Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been taking my merry time hacking away at the console to get all my ancillary stuff done before I tackle the motor.

Here's a pic of the fabbing I've been doing for the console. It's been a royal pita making enough room to fit the gauges. I have the stock NAV so I can't put them up in a pod like everyone else. Started off with a Metra dash kit...and now I'm finally test fitting stuff. Still need to hard mount the gauges. Just threw everything together to see what it'll look like. Still needs paint too.

Reactions: lambchop11078

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
that looks real clean

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Looks pretty nice - although I personally like to have gauges closer to my driving eye-sight level.
This way with a quick glance, I can check all that's needed.

Where is the music gona be? :p

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The wideband, which is the most important gauge is at eye level. It's in the gauge cluster area. I'll post a pic later. The rest of these are all peak hold gauges and should be easy enough to see where they are. I just hate putting pods up high for everyone else driving around me to see.

The headunit is under the gauges as u can see in the second pic. It's a flip out Alpine HU. BARELY enough space to make it all work.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
looks good Paul, i know what you mean. Having gauges in a pod up top is just asking for trouble here in Cali.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Looking good man, cant wait to see it in the car

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
looks good. why not swap sports? put the temp controls lower, and the gauges up top and the alpine in the middle?

if alpine is open, wont it block gauges?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cause that would take way more hacking of the console than I care to do. The current mods don't prevent me from returning it to stock.

The alpine is not a full screen, It's barely taller than than a standard full din face so it will only cover the very lowest part of the gauge.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the gauges in the car and wired up. I'm liking it! Still need to paint but I'll save that for later. I'm moving on to the motor now.

Startup video:
http://www.teckkits.com/IS300/pods.avi

More pic whoring. You can see the wideband mounted in this pic.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Thats freakin sweet bro! You also have the same wideband as I do!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
nice song ;)

Although that beep sounds like it would get anoying.

Also, can't really tell by the video too much, but it sounds like your cd player is getting stopped before it should and making a 'gear noise'. I'd check to make sure you're not prematurely braking it...

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The self check beep has definitely been muted now. That would get real old real quick.

And yeah, the CD player has done that pretty much from the first day I've had it. I need to get in there to lube the mechanism but it's been happy for the last 3 yrs.

Reactions: Ki11bert

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Plus rep Paul!

That music reminds me of Pattaya Beach Thailand lol.

·
Registered
506 Posts
So what 3 guages did you go with? and who were they made by?

Nice setup I dont perfer the lower guages either, buts thats a nice setup.. + rep for the neat little video

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well, Because the opening is a "double din", I bought the omori single din 3 52mm gauge holder. When I mock fit all of it, the fitment was crap. My radio's face is over a din and the project came crashing down. I opted to put all the gauges in the glove box anyhoo, but I think that will work great for you. Good luck with everything! Thanks for taking pics of all your progress.

Hey, one more thing. From personal experience, I would change both the gauges and wideband to come on with ignition. My wideband heating circuit consumes a lot of power, and it gets to be too much if I'm just sitting in the car wanting to listen to music.

Kill

1 - 20 of 44 Posts