Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Did you guys notice how the IS seemed to get the best pictures? Check out that shot of it facing forward, while the others were lined up or the one of it leading the pack

Too bad they didnt have a black one with Graphite rims. Still a good article I suppose. They didnt saying anything truly derogatory.

------------------
Justy
99 328i (for now)
01 IS300

·
Registered
47 Posts
The article was pretty good but all the American car magazines always have the same complaint about the IS300....lack of a manual transmission. I just can't understand why so much importance is attached to this one issue. Some people prefer a manual shift but many others do not. I have driven both types of transmissions for many years and you just can't beat an automatic transmission for comfort and ease of use during city driving. At least Lexus was clever enough to offer the eShift for those times when you want a bit more control during acceleration. I'm getting sick and tired of having the IS300 compared to a 3 Series. I could have purchased either car but I decided to purchase the IS because it represents a different offering than the 3 (price, performance, service, quality, features). Yes, they both have RWD and are approximately the same size and shape. But there the similarity ends.

JordanK.

·
Registered
94 Posts
True that jordank.
I could've gotten a 3 series but went wit the IS. I'd prefer a manual tranny, but i'm not even going to complain about the auto. I just think critics are bringing this car down because it isn't a BMW. Like earlier before the car came out they were already comparing it to the 328. Now that the 330i came out, those foos are comparing that to the IS. That is just unfair. Plus, my friend owns a 328, and said its a great car ONLY if you put all the options on it. Standard comes wit leatherette, and the definition of that in the dictionary was paper like material. What the HELL is that! IS will alwayz be #1 in my book.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Car and Driver is a great mag, ive been subscribed to it for years. But i cant stand the fact that the LOVE BMW. The only time ive seen a BMW lose in a road test was to the Audi S4. But they still raved about the m3 in that article. So i wouldn't use their opinions to determine between a BMW and a Lexus. The only reason why im looking at a BMW 3 series now is because the brought back the ALL wheel drive. I WISH Lexus would. I currently drive an Audi A4 and I love having quattro. I live in Cleveland and we a decent amount of snow, so a all wheel drive is a plus to have. Does anybody happen to know if they are going to bring VCS to the IS? I think thats what its called, but ist on the GS and it just makes it so the car doesnt 'fishtail' as much. Am i correct?

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
i cant believe the a4 beat the IS300..truthfully. have anyone driven an a4 lately? by the way..s4's are about 40k..while a 330 is around 43k..why the hell are people buying that over an s4? i don't understand.

------------------
Solar Yellow/Black IS300

·
Registered
78 Posts
I really like that mag...but the BMW won even though it was a stipper i mean for g-d sakes the car had a vynyl interior and no cruise control!! and yet it still won. they are totally biased. I really like that Volvos shift "boot" the stainless steel plate thing that looks really neat and its original.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Originally posted by GregNewman:
Car and Driver is a great mag, ive been subscribed to it for years. But i cant stand the fact that the LOVE BMW. The only time ive seen a BMW lose in a road test was to the Audi S4. But they still raved about the m3 in that article. So i wouldn't use their opinions to determine between a BMW and a Lexus. The only reason why im looking at a BMW 3 series now is because the brought back the ALL wheel drive. I WISH Lexus would. I currently drive an Audi A4 and I love having quattro. I live in Cleveland and we a decent amount of snow, so a all wheel drive is a plus to have. Does anybody happen to know if they are going to bring VCS to the IS? I think thats what its called, but ist on the GS and it just makes it so the car doesnt 'fishtail' as much. Am i correct?
Hey Craig, they will be putting the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control or Vecicle skid control.. forgot which one) on the IS300 on the 2002 model, which is coming out 2001 summer or fall, in addition there will be a number of other small improvements including an armrest, auto windows for all 4 windows, and some other features... Also there will be the option of a 5-spd manual tranny.... The VSC helps to keep the car from oversteering or understeering by braking each wheel independently, it's good on snow as the car will drive without skidding, sliding, or spinning... The only problem is the car can still get stuck if it's at a standstill and you're trying to get out of snow because its still only 2WD....Take a look at the new A4 that's coming out next year, it should be at the new Chicago and Los ANgeles auto shows... It looks bad in pictures, but sometimes pictures don't give justice...

-Chris Y.

·
Registered
511 Posts
S4's are good cars, I know for a fact there was a problem with some of them having wiring problems with fuses blowing out due to poor wiring for heated seats and other small stuff. Read that on Audiworld a few months ago. I think thats the only flaw to that Audi.

·
11,061 Posts
Originally posted by JordanK:
The article was pretty good but all the American car magazines always have the same complaint about the IS300....lack of a manual transmission. I just can't understand why so much importance is attached to this one issue. Some people prefer a manual shift but many others do not. I have driven both types of transmissions for many years and you just can't beat an automatic transmission for comfort and ease of use during city driving. At least Lexus was clever enough to offer the eShift for those times when you want a bit more control during acceleration. I'm getting sick and tired of having the IS300 compared to a 3 Series. I could have purchased either car but I decided to purchase the IS because it represents a different offering than the 3 (price, performance, service, quality, features). Yes, they both have RWD and are approximately the same size and shape. But there the similarity ends.

JordanK.
Couldn't have said it better myself...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would agree that with a manual the IS would have moved up at least one spot if not to the top spot. I also agree that many people do not want a manual (my wife included) but when you talk "sport sedans" I think a manual counts for a lot. I'm one of those who have a problem putting that label on a car that doesn't make you row the gears. Not that it makes it an inferior car. Hardly. But I would argue that pure performance doesn't make something "sports." I mean, an AMG, XJR, GS400 etc., are truly wonderful cars - and I would LOVE to have any of them - but I just can't bring myself to label them in the "sports" category. Why? Call me old fashioned but if all you have to do is press down on the gas pedal you miss something special... IMHO.

·
$lores amongst us!
10,974 Posts
How in the freaking world could Motortrend Magazine pick that cheap ass piece of sh#&$^t PT Cruiser at 2001 Car of the YEar over the IS or BMW. IMO they did it because it is so freaking cheap. I'd like to see what they say after a year of dealing with a Chrysler product. You know that thing is going to start shaking itself apart and when they take it in for service they are going to have to dela with bad attitude service reps. I am so dissappointed with these so called unbiased magazines, if it dosent have a manual tranny or is cheap they wont like it. I guess thats why the PT Cruiser won.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Every time there's one of these comparisons, the IS gets dinked for not having a manual transmission. IMHO If Lexus wants to compete with the likes of BMW, then they need to get that manual tranny into their IS next year for sure. I understand that some people don't want to shift gears manually but Hello! it's a sport sedan, aimed squarely at the BMW 3-series! Just wait until next year when the IS has it's manual trans, then the real comparisons can begin
If all you want is a sporty sedan, not a sport sedan, then go get a Cadillac Catera, or some front wheel drive (Even the article said it: "Hang on! You'll feel the torque steer -- a squirmy sort of fishtailing at the front end -- even more jiggly over less-than-perfect surfaces. Just a few years back, we downplayed such rudeness as the cost of packing power in a small car. But it's a front-drive problem. Curious, we think, that the two turbos in this group are attached to the drive systems least able to cope with turbo torque." I know they're talking about an aging SAAB, but a true enthusiast's automobile means having great acceleration, handling, cornering, braking, feel, and rear wheel or all wheel drive at least in my opinion).

------------------
MAD

[This message has been edited by junedog (edited December 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah man Motor Trend thats a joke! A PT cruiser Motor Trend car of the year??? Thats not right. How come Motor Trend let the Cruiser off the hook about the performance just because it was cheap? And why didnt those idiots compensate that the IS300 was $8,000 cheaper that the 3 series (both well loaded)??? See thats what pisses me off! Why do all these mags always bump the IS down because of no manual tranny. The poor car always loses because of the gear box. The shifter nob isnt everything! Ive heard the IS 300's slalom in the wet is faster than the bimmers in the dry??? Is that true??

·
Registered
78 Posts
The reason they keep dinging the IS for the lack of a manual transmission is becasue it's a car the aimed SQUARELY at the 3 series witch is the "pinacle" of sports sedans. The damn car is the same size and same drivetrain setup and even the same shape for god sakes, so if its so much the same why no manual??

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
MT Car of the Year doesn't mean it's their favorite car, or best car, or best performing car. It's the car that is most innovative, ground-breaking, practical, affordable, and most importantly, will influence the auto industry. The IS300 is not innovative, ground breaking, affordable, or influential the way the PT Cruiser is, that's why it didn't win.
Lexus made that wet IS300 vs dry BMW claim, but it's only true of the base 3 series, not the sport package 3 series, so it's not a fair comparison. It does handle amazingly in the rain though - I did the Lexus autocross event in pouring rain.

Originally posted by Nitro Boy:
Yeah man Motor Trend thats a joke! A PT cruiser Motor Trend car of the year??? Thats not right. How come Motor Trend let the Cruiser off the hook about the performance just because it was cheap? And why didnt those idiots compensate that the IS300 was $8,000 cheaper that the 3 series (both well loaded)??? See thats what pisses me off! Why do all these mags always bump the IS down because of no manual tranny. The poor car always loses because of the gear box. The shifter nob isnt everything! Ive heard the IS 300's slalom in the wet is faster than the bimmers in the dry??? Is that true??

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Originally posted by MunkyMan:
The reason they keep dinging the IS for the lack of a manual transmission is becasue it's a car the aimed SQUARELY at the 3 series witch is the "pinacle" of sports sedans. The damn car is the same size and same drivetrain setup and even the same shape for god sakes, so if its so much the same why no manual??

which is why I posted earlier. Next year when the IS300 gets the manual tranny, the real comparisons can begin. Manual vs. manual. If BMW is having a hard time now trying to knock the IS off with an automatic, what will happen when the manual comes in? BMW is scared...

------------------
MAD

·
Registered
333 Posts
Many of us, if not all of us could afford the BMW. I bought the IS because of its reputation of reliabilty and its looks. My brother, father and many MANY of my friends have, or have had BMW's. They have a tendency to break down and are VERY expensive to maintain. My father and brother have vowed never to own another. One of my good friends (a doctor) just bought the new 328 without seeing the IS. Once he saw mine, he was jealous. I let him take it for a spin and agreed it is a much more fun car to drive than the BMW. IMHO, I feel that Lexus has a much better product than BMW. This has happened to BMW before thinking the LS400 would be no threat. It outsells BMW every year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts