Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who wants to help?

So fer me, I get one code; P1300 which is a toyota code for "Igniter Circuit Malfunction"

Background info:
The ignitor itself it bypassed. Coils are connected directly to the ignition unit.

Anyone know how to overcome this?

This is the only code I get...and I'm guessing that this code prevents the car from doing any further diagnostics as I'm almost positive I should be throwing more than just that. I hope I'm wrong and this is the only one I have to deal with.

The wiring diagram for the ignitor is here
http://users.rcn.com/sscustom/ignition.pdf

Reactions: maxxpsi

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
You could try reading the electrical loads of the stock igniter and simulate them to "cure" the code.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yogi_TRD said:
You could try reading the electrical loads of the stock igniter and simulate them to "cure" the code.
yep.
i need a stock car.

Or finger out how the car knows there is an igniter issue.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
How is it reading the TAC signal on 2M in your diagram if the igniter is by-passed. Btw what's the point of doing so, standalone requirement?

If tac from 2m-2e are compared, to see if one is failing, ie give you the code, You could try tapping the TAC signal going to 2E and send it also to 2M - But yeah you would need to get a stock IS300 member to check the difference between the 2 signals, and see if that would help.

my stupid .02 cents

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TeckniX said:
How is it reading the TAC signal on 2M in your diagram if the igniter is by-passed. Btw what's the point of doing so, standalone requirement?

If tac from 2m-2e are compared, to see if one is failing, ie give you the code, You could try tapping the TAC signal going to 2E and send it also to 2M - But yeah you would need to get a stock IS300 member to check the difference between the 2 signals, and see if that would help.

my stupid .02 cents
I will read this when I'm mentally capable of doing so.
But thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I noticed your diagram is for a '01. You might want to try to read a '01 for the signals. I know the ecu is diff on later years but I don't know if the igniter is the same.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yogi_TRD said:
I noticed your diagram is for a '01. You might want to try to read a '01 for the signals. I know the ecu is diff on later years but I don't know if the igniter is the same.
My car is an 01.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
^^Kinda guessed that. Hence the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Sup De... I know im not on standalone but maybe you could use the same priciple as I did to make the car run correctly. I used two of the MSD tach adapter.. I have the part number somewhere.. I used the tach adapters to simulate the IgF signal which is a 5v square wave, returned upon ignition cycle completion from each coil pack.. maybe you could splice pair in and send said signal to the stock ECU eventhough you are not using it. The theory is based on the fact that if the ECU sees said signal no CE will be triggered...Pm me if you need part number..

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Myis300t, so if I understood you correctly, you basically used the MSD coil packs to send the IgF signal to the 2M port? I'd like the part number just for info, so I can lookup the part and see its wiring and understand where in the ecu/diagram it's returning the ignition cycle completion signal.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
interesting thanks fer the info.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
TeckniX said:
Myis300t, so if I understood you correctly, you basically used the MSD coil packs to send the IgF signal to the 2M port? I'd like the part number just for info, so I can lookup the part and see its wiring and understand where in the ecu/diagram it's returning the ignition cycle completion signal.

Not quite. I used there 8912 tach adapters and the aem CDI box, Which I believe De is using as well. The tach adapters were created by msd for use with there DIS systems for vehicles requiring alternate tach output signal. Our vehicle willnot run if it does not see the IGF return after every complete ignition cycle. This device, (the 8912) when wired in this configuration, will supply the necessary IGF signal back to the ECU. This is how it is wired on my 04'.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
so lets get some things straight here...

haltech standalone owners... the only CEL code is from "ignitor circuit malfunction" or are there a bunch of other codes. If this is the only code, the only thing needed would be a simulator for the ECU to see the ignitor is doing its job.

De, the ignitor circuit malfunction is NOT preventing further diagnostics. If thats the only code you are getting, then thats it. I am saying this based on the few cars i have done standalones on.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Malekreza11 said:
so lets get some things straight here...

haltech standalone owners... the only CEL code is from "ignitor circuit malfunction" or are there a bunch of other codes. If this is the only code, the only thing needed would be a simulator for the ECU to see the ignitor is doing its job.

De, the ignitor circuit malfunction is NOT preventing further diagnostics. If thats the only code you are getting, then thats it. I am saying this based on the few cars i have done standalones on.
Cool. Yeah, I have spoken to a few people as well as TE and confirmed that this is really the only CEL that I'll get.

So no big deal. I can pass inspection.

I shoulda listened to myself when I told other people not to listen to everyone on this site.

It's not gonna be that hard to pass inspection with a standalone fuel ECU.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
i think it wouldnt be too bad to defeat your CEL for the p1300 code.

some sort of simulator box can be created for it. Im not a electrical engineer but if we can read the signal and see what kind of signal it is, it can be simulated. Once simulated, CEL is gone.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
i think it wouldnt be too bad to defeat your CEL for the p1300 code.

some sort of simulator box can be created for it. Im not a electrical engineer but if we can read the signal and see what kind of signal it is, it can be simulated. Once simulated, CEL is gone.
its a 5 volt square wave....ill post apicture of it from the Is300 ts manual..

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
that should be pretty simple to simulate then and send it back so the ECU is happy with the ignitor. Then the CEL is gone.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so with a little research (preliminary at best)
I think i may be able to make a standalone simulator with a 555 timer and some resistors, and a cap.

It wouldn't change per RPM though.

Anyone have the technical manual and knows what frequency the IGF should receive at idle?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts