Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not getting negative on Mo's efforts at developing an excellent product like the SRT HFI for the IS300, but has anyone taken into consideration two things. First, the HFI will increase the noise coming from the engine bay. Second, there appears to a reduced gas mileage as a result of the intake.

Just curious.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
power takes gas anyway you look at it...well in general...and the noise...well lots of ppl like the noise that an intake makes...plus is it really that loud, especially windows up and radio on?

·
Registered
88 Posts
At WOT it sounds like you have a 4bbl card. During normal driving, it's not that much louder than stock. When you start to accelerate, the sound becomes progressively more noticeable as more throttle is applied.

I did a subjective test tonight on external noise level:

I had someone on the street while I drove by in two different modes.

1. Normal - Driving down a quiet street at 30 mph and slowly accelerating to 40 mph. The noise level was just slightly louder than stock. Nothing that will make the neighbors run to look out their windows.

2. Full Throttle Burst - 30 mph to full throttle for 2-4 seconds. No mistake that something is coming down the street! No, it doesn't sound like you're at the tracks. As one observer noted; "Just like the old days - sounds like a quad at WOT".

BTW, I also have a 5zigen Fireball on the backside. Although it's not that loud during normal driving, it does add to the noise level at wide open.

Unless you have a "lead foot", the noise level is acceptable under normal driving conditions. Anyway, the stock IS is not a "quiet" car compared to the other Lexus models. The stock exhaust sounds a little more aggressive and there's more tire noise.

Gas mileage - Still under evaluation.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Risk3233:
I'm not getting negative on Mo's efforts at developing an excellent product like the SRT HFI for the IS300, but has anyone taken into consideration two things. First, the HFI will increase the noise coming from the engine bay. Second, there appears to a reduced gas mileage as a result of the intake.

Just curious.
Risk, Just buy the damn thing. You know you want it. Who cares about the wife? The cars are the man's domain. You are the master of your domain. Don't forget it.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, especially Cardinal ... what about El Chino. He actually bought the intake and as I read had it in the car before "wifey" had him take it out. Now it's on sale at a reduced price. Poor guy. Had the intake on for less than a day.

This is the exact reason why I can't get the intake ... the WIFEY factor.

I guess some guys have more cajones/balls than others or others are just single/bachelors.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just installed mine a few hours ago. The noise level is not noticiable under normal acceleration. When you get on it, sounds great!

·
Registered
241 Posts
congrats! how long did the install take? and what about the ecu wiring, was that difficult at all? thx.

------------------
PEARL/BLK

·
Registered
333 Posts
Stimpykat7, it took us about 3 hours. We really took our time. As for the wiring, tkae your time and do it right. Its really not that hard. Just follow the directions. I downloaded pics from this site to help. You can really tell the difference in HP with the intake. It is louder, when you want it to be. My wife said it was not too loud at all.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by Risk3233:
Guys, especially Cardinal ... what about El Chino. He actually bought the intake and as I read had it in the car before "wifey" had him take it out. Now it's on sale at a reduced price. Poor guy. Had the intake on for less than a day.

This is the exact reason why I can't get the intake ... the WIFEY factor.

I guess some guys have more cajones/balls than others or others are just single/bachelors.
can you say check mode? haha jk

------------------
'01 IS300
'91 NSX
'95 Maxima

·
Registered
333 Posts
Risk3233, your concern, if you get it is, how long will it be before I get a ticket. Or, how much longer till I need to replace my tires? Or "officer, was I really going that fast"? I found myself doing well over 100mph in a short period of time today. This intake is too much fun! I cannot wait to add the Supercharger!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Whens the S/C due out? and price? I'd imagine it can only be used with the SRT intake...

------------------
PEARL/BLK

[This message has been edited by Stimpykat7 (edited January 21, 2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts