Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2001 IS300. I have searched and still can not find how the resevior hoses connect to the radiator. The previous owner, somehow, hooked the top hose which connect to the resevior cap to the bottom of the resevior body. The hose next to the radiator cap goes to nothing like it was meant to be the overflow. IS this how it's suppose to be hook up? It doesn't seem right to me. I wonder if this is why my heater does not get that hot when set to MAX heat because there's not enough coolant in the system.

Please, help..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some pics. The white line\arrow indicate the hose which connect to nothing like it's meant for pressure relief and the red line hose loops back to itself at the bottom of the resevior.

Are there other hoses that I don't see? IS this the correct configuration?
Seems strange to me.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I figured. I think the white marked hose goes to the bottom of the vehicle so it can be drain without getting on anything. Can someone verify by theory, please..

Thank you all for taking your time to help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The white arrow hose should go to the bottom of the overflow tank. Why bottom because when the car cool down, a sucking force will create and the radiator will actually suck back some coolant flow to the take before when the car is hot. Connect to bottom can make sure no air will suck/get into the cooling system. Air blockage can affect the cooling efficiency of the cooling system. If you just connect the white arrow hose from the cap at the top of the overflow tank, make sure the hose is long enough to dip to the bottom of the tank. This can prevent air blockage. However if the tank is overload, the coolant will splash everywhere of your engine bay. The original setting is the white arrow hose connect to the bottom of the tank and the red arrow hose connect to the cap of the overflow tank and run down to the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The way you swap the hoses is correct. I wonder why the previous owner connect like this as the system will lose coolant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Nutkin. I think the original owner have had the front end damage but did not show in the carfax when I bought it. Who ever worked on the front end last must of hooked it up wrong. What led me to look at the coolant resevoir was that the heater was not that hot when I set it on max heat.

Thanks again for your confirmation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts