Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my new Conti's installed at Lexus of Englewood. They charged me $84 for labor and additional $32 for adding weights to the tires for balancing purposes. This brings the total cost of Conti's to $514 (or $128.50 per tire, which I suppose is reasonable). In the future, I may try to get the tires from Costco...

Anyway, because of the heavy rainfall this morning, I was only able to test wet traction for less than one hour. Against the stock RE40s, I think wet performance is comparable. No significant difference there. I also think I noticed the ride to be slightly smoother, but the jury is still out on that. I need to distinguish whether the feeling of smoothness is a function of me wishing to believe they're smoother.

I am glad to report that I noticed none of the reported vibration at high speeds. But I have to say that I didn't exceed 65mph today, so the jury is out on that, too. I hope that the technicians at Lexus did a good enough of a job balancing the tires that those vibration problems would hopefully never occur.

That's all folks. I just wanted to share my first Conti experience with y'all.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
they're $90 a peice on tirerack.com shipping for 2 tires would be around 20-25

i used to have these tires...good choice...liked them alot...might go with them again after the yokohoma avs e100's...but i like the e100 also

too late now on the price...but you should end up enjoying the tires.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
skinnypoo said:
may god have pitty on your soul.

:shame:
why?

the re04's are crap, i hated those things.

my sisters benze c230kompressor, the sport one, has those tires, they are pretyt good, good deal for the money.

for future reference, I don't ever go to lexus for tires or anythign having to do with tires, they do half ass jobs. Go to sears or NTB or some junk, they have better prices and better equipment as thats allt hey do is tires. i have gotten much better service and results from places like that.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The RE040s are so bad that they would own the the all season Contacts on a dry track. The RE040s are so bad that Mazda put them on the RX8 and Nissan put them on the 350Z.
:crazy:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you have a chance to ride the ContiExtreme on snow yet? If so, how does it run?

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
jmess said:
The RE040s are so bad that they would own the the all season Contacts on a dry track. The RE040s are so bad that Mazda put them on the RX8 and Nissan put them on the 350Z.
:crazy:
goto tire rack or wahtever and see the ratings, they agree they are pretty bad, a lot of times those tires are put on cars like that because they are the cheapest for the manufacture to get, be it bridgestone makes them a good deal or such.

and oooooooooo 350z, rx8 oooooooo, so? porsche uses michelin, ferrari uses pirelli, those are cars i care about when they make a tire selection, not a 27k nissan 2 seater

again check the ratings, i think you'll be surprised who good an all season can be, considerig it has mostly to do with tread pattern (all season) in difference with e sports which has more to do more with the compound

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
i've driven on them in heavy rain....good tires...compared to the re040's and avs....i think the main thing i like about the conti's was driving them in the rain....i haven't driven the avs's much in the rain yet......

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
what size did you get out of curiousity, i got some michelin pilot sport A/S and i had to get 225/45 which is fine by me, more rubber on the road, handles amazingly, especially in the rain, haven't tried snow though.

those contis were good in the rain as well, idrove on them for about a week, a few days in bad weather, good tire, i was surprised how quiet they were

·
Registered
39 Posts
lambchop11078 said:
djskyy said:
Did you have a chance to ride the ContiExtreme on snow yet? If so, how does it run?
I've tried them, they're not too bad on light snow, i.e: a few inches.
Thanks...I guess I'll have to pick up a pair of 2 continental's...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Comparing

Just wanted to clear this up. you can't compare tires that are in different categories. For summer performance the RE040 would perform better for all season performance the Conti or the Michelin.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ali1983khan said:
they're $90 a peice on tirerack.com shipping for 2 tires would be around 20-25

i used to have these tires...good choice...liked them alot...might go with them again after the yokohoma avs e100's...but i like the e100 also

too late now on the price...but you should end up enjoying the tires.
Yeah, well, I did order from the Tirerack. But, duh, if you just order the tires, you still gotta pay for shipping and installation, right? Hence the final actual price.

As for the driving characteristics, I like the Contis after a month of driving. Just like Brandon said, it would be a bit unfair to compare the RE40s with the Contis because Contis are AS. But nonetheless, I like them so far as far as ride and handling are concerned. Can't beat the treadwear, either. I haven't yet experiened any of the vibration problems that people were talking about, and am inclined to believe that the vibration problems are not design/manufacturing defects, but stem from poor installation.

So far, no snow in NYC after installation, so no opportunity to try out the tires on snow, but am very confident that it'll be 1000% better than the RE40s. (But much worse than snow tires).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Alright, I purchased the tires 1 week ago...So far, I am really satisfied with these Extreme Contacts...I drove in a snow storm(approximately 4-6" snow) from Appleton/Greenbay to Chicago this past weekend, and all I can say is WOW!! It's 100 times better than the stockers RE40's on snow....That's my input!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.