Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my oil changed this morning at my 5000 mile service and when I checked the dipstick later on in this afternoon there was too much oil put in. It was about 1/2 inches above the max indicater dot on the dipstick. I called the dealer and they said that it'll just burn off after 1000 miles or so. Bu//sh/t! I told them to make a note of their mistake just in case something happens. What damage can potentially occur if you drive around with too much oil?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Having way too much oil in an engine can cause problems when the oil level is high enough for the moving parts in the engine (like the crankshaft) to splash through it. When this happens the oil foams and can cause the oil circulation in the engine to fail (the oil pump wants to pump oil, not air).

I don't think a 1/2 quart over the full line is something to worry about. I have seen this happen before without any engine problems. If it really bothers you, just put a drain pan under the engine and drain out a little oil. It will make a mess when you try to put the plug back in, but nothing that can't be cleaned up.

I did notice when I changed my oil for the first time that it didn't take as much as the manual stated (and yes, I changed the filter too). I wonder if the manual might be off?

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Too much engine oil causes shaft seals to blow.....then you'll have to replace them. Plus more oil means foaming AND actually creates more drag to the engine.....

I certainly wouldn't overfill the crankcase too much.....personally, 0.25 quart over is my maximum.......

Sure, it may drive fine.....but you won't actually know the damage until the damage's been done....Are you willing to take that chance????

Plus, whoever told you that the engine oil will burn off after 1000 miles is full of crap.....If you car is indeed burning so much oil, you should be very worried....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to post that I did drain the excess oil myself and everything is cool...for now. Thanks for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
gmej
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing