Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If 10 of my IS300 buddies were to line up and start exactly at the same time and accelerate to 60 or 100mph what are the chances that all ten will reach those speeds at the same time? Some cars could/will be signicantly faster and some slower. I wonder what determines whether a car is a healthy example and is performing to factory specs. In the article below (Comparison involving BMW M3, Audi S4, etc) the M3 didn't perform to the level that other M3's have in the past (for Car & Driver)...........or........... Do you think that maybe when Car & Driver tested the other M3's the weather was cool and dry, whereas this particular M3 was tested in a warmer, more humid climate. Anyways in this particular comparo, the S4 beat the M3 by 4 tenths of a second to 60mph...
Eric... http://www.caranddriver.com/FrameSet/0,1350,_sl_NewArticle_sl_0_cm_1633_cm_2 030_7_16_cm_00,00.html

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
i remember when the c&d freaks tested the buick regal grand national back in the '80s. they posted a 4.9 0-60 time bone stock, whereas most other sources were coming in at 5.7-6.0. the reason? c&d tested their unit on a 29 degree day.

there is something to be said about consistent benchmarks. most testers try to shoot for a 55 degree day, as that's considered optimal ambient for combustion engines.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that the environment (Temp & Humidity) play a BIG part in engine performance.... What about my example above with 10 Brand New IS300's or CL-s's
starting at the exact same time, They won't have identical acceleration times... right? Some examples will be healthier than others...
Eric...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
I know that the environment (Temp & Humidity) play a BIG part in engine performance.... What about my example above with 10 Brand New IS300's or CL-s's
starting at the exact same time, They won't have identical acceleration times... right? Some examples will be healthier than others...
Eric...
Some will be faster, some slower. Since everything is built to tolerances sometimes they can stack up in your favor. For example, SCC's project Celica made as much power to the wheels as a car with a straight pipe. Also, one Supra owner had his dyno 340 RWHP (yeah, not hp, rwhp) when it is only rated at 320 at the crank from the factory.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
don't forget that if thsee are especially friends of yours who are not professioanl drivers, driver wil have some bit of a difference in times

1 - 5 of 5 Posts