Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for something else to modify without going to headers or FI. I'm looking to save a few lbs off the car and NOT myself as I'm already at a lean 160lbs. Getting a lightweight battery that weighs around 15 lbs compared to the stock one at 42.5lbs seems like a good place to start for relatively cheap. The battery I'm looking at is a Braille Lightweight Racing Battery which appears to have multiple mounting options, so I'm in the preliminary stages of deciding how it would be mounted.

Batteries - Braille Lightweight Racing Battery (Standard Case) 15 lbs.
The Spec B2015 is also perfect for daily street use - even in colder climates - Braille developed the B2015 to excel at racing and to easily power street vehicles equipped with A/C - stereos and power accessories - - Braille LLC

For reference here is a picture of the OEM

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The optimal place, performance/weight wise, would be in the trunk, right rear. Would take running some wires a goodly length though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The optimal place, performance/weight wise, would be in the trunk, right rear. Would take running some wires a goodly length though.
Yeah for performance/handling wise it would make sense to be in the trunk. For drag racing purposes and to shed some weight I plan on keeping with the stock location with a lightweight battery.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i got the 6lbs one, i mounted it standard with the connections on top.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
in my opinion, stay away from braille UNLESS you have a strictly track only car, or if you have a master kill switch for your electrical system in the cockpit.

i have dealt with blake & meghan and braille for years now. great people, great customer service.

i have had awful luck with their batteries. i presently have 6 of them in my shop. sevral 6 lb. lightweight CF batteries, and a couple larger 12 lb. batteries. they look great, and work well for a few days. they dont hold charge. they put a shitload of stress on your alternator. they are a nightmare to charge if you need to recharge them on a trickle charger.

if you want a lightweight battery, id personally go with an odyssey. either that or buy a red top optima.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
by the way, if you want to buy a braille, pm me. ill sell you one

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
PC680 is a bit too compromising IMO.

Go with a PC925 or equivalent.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
PC680 is a bit too compromising IMO.

Go with a PC925 or equivalent.
I guess I should be more clear on my intent with this battery idea. The lightweight battery would not be used in my car daily. I would plan to only have it in my car for drag racing, which for me is typically once or twice in the summer and a few times in the fall. There is a very big drag race event that I run each year called "World Cup Finals" at MIR. Last year I walked away with 1st place in the Street Stock class and I was thrilled. The competition was very tough and I'm afraid that unless I do something this year, I won't have a chance next season. So my plan is to use this battery on occasion for the weight savings.

From what I have noticed with the IS350 is that for ever 30lbs = 1/10th knocked off the quarter mile and about 1mph gained. Seems like very little, but when the class you are running is hitting similar times as me, the 1/10 is big.

·
Registered
29 Posts
what would be a good lightweight battery to buy if it were going to be used everyday?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
what would be a good lightweight battery to buy if it were going to be used everyday?
Odyssey PC925!

For caymandiver75...since you know that your are using it specifically for drag only, def go as light as you can. Heck, might as well even consider a different accessory belt to temporarily route out the alternator :). Not sure about the serpentine layout on the IS350...but def an option on other vehicles.

·
Registered
212 Posts
ok ok ok ppl am sorry it was my mistake the battery is fine... duh!!! here is the pic diver75..

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
yeah, i dont see brackets. that cant be too good. god forbid you gets tossed around...

i have a braille ill send you for $50 if you want it....i cant egt it to hold charge for shit.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm going for the PC680t and will use this type of bracket (black finish not silver) with the 3 holes on each side. I plan to lay/mount the battery flat on the factory battery tray with the terminals towards the firewall for a nice clean, safe and stealthy installation. I called and apparently the 680 is on backorder, so once they are back in stock I'll be getting everything I need and will post pictures. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
the battery is held in place by tie wraps aka zippie ties on top and bottom. if i got tossed its not gonna move, i though about that.. what happen earlier was my kill switch opps.. i totaly forgot about it since the switch is soo small..lol, i use my car everyday no problems.. and the battery looks nice and it goes with my carbon fiber theme.. hope these helps

1 - 20 of 47 Posts