Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my "nit" list over things in the Lexus advertisements that I have seen:

1> "Drilled aluminum pedals".
(as far as I know they are "stamped" aluminum covers on top of steel/rubber pedals)
2> "8 speaker stereo"
(There are 6 physical speaker cutouts/mount points in the car).
3> "More power than the upgrade options in the competition."
The new BMW330i and Nissan Maxima have a bit more power... Lexus hasn't made this claim recently though.
4> "Under $30,000".
(They used to say this, but not anymore. They came close, but not quite.)
5> "Spacious Trunk".
(There are plenty of cars with much bigger trunks)
6> 34.1ft turning radius.
(I hope this is true, but I keep seeing reviews - like the one in July Car & Driver - which are saying 37.4)

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited July 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
48 Posts
1)i can tell you that the pedals are cover plated i drove an is300 and i looked closly they are not true drilled one piece racing pedals
2)the turning circle seem normal to me
3) the other stuff i dono

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Perhaps a better way is to use: "drilled-style aluminum pedals." <shrug>

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Lexus has underestimated their audience, perhaps. But then again, the masses who buys this car probably won't even realize the difference between weight reduction techniques and silly style techniques.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Are drilled pedals more difficult to use. You would think that the metal would have less traction. So perhaps the design in the IS is more user friendly...
Eric...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well as for the pedals I dont even think that they're aluminum. As I posted a few months back, I accidently knocked one off when my dealership had one in the showroom. I felt it and it really felt like plastic. As for the simulated holes all they are a round pieces of rubber.
I say lawsuit for false advertisement and get free IS300s---just kidding.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've never driven a car with true drilled aluminum pedals, but I agree with Eric that it would make sense that there's not much traction. I would imagine that it would tricky if not downright dangerous when it's raining and your shoes are wet.

And there lies what the IS 300 is all about, sporty yet practical. My theory is that Lexus realizes that there will be a lot more "mainstream" buyers than "enthusiasts." By mainstream, I mean the guys who take the car to work everday and use it to ferry around their friends.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have driven cars with true drilled aluminum pedals.

For example, the 3rd generation Rx7. On that car the "holes" have a raised lip that grabs your shoe a bit. I didn't find them slipery at all.

Some of the early reviews of the IS300 have expressed concern that the smooth aluminum cover plates could cause problems if you drive with wet shoes.

The review at auto.com / Car & Driver says:
"Like the Toyota MR2 Spyder and Celica GT-S, the IS 300 has perforated aluminum cladding on its foot pedals -- cool to look at, but a little slippery underfoot if you've just come in from the rain."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts