Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Previously did a post about a fluid found on my water pump. Figured out it’s coolant. I can’t figure out where it’s leaking from. From the over flow and all the way to the right, my radiator is soaked top to bottom. While the left half of my radiator is bone dry. Is there any specific spots or hoses to check? I’ve looked everywhere not sure if I’m missing something. My radiator had a hair line crack but it’s sealed and not leaking from there at all or around the cap. Also my coolant is full which is also strange. But it’s leaking from somewhere causing steam to roll from under my hood from the radiator. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

ALSO, my coolant was completely gone the other day when I first noticed the steam. But my car didn’t over heat at all which was really strange. Today it’s 100% full.

·
Registered
578 Posts
based on it being by the water pump - i would say the water pump..

maybe the gasket ... or one of the connections to the water pump.. if i recall the water bypass is right around there.. and thermostat is in that area as well..

its been a couple of years when i replaced the water pump - but i remember there being a few o-rings/ and gasket connections

so the level in the coolant tank is full.. and in the expansion tank is full too?

·
Registered
568 Posts
My radiator had a hair line crack but it’s sealed and not leaking from there at all or around the cap.
Sounds to me that you have a good place to start. Any patch you apply is a temporary fix, if it has split the plastic has perished to a point where is has lost its integrity. It has to contain a hot fluid pressurized to 16psi, any small gap will be exploited. The only way to fix properly it is to replace the tank, then i would start looking at the parts around the pump and hoses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts