Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just want to know what you guys think about this, especially now that it's hot out:

when you're driving, sometimes the radiator fan turns on for like 20 seconds and turns off, usually when it's hot. after parking, do you wait for the fan to turn off before turning off the ignition, and is it bad if you don't?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just shut off the car and leave. all the fan does after the ignition is turned off is cool the stuff in the radiator so it doesn't boil (which it shouldn't under normal, even hot conditions). if you leave the car idleing it's going to heat up even more. just shut it off and trust the Toyota engineers. er, I mean Lexus engineers.

-

·
Registered
448 Posts
balance said:
I just shut off the car and leave. all the fan does after the ignition is turned off is cool the stuff in the radiator so it doesn't boil (which it shouldn't under normal, even hot conditions). if you leave the car idleing it's going to heat up even more. just shut it off and trust the Toyota engineers. er, I mean Lexus engineers.

-
yeah, trust the toyota engineers...lexus is just a marketing scheme, but you have to give it up to toyota for being so good in separating toyota from lexus. no other company does that.

as for the fan, i know a few people that leave the ignition on to cool down the vehicle. but they usually have the hood open. by leaving the hood open and keeping the fan on it saves the hoses in the engine. the engine compartment is basically an oven and damages the rubber hoses in the engine. opening the hood and letting it cool is good preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
If you just finished driving your car HARD and didnt take a few cool down minutes prior to parking the car, I would recommend letting the car idle for a few minutes.

Without coolant running through the engine, the engine can actually get HOTTER after it was shutoff. It needs to have coolant run through for a minute or more to extract the majority of the extra heat from running hard.

This is why the fans continue to run sometimes. The better solution would be to idle for a minute or two, then shut down.

But the simplest solution is just to take it easy a minute or two before you are going to park.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts