Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)Hi. I'm considering a new 2011 IS, I leaning towards the 250 RWD, with six speed manual. Several questions:

1. I like to hear from those with the IS 250. Most state it's underpowered. How is it as a daily driver, fuel mileage?

2. AWD is great, but I think I'd prefer RWD. Pros and cons?

3. I'm a manual transmission guy. Everything I hear regarding the IS manual transmission is negative. Any positive comments?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
:)Hi. I'm considering a new 2011 IS, I leaning towards the 250 RWD, with six speed manual. Several questions:

1. I like to hear from those with the IS 250. Most state it's underpowered. How is it as a daily driver, fuel mileage?

2. AWD is great, but I think I'd prefer RWD. Pros and cons?

3. I'm a manual transmission guy. Everything I hear regarding the IS manual transmission is negative. Any positive comments?

Thanks!

I'd strongly advise test driving a 250 and a 350. If the 250 is not fast enough for you, buy a 350. Once you buy the 250 you're stuck with that level of power. A 350 is only about 10% more money (and about 10% worse mileage) for about 50% more horsepower.

As to AWD, I find it vastly overrated. You're adding hundreds of lbs of weight and losing several mpg 100% of the time...in exchange for slightly improved traction on a car that doesn't have nearly enough power to be traction limited except in really bad winter weather. And for most of the world the weather isn't bad enough for a significant enough part of the year that good snow tires (not all seasons, SNOW tires) won't do just fine with a RWD car.

The reason you hear so many bad things about the 250 manual is that it sucks. Skip it. Really. Worse mileage, worse reliability, slower, and just unpleasant to drive.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
As per usual, Knightshade nails it.

For my kind of driving, I find that the !S 250 provides plenty enough power for merging and getting to safe highway speeds. I had enough dollars to get an IS 350 but I found, that to made sensible use that awesome power, I would have to take it to a track or I would otherwise be driving in an aggressive and unsafe manner. Drag racing Bimmers and 'stangs for street cred is not for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:)Thanks guys, appreciate the information. Would like to hear other opinions on the IS 250 RWD and six speed manual. I understand the six speed would hurt resell value. Most don't want a manual.

·
Registered
575 Posts
:)Thanks guys, appreciate the information. Would like to hear other opinions on the IS 250 RWD and six speed manual. I understand the six speed would hurt resell value. Most don't want a manual.
I tend to disagree. I've been looking for a RWD manual IS250 for a while and they are IMPOSSIBLE to find. For this reason, I would pay top dollar for it. Should u purchase it, it may take LONGER to sell because there arent as many ppl looking for a manual LEXUS, but when you find the buyer that WANTS a manual (like myself) he'll pay for it. Assuming of course you don't have one without a sunroof or leather seats, in which case nobody really wants that...

As for the AWD, personally, I love it. Despite what "enthusiasts" say, AWD is fantastic. Rain and snow (those two things that fall from the sky and tend to make the road all slippery and stuff) become insignificant. Wet roads for the most part will NEVER affect you, and my car is a monster when the white stuff falls. Kniteshade, I value your opinion and all, but with all due respect, you cannot compare a RWD IS250 on good snow tires to a AWD IS250 on equally good tsnow ires. The difference is phenomenal. Again, this is just my opinion.

Yes, I want to switch to a RWD manual. But believe me, if there were an AWD manual, I would have bought one yesterday. Not to mention I don't plan to winter drive the next one

And as for the power (again, despite what "enthusiasts" say), its more than acceptable. Its not a rocket ship, not even close really. Think BMW 325 or MERC C250. But unless your a speed freak, you'll never find yourself regretting ur purchase on the grounds of power defficiency.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:)Thanks for the info. Interesting, I found a untitled 2008 Silver IS 250 RWD, manual (274 miles) at the local Richmond, VA dealer back in late May. Nicely equipped, minus SAT radio, which would have been a easy fix. It was 99% of what I though I wanted. Price was $31,000. I figured it being a manual was the reason it had never sold. I drove it, but just wasn't sure what I wanted at the time. I checked online for several weeks, hoping the price would be reduced. It eventually sold. I went by the dealer this past week, hoping to check out a 2011. I could order a 2011, IS 250, six speed, with a 3-4 month wait. I still need to decide IS 250 vs IS 350, auto vs manual, AWD vs RWD. I'm just about firm with IS 250 RWD. Auto vs manual is a toss up. I'm in no rush to make a decision, but I'm actively looking. I'll keep checking with the local dealer as more 2011s arrive. I assume the second generation is due for a major face lift. Any idea when that might happen? I wouldn't want to buy a 2011, if a major change is due within a year.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The 2IS will be around for at least 2 more years.... fall 2012 (as a 2013) is the earliest you'll see the 3IS.

Regarding power... have you driven a 350 yet? If not, do so. If you think "Eh....yeah, it's faster but who cares" then you're all set to drive a 250...and you'll be fine... but there's more than a few who didn't do this first, then later drove a 350 and regretted getting the 250.

Regarding AWD, the OP lives in Virginia, not Canada... AWD will be worthless to him 90% of the year....(richmond too, not the western part with mountains) and for that whole 90% of it he's gonna get worse mileage and be slower in comparison to the RWD model.

In rain (not snow) I'll take the RWD 7 days a week 365 a year as long as I get to put good tires on it.

In dry weather, doubly so.

In snow (which 99% of IS drivers will see only a small fraction of the year, and many will never see) the RWD with snow tires is what most people drove just fine for most of the last century without trouble. AWD will be "better" here for starting from a dead stop on slippery roads...and that's about it. Even then the difference isn't that much if you put good snow tires (not all seasons) on the RWD car.

I also, personally, wouldn't buy a 2+ year old car with only 200 miles on it... it's been sitting almost entirely undriven for that long which is terrible for it.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Regarding power... have you driven a IS F yet? If not, do so. If you think "Eh....yeah, it's faster but who cares" then you're all set to drive a 350...and you'll be fine... but there's more than a few who didn't do this first, then later drove a IS F and regretted getting the 350.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Regarding power... have you driven a IS F yet? If not, do so. If you think "Eh....yeah, it's faster but who cares" then you're all set to drive a 350...and you'll be fine... but there's more than a few who didn't do this first, then later drove a IS F and regretted getting the 350.
lmaooo +rep

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
While funny, it's demonstrably untrue.

The performance difference 250->350 is huge, while the price is small.

Greater than a 2 second faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile... and only about $4000 more.

The performance difference 350->F is small, while the price is huge.

Only about a 0.5-0.7 second faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile... and over $20,000 more.

I understand the temptation to make the comparison, but it's really not the same thing.

I've driven all three... (and my previous car was quicker and more powerful than all 3) and 250->350 really is a night and day difference for a small cost... 350->F, while certainly enough to notice, isn't anywhere near as large a change in real performance, and a massive jump in price.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
While funny, it's demonstrably untrue.

The performance difference 250->350 is huge, while the price is small.

Greater than a 2 second faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile... and only about $4000 more.

The performance difference 350->F is small, while the price is huge.

Only about a 0.5-0.7 second faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile... and over $20,000 more.

I understand the temptation to make the comparison, but it's really not the same thing.

I've driven all three... (and my previous car was quicker and more powerful than all 3) and 250->350 really is a night and day difference for a small cost... 350->F, while certainly enough to notice, isn't anywhere near as large a change in real performance, and a massive jump in price.
Touche!

·
Sofa King Awesome
3,603 Posts
I have a 6MT, I really do like it. Although the power is lacking, it does handle great at the track. If you are just looking for something fast as hell that is 6MT take a look at the new Mustang GT 400hp...if you want something with a great interior and quality in that price range the 250 is a nice best of both worlds. If you do not care for having a 6 speed, give the 350 serious consideration. As Knightshade said you might need more power, the mods you can do to increase power are severely limited. Intake/Midpipe/Exhaust/headers and you still don't gain a tremendous amount. Best mods you can do for handling are sticky tires, sway bars, and the x-package for the sport suspension/sexy rims.

Also if you do live somewhere where it is cold or snows, you will need winter wheels/tires. There is no way around it...X-Package comes with summer tires so you will be spinning tires with less than an inch of snow. Your grip turns to crap when it gets cold on stock tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd equate the IS250 to a stock IS300, with no room for performance upgrades. If you were happy with the combination of luxury and adequate sportiness, you'll love the IS250.

As you'll come to find, if you want more power.. you should've just gone with a 350, but in my case I got mine for half of what I could've purchased a 350 for, so it made sense. Besides, I have my TT Z32 or 69 Chevy to build for performance. The IS250's 2.5 V6 is like driving a slightly sporty Honda when it comes to actual power delivery. She's a rather tame one, but has enough "go" to satisfy to majority of drivers if you wind her up in sport shift.

I just went from a G35 to my IS250 and it's a HUGE difference in speed, but the Lexus is the nicer car hands down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This thread helps alot as far as my research goes in my quest to purchase a 250. I was pretty sure i'd want the AWD being it's a feature that doesn't hurt having on a daily driver i'd just want to get from point A to B in comfort, the only downside being i can't run a staggered wheel setup, however now realizing how it may affect my gas mileage i'm curious to know, how big of a decrease is it compared to a RWD?

-Jib

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
2-3 mpg typically... and that's 100% of the time since it's a full time AWD system.

Which is why I think it's really not a feature worth having versus just using snow tires a couple months of the year (and still getting better mileage even then)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I could'a, would'a, shoud'a

:)I've been actively looking for six month. Finally made my decision two weeks ago. I purchased a new 2011 IS 350 F-Sport in Matador Red Mica. Took the majority opinion and went with the IS 350 over the IS 250. Definitely didn't want AWD, just didn't see the need or extra expense. Daily driver, but I have another vehicle for extreme weather. Wasn't considering the F-Sport, but I liked the factory lowered look via lowering springs, sway bars, cross member brace, and F-Sport exhaust and extras. Not sure about the dark factory 18" F-Sport wheels. Considering going with Five:AD R5F 19" wheels in silver or Stealth Chrome. Opinions? Had to have the NAV, sun roof, HIDs, and love the LEDs. The F-Sport exhaust is much louder and the ride much firmer than a regular IS 350. I like the sportiness and the look. After comparing a standard IS 350, couldn't go with bland. Local dealer had a low mileage 2008 IS-F for not much more than what I paid. The IS-F was appealing, but didn't need that much car as a daily driver and I love brand new. I have a Mercedes SLK 55 that spends a lot of time in the garage waiting for sunny days. Upgraded from a Mazda6, five speed (which I'll miss), was a great fun car. I've loved the IS, second generations for years.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Regarding AWD, the OP lives in Virginia, not Canada... AWD will be worthless to him 90% of the year....(richmond too, not the western part with mountains) and for that whole 90% of it he's gonna get worse mileage and be slower in comparison to the RWD model.
Yeah, but sometimes that 10% can be very, very significant.

I'm sure you'll remember that one time, for a split second, you lost traction and...

In the end, I guess it depends what you bought your car for. I find my IS 250 AWD A nice combination of luxury, performance, and value.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Yeah, but sometimes that 10% can be very, very significant.

I'm sure you'll remember that one time, for a split second, you lost traction and...

In the end, I guess it depends what you bought your car for. I find my IS 250 AWD A nice combination of luxury, performance, and value.
I learned to drive in NY, and have also lived in Canada... both places where they know the value of using SNOW tires in the snow, so the only times I've really lost traction where it mattered were cases where AWD would've been no help at all (ice under all 4 wheels)

If you really feel you need AWD to be confident in bad weather (and I hope you're on the proper tires for the weather too, not just "all seasons") then by all means, stick with what you feel you need...

But realistically unless you're taking the car off-road (off properly maintained paved roads that is) a RWD car with the proper tires gets around just fine virtually anywhere and offers better performance, mileage, and lower initial and long term costs while doing so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
nice car...I am in the same spot, considering a 250 then saw the f-sport package (want the usb) but and now thinking 350 f-sport. did you have to order your car or is there a dealer near you that had some? I live about 1 1/2 north of you and am having a hard time finding any in stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts