Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm brand to to the forums and wasn't really sure where else to post this. I'm planning to purchase a Manual trans, IS300, and I've seen a couple of listings around my area for around 14k with around 84k miles or so. (2002)

I was trying to do some research on the car itself, and haven't been able to find too much on it within the last several days, so I was hoping I can get some feedback from current IS300 owners.

Looking at an 02 in particular, with 80k miles or in that general area, has anyone had any problems/issues/complaints?

I really want to know if there's something I should be looking out for or asking about the vehicle when going around looking at the car from a private seller or even from a dealer. Any common problems with the 300?

I'm just looking for a nice, sporty car to commute/play with for a few years and it looks like the IS300 might be for me. Any advice you guys have would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
i have an 02 with just under 90k, no major problems so far. i wish it had a telescoping steering column, but its a good solid ride. I dynamated the car to even further dampen the road noise, but overall a good car for my 70+ mile round trip commute, and for some quick switchbacks on the way

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have 2003 IS300 with 66k miles.... so far no issues and loving the car! just make sure the car you are looking to buy has had proper maintence done!

·
Registered
292 Posts
just make sure the owner took care of the car. No maintenance = problems for you. I did the minimum on mine. Got it new in 03, swapped to mobile one synthetic from the get go. I do my normal fluid flushes, oil @ 5k, filters, etc. I'm coming on 90k now. Nothing has needed changing, no weird noises, nothing is old or weak. I'm doing the 90k soon and changing out the belts, tensioner, idle pulley, water pump, plugs, all the fluids, etc. The car should make it to 200k NO PROBLEM. My BEST car so far in life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2002 with 40k miles and i got it for $14.5k. Best choice I ever made. But it does cost a lot to fill up. I go 80 miles round trip to work everyday so I pay a little more than normal but overall an amazing car. . . specially the 5 speed

·
Registered
648 Posts
Some common problems with these-CD changer and (unfortunately) the clutch/flywheel. Ask for maintenance records. 80k is nearing the upper limit for normal use on these clutches, and since the flywheel can't be resurfaced (99% of the time) you are looking at a $2000 job if you stick with OEM.

If you have found a 5-speed in good condition, JUMP on it. There aren't many out there, and they certainly aren't making any more. I had to ship mine ~2000 miles...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts