Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I have a leak around the water pump. I'm going to get underneath there tomorrow, just wondering if those with a similar issue found it to be the pump, the lower hose, etc.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Hey Greg, it's possible the front seal may have went bad. That's obviously why it's designed with that weep hole so the alt and bay doesn't get a bath. Check for dripping while running and at 3k rpms and look for dried up pink coolant at the bottom. I noticed some pink residue on mine years ago but has never came back and still running it.

Edit; unless your leak is from another seal or water bypass outlet, in which case I would wash it all down then watch it while the car's hot and cycling at 3k rpms.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Do you know if it's coming from that weep hole or someplace else? Or maybe you didn't like to hear the bad news, which I wouldn't want to deal with right now either. Lol

But I have seen them weep on other cars but then completely stop for good(like mine), just not sure how bad yours is leaking. An obvious steady drip if it still does it it is enough to warrant a swap because it's nfg.

But I neglected to mention one thing you can try first and that's a new a radiator cap. If the pressure of the system, anything north of 13.5-17.8 psi I believe can stress everything in the coolant system and the WP will weep(as with other places if pressure is too high). Just a thought, unless it is leaking from another spot. I've never heard it leak in the back from the water bypass pipe gasket or the cover gasket. Was just looking at the different spots it potentially come from..http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalog/1601161339-EngineAndFuel-IS300-2005.html
But if it's definitely weeping I would just swap it with another Aisin pump off RA, sucks because I just sold the new one I've had for a few years now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If its coming out of the little hose on the bottom of the alternator bypass valve it means the water pump seals is out. It is a matter of time before you start losing a lot of coolant.

·
Banned
12,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the late reply guys and thanks for the help, it's the pump. It's actually pouring out once the system is pressurized. Just waiting on the part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an alternator belt that just popped. It was making a loud circulating noise for awhile. Does anyone know if there is correlation to a gallon of coolant being released ... on the driveway and in a puddle... and a white smoke ( i presume the coolant) coming from just below the alternator.

When i opened the hood to investigate the smoke .. there was the smell of rubber.. and then the belt broke.

The alternator was making that loud sound.. so maybe I should have replaced the belt before I put Marvel Mystery Oil in the crank case to let it idle for a while.
Its a 2001 Chrysler minivan that I just bought on Craigs list..

just replaced the ERG valve, then put Marvel in the crank case and was letting it idle .. I revved it .. boom all this white smoke... then about a minute later the already loudly screaming .. at least whining .. belt popped..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts