Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat confused by the array of manual transmissions Toyota & Lexus have used (and are still using) for their rear-wheel-drive models powered by inline-6 engines.

I remember reading once that the delay (until 2002 models) in the IS300 getting a manual option was due to the fact that the 6-speed manual used in the JDM/Euro IS200 couldn't handle the extra power/torque of the 3-liter inline six. Thus, we were forced to "settle" for the sturdier 5-speed manual used in the Supra as well as in a handful of Lexus SC300 coupes. Yet, this transmission doesn't seem to be all that sturdy either, based on what I've read here from Freelance and others with boosted engines. I've read about people putting in Supra transmissions (which I thought the manuals had to begin with).

Did Supra Turbos come with different manual transmissions than non-turbo Supras? If so, was that a 5-speed or a 6-speed? If Toyota/Lexus had these different manuals, why did it go with a weakish one for the IS300? Cost? Just curious if anyone here can clarify all this...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Short answer...yes, the Supra TT's had a Getrag-made 6-speed manual called the V160 or V161. The non-turbo Supras used the W58 transmission, while our IS300's have the W55. The SC300, however, used the W57, IIRC.

Some notes about the W55:
- they were used in old RWD Celicas and MkI or II Supras (I don't remember exactly) since the early to mid '80s.

- the W* transmissions are all basically the same design but with minor differences such as gear ratios.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I know of two people on the forums that have had to get their W55's replaced twice, yes, both of them twice on stock power! not even an intake. :-?

Decent drivers prolly, just got the short end of the stick. Where as some people like Wxman either know exactely how to drive their cars or have lucked out, cause he's got a SHIT load of torque at his disposal with an upgraded clutch and he's been going strong for damn near a full year on boost I believe.

And people say the auto's are shit? I say WHATEVA'!! :lol: :wink:

I believe PFS was the first to attempt, and has successfully done a few R154 swaps (MkIII supra 5-speeds). It's a direct replacement with a few minor things to do to get it to work, but it's a cheaper alternative to a full on V160 swap.

I on the other hand love the auto, and with the shift kit I love it even more! :D

Kane

·
Registered
675 Posts
The reason for the delay was because the euro/altezza 6 speed tranny is not able to handle the torque of the inline 6 (If you saw one you would see why). The Getrag tranny was considered to have too much gear noise for a "Lexus". I imagine cost and emissions had something to do with it too. The W55 is a variation of the W58 trans out of the N/A supra. The main difference is the gear ratios.

Since I am racing the W55 tranny w/ upgraded clutch and flywheel I am concerned about durability. No problems so far (knock on wood)

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, guys. You all did a great job at clarifying this for me.

·
Registered
448 Posts
the only problem i have heard about the manual tranny of the is300 is the bad pilot bearing. it's easier to replace the tranny than to replace the bearing...or that's what i have been told by some engineers at work.

and manual still owns. autos are for mommies in minivans. haha.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
atomicbombpinoy said:
and manual still owns. autos are for mommies in minivans. haha.
You said it, brotha!! :wink:

Good thread here... great info. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
JW said:
...yes, the Supra TT's had a Getrag-made 6-speed manual called the V160 or V161.
What is the difference between the V160 & V161 if both are Getrag 6-speeds?

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Just thought I'd add that the 6 speed in the IS200 comes from the same company that makes trannys for the Maita and RX-8. It's like Aishin or something?

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
ckolsen said:
Just thought I'd add that the 6 speed in the IS200 comes from the same company that makes trannys for the Maita and RX-8. It's like Aishin or something?
So...you are saying they are not both made by Getrag?

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
redline814 said:
ckolsen said:
So...you are saying they are not both made by Getrag?
Go back to the beginning of this thread. Of all the manuals discussed here, the IS200 6-speed made by Aishin(?) is the weakest, whereas the Supra Twin Turbo's Getrag W160/161 is the strongest. The only thing in common between these 2 transmissions is the number of speeds and the fact that they're used in Toyota/Lexus cars. That's it!

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lex7 said:
Wow great post man. Some dots fo you my friend

Justin
Thank you very much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts