO cool, it's not as efficient. take the combustion process for instance...the chamber needs to be hot enough to vaporize the fuel...also, the engine's oil needs to be hot enough to be fluid...

this is just some of the things we need to think about when we run too cold...

G

·
I thought it read somthing that if you get a Thermostat it will open more and allow coolant to come in quicker because the temp is lower. But in the long run while driving long distances your coolant will be hotter and your just recycling hot coolant because your not giving it enough time to cool.

But then again i am not sure...

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,619 Posts
choi0706 said:
I thought it read somthing that if you get a Thermostat it will open more and allow coolant to come in quicker because the temp is lower. But in the long run while driving long distances your coolant will be hotter and your just recycling hot coolant because your not giving it enough time to cool.

you mean a colder range thermostat right???

and the thing about not giving it enough time to cool is right as well...if the thermostat were always open, it doesn't have enough time to disapate (spelling???) heat through the radiator...

G

·
HyperMKIV said:
choi0706 said:

you mean a colder range thermostat right???

and the thing about not giving it enough time to cool is right as well...if the thermostat were always open, it doesn't have enough time to disapate (spelling???) heat through the radiator...
yea isnt what he was talking about?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Particularly on a forced-induced car, I would imagine that you would want to keep the operating temperature of the motor in the proper temperature range-

The rings rely on thermal expansion to properly seal, so boosting the car with the engine below the proper operating temperature for proper sealing would result in blowby, pressurization of the crankcase, and possibly a higher risk of damage to your ringlands. Blowby also causes fouling of your oil and shorter life expectancy for your engine, as acidic compounds in the exhaust gasses mix with the oil in the crankcase.

I imagine that this would have something to do with it, in theory, but I find it hard to believe that a 160 degree thermostat would be able to cool the engine that much... the combustion chamber will probably remain in the same temperature range during most driving conditions anyway- maybe at idle it would be cooler?

-Chris

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
the difference in thermal expansion is going to be a constant (alpha- pending on material) times the length of the dimension times the change in temperature. the alpha value for a mild steel is around 6 x10^-6 the units being 1 over degrees F. alluminum, copper, titanium, and other metals are not much farther off than this) so the factor to multiply the dimension would to get the total elongation or contraction would be 0.00012[unitless]. given the small dimensio s of parts that you are talkaing about (generally less than an inch) the difference is going to be near minescule. or enough to nearly neglect.

i am curious as to what he has to say as well i cannot think of anythgin that would be significantly detrimental to the engine.

gas vaporizing has more to do with the pressure than temperature , not to mention it is injected via a spray head style injector (more surface are allows it to vaporize quicker or combust easier)

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
all of your points about expansion are valid theoretical points, but in reality the difference would not be great, especially on a motor with cast pistons

heat is energy, heat is velocity and heat is spool up. the hotter you can safely run a motor, the less power it is going to lose through the cooling system. 33-37% of the potential energy in gasoline is lost through the cooling system, 33-37% is dumped out of the exhaust valves and 25-33% is put to use. imagine if you could make an engine that only lost 15% through the cooling system, or even better almost no loss. one person has been able to do that and no other auto manufacturer has been able to duplicate it. he had a 2 cylinder engine that made 150hp and got 60mpg city :eek: , in a volkswagen golf.

this is the kind of thing that i want to invent or be remembered for (will probably never happen) but this is my life goal so to speak. he was a genius that thought outside of the box

here is a pic of what his rough design (leaving out most of the details of course) was

he was able to reuse the heat from the engine, to heat the air, which then went into the engine, so basically the air entering the engine was almost the temperature of the cooling system, which was about 446 degrees. he was able to do this on unleaded gasoline (no octane specifications) and the motor lived.

the key here was fluids and materials that held up, i'd imagine that exotic fluids were used, as well as exotic materials, possibly ceramic.

anyways, he thought outside of the box

-gte

1 - 20 of 36 Posts