Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I've noticed my overflow reservoir is spilling coolant from around the cap. I read on the forums that this is normal but this doesn't make sense even on a new car. I had the water pump, thermostat and heater hoses changed.
Help?!:(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dont fill it up so much. The overflow is for the antifreeze to expand and contract due to engine temp. If its too full it will just push out thats ok, just make sure you dont run out. If you look on the backside of the overflow there is a line where you should fill it up too(says full).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the same issue with my car -- had the dealer check it out. They said its normal on the 1st Gen IS300's. The coolant expands and contracts based on temperature which creates a powdery residue.

It's more annoying than anything trying to clean your engine bay of the coolant residue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: It happen again and I lose some coolant from the radiator as well. I didn't see any cracks on the radiator but it looks like coolant is escaping from under the coolant reservoir cap. I'm going to look into getting a replacement cap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts