Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

New to the forum here. I'm currently considering possibly getting a new car. I currently drive an Acura 1.6 EL, and I'm looking for something with more power, luxury, and a little more room. Some of the other cars I have been looking at are the Acura 3.2 TL, Infiniti G35, and the Lexus IS300. Just looking for your input on the IS300. I need a good reliable car (I have owned mostly Hondas and Acuras in the past). My main concern is the fact that the IS300 is rear wheel drive. To those of you that live in climates that get snow and slippery weather, how do you find the IS300 in these conditions? As well, is there anything I should look for in terms of common problems. I ask this because I am considering dropping the Acura 3.2 TL off my list as I have heard of numerous cases of transmission failures. Just looking for your thoughts on the IS300.

TIA. :D

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Before I bought my IS, I considered the 3.2 TL, 3.2 CL, and 330 Ci. I honestly think I made the right choice with the IS. It handles great, has good power, and it was fully loaded for the price I got it at. It's really a great bang for your buck car. But if you're planning to drive it during the winter, you're going to need a set of snow tires.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Two points I'll make foryou. The IS is the smallest of the those you are considering. Don't consider the IS unless you take into account the purchase of dedicated snow tires. The IS is a great car in all weather conditions, as long as it has the right tires for the right season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I kind of figured that snow tires would be a necessity if I get an IS300. With the snows, is the car still alright in winter conditions or will there be a noticable difference, comparing a front wheel drive car with all-season tires. I only ask, as all of my previous cars have had front wheel drive and no snows, and I have not had any major problems (we don't get a too much snow here in Toronto). Anyways, thanks for your replies and keep them coming. :D

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I got my car for the handling, looks and all-out luxury. The performance isnt great stock but its not that bad. You just cant beat these car's :D

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I live in Calgary so I've got a rougher time with inclimate weather than in Toronto. With a good set of winter tires, you shouldn't have a problem. With snow mode and traction control, you should be fine.

I considered all my options when I picked up the IS300. From the Golf 1.8T, Accord, TL-S, WRX, A4, 325i, G35. One of the major reasons I went with the IS300 was reputation for long lasting vehicles. There have been a lot of Toyotas in my family and they are all trouble-free. If you're after more room, I'd suggest looking at other cars.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i may drive an IS300

but the infiniti is the best bang out of the buck right now.

if it carried a lexus badge, it would sell 3x better...

·
Registered
5 Posts
might i say if ur concidering the acura 3.2 TL they still have problems i have one and i am in the process of making acura give my money back. there are many people at the Acura-tl.com forums that have as many as 4 transmission replaced and alot of other malfunctions like right now my cruise controll does not work and might i add that the brakes on the TL are faulty i have almost gotton in a number of accidents with that car. NHTSA started a investigation in Acura recently and it in proccess if you are thinking of buying a TL i give my honest jugement that you reconcider. when i bought my TL i was also soncidering the IS but the only reason i did not get it because my friend was going to get it and this was back in high school and he ended up gettin something else so now it feels like i missed out on some stuff that i could of had with the IS 300. it might have less HP and TQ then the TL but all around the car is well built and manufactured. if you want more information on the TL's problem feel free to ask i wouldn't want you to make the wrong decission as i did and acura still hasent fixed their tranny problem yet even for the 2003 its still there. so ya ask if u have any questions. :)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
IMO, a balanced RWD vehicle with Blizzaks drives better than a FWD with all-seasons in the snow. I don't use my IS in the snow, but have another RWD manual trans car with Blizzaks and would not trade it for FWD.

·
11,062 Posts
Last winter, some folks posted pictures of IS300s running down the street in lots of snow with no trouble...but ya gotta have the snow tires. Other Canadians here (including one in Edmonton) and those in snowy parts of the US have found that with those snow tires and some prudence, there's no trouble. You MAY want to load some weight in the trunk if you have steep inclines to climb...extra traction.

What AM I thinking? HILLS in eastern Canada? My bad. :wink:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I live in Toronto as well. I own both a 1999 3.2TL and a 2001 IS300. The TL is actually my brothers now, it was mine but I sold it to him so I could get the IS. I can still drive it cause we both still live with mom and dad. I got rid of the TL cause it felt like an old mans car. It was big and heavy and didn't handle well. It was fast in a straight line and had a luxurious interior but that was all I liked about it. It wasn't much to look at from the front although the rear looked good with the spoiler.

The IS300 felt more like me. More compact interior, excellent handling, amazing looks inside and out. I remember when I first got it and I was driving along in the summer with the window down, some people would shout "Nice Car!". I never got reactions like that in the TL. Oh and the chicks! Don't get me started with the chicks. They all loved it. I just wish it had a little more power, I hate gettin beat by civics.

Anyways, all the cars you are looking at are good. I never had any problems with my TL, no transmission troubles or anything. So I think that it is a rock solid car. But after having a taste of rear-wheel drive with the IS300, I don't think I'll ever go back to FWD. But what ever RWD car you get make sure you get snow tires or a beater for the winter. Just found out a friend of mine got a beater for the same price I spent on snow tires for my IS300. :pissed:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i had an Acura TL-S before my IS300, and i would say its a GREAT car (if you don't run into the transmission problem...) I was going to get another TL-S after i totalled my first one, however, my parents didn't approve of me getting another TL-S for some stupid reasons. so i got an IS300 instead. in my opinion both are great cars in different ways. heres a review i wrote on the TL-S vs IS if you're interested:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=445977&highlight=tls+is300#post445977

·
Registered
268 Posts
Before I bought my IS, I considered and Acura CL Type S or A BMW 3 series. To me I consider the price and the looks. For the BMW, my God! :eek: the price is just outrageous and not including the license/tax. As far as the Acura, I don't like how it looks compared to the IS. So go get an IS...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
twosixty said:
might i say if ur concidering the acura 3.2 TL they still have problems i have one and i am in the process of making acura give my money back. there are many people at the Acura-tl.com forums that have as many as 4 transmission replaced and alot of other malfunctions like right now my cruise controll does not work and might i add that the brakes on the TL are faulty i have almost gotton in a number of accidents with that car. NHTSA started a investigation in Acura recently and it in proccess if you are thinking of buying a TL i give my honest jugement that you reconcider. when i bought my TL i was also soncidering the IS but the only reason i did not get it because my friend was going to get it and this was back in high school and he ended up gettin something else so now it feels like i missed out on some stuff that i could of had with the IS 300. it might have less HP and TQ then the TL but all around the car is well built and manufactured. if you want more information on the TL's problem feel free to ask i wouldn't want you to make the wrong decission as i did and acura still hasent fixed their tranny problem yet even for the 2003 its still there. so ya ask if u have any questions. :)
I know what you mean about the tranny problems on the TL, as I have also browsed through www.acura-tl.com. This is the main problem that has me looking at other cars such as the IS300, G35, etc. even though I have been a loyal Honda/Acura owner for many years. Anyways, thanks for all your replies, I'll probably make my final decision come spring time.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I test drove a TL-S before buying my IS. If I were satisfied with FWD and an automatic, I'd have purchased it. But the car is nowhere near as fun, despite having a significant power disadvantage.

I ran into a TL-S on the street a couple weeks ago. Hmm, must be a power sapping transmission because our cars were very well matched in acceleration.

·
11,062 Posts
kona said:
I have read on other posts that the is300 does not do well in snow/ice conditions.
Goes great in snow if you have snow tires. Nothing does well on a sheet of ice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
13 Participants
SeattleSheila
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing