Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just found some time to pick up the block from the machine shop this weekend. Hopefully in acouple of weeks I can find some time to put the bottom end all together. I am at the point in selecting which rods I want to go with. I am not looking for something in the Carrillo ball park but more towards the Eagle H beams etc. Here's my two options; Eagle ESP 3D H Beam Rods or the SCAT 4340 Chromoly H Beam Rods.

Eagle ESP H Beam features:
2-Piece forging for increased strength
Silicon bronze bushings for floating pistons
Multi-stage heat treated
Packaged in weight matched sets
Certified 4340 steel, vacuum degassed to remove impurities
Each forgins is x-rayed, sonic tested, and magnafluxed to insure quality
All surfaces are 100% machined
Shot peened to stress relieve the metal

Scats H Beam Rod features:
NEW Forged High Tensile 4340 Chromoly Steel
• 3/8" ARP 2000 Cap Screw
• Fully Profiled for stroker engines
• Each forging is x-rayed, sonic tested & magnafluxed
• Shot peened to stress relieve surfaces
• Packaged in weight matched sets ± 1 grams
• Rated to 650 HP

They both are 4340 forged steel. The only difference I see is that the SCAT comes with ARP 2000 rods and the Eagle comes with 7/16 ARP (not ARP 2000). I am not that familar with the ARP stuff, maybe someone can chime in. I haven't heard much about SCAT.

Anyone know what the Eagle's rods at rated for HP?

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
That Manley rods are good and we have used them in many builds we have done. Definitely reliable and tested to 800+RWHP.

I like them better than Eagles.

My rod preference Starting with best and going down:

Carillo
Pauter
Manley
Eagle
Crower
Stock GTE
etc. etc.

I stay with the top three when doing an engine build. Carillos are definitely the nicest out there, but definitely pricey. Pauter is not much better than carillos in the pricing dept. Manleys work great and are well constructed, well priced.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thannks Mo for the input. Manley? I am not quite sure if I am reading your post correctly, are the SCAT rods produced by Manley?

My bearing choice were going to be Clevite 77 bearings for main, rod and thrust.

FYI this will be a mild engine build for a daily driver. I opted for a 20 over forged pistons instead of a GTE drop in internals because of the mileage on the block.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Thannks Mo for the input. Manley? I am not quite sure if I am reading your post correctly, are the SCAT rods produced by Manley?

My bearing choice were going to be Clevite 77 bearings for main, rod and thrust.

FYI this will be a mild engine build for a daily driver. I opted for a 20 over forged pistons instead of a GTE drop in internals because of the mileage on the block.
Negative on clevite. Go with power enterprise if money isnt an issue if not, next best would be ACL Race series bearings which is actually what i have in the car now.

Reactions: Eminence

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kool, thanks boost. I wasn't researching much with the bearings as I though Clevites were widely used and better then OE.

Keep 'em coming guys!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
No problem. I do have the thrust washer from clevite though. Dont know is theres another brand for them.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Negative on clevite. Go with power enterprise if money isnt an issue if not, next best would be ACL Race series bearings which is actually what i have in the car now.
Clevites are a common Bearing to use on Built 2Js. I use them and have had no issues. Care to elaborate on what the concern is with Clevites vs the others?

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clevites are a common Bearing to use on Built 2Js. I use them and have had no issues. Care to elaborate on what the concern is with Clevites vs the others?
Good question, I never heard anything bad about Clevite bearings.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I read the article in supraforums. Clevite was there last preferance.

Also clevite is as standard as a bearing as you can get. You should put bearings that are made to put up with the abuse. BTW i dont think there is much difference in price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts