Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a used 2001 IS3, but it has a LOT of miles on it (32,000). I haven't yet confirmed why the car has so miles but when I did a VIN check I found that the car is about 6 months old. That averages to nearly 200 miles per day, so I doubt that could be anything other than freeway miles.

I have seen photos of the interior and exterior and the car looks to be in excellent shape. The owner has lowering springs on the car and 18" rims that look decent. He is asking $25k. Should I consider this or look elsewhere?

thanks in advance,
-Alt

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well put it this way. I put close to 200 miles a day on the car w/out highway driving but that is cuz i am a driving nut. I got through a tank of gas like everyday. Recently i got my tickit and my dad threatened to sell my car. If this had be 6 months after i had it i would probably have close to 32000 on it but that is still kinda alot. I would also have a valid excuse for selling a perfectly good car so look into it some more, Dont put it off so soon, it is a good deal there.
Sam

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Why is he selling it?"

-He said he is trying to save money as he already has another car, as does his girlfriend (whom he lives with).... reasonable explanation since he financed the IS3.

thanks!
-Alt

·
Registered
301 Posts
That does not sound like a good deal. The car has probably been driven hard (fast driving, high RPMs, possible missed service intervals??). These things add up to an unreliable car in the long run. However if you are gonna sell/trade this car in a year or two then that would be a different story.

In any case, I'd suggest you keep looking. Heck a brand new IS300 have been bought at or below invoice -- $31,000 (loaded). And in a few months, when the '02 come out, they will be selling for less.

[ May 10, 2001: Message edited by: soulstalker ]

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
By doing a average using new car pricing and current value at Edmunds. A 2000 ES300 with a retail of 35000 lost about 8000 in the first year with 32000 miles on it. The comparison is just to show an example of what another Lexus vehicle has depreciated. The basis was a loaded ES300 with a MSRP of 35K, invoice of 31K when new. I then put in the used criteria with 32K for mileage and it came back with a TMV of 27K. Again that is a vehicle that is checked thoroughly and then sold by a dealer. A private party vehicle is worth less. I'm not sure why I did this example, but use it for what its worth.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys, I appreciate it. I will probably test drive the car this weekend but I am also pretty wary of the car due to the mileage. I may just wait it out and get the IS300M later this year... when is it coming out officially? Will the MSRP be the same as the auto? I should put this into another thread....

thanks again,
-Alt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts