Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've been hesitating to say anything. But all of these people are right. I did what you are trying to do, replace one thing at a time. Eventually, I gave up. When the compressor goes back, it will still "engage", but nothing will happen. When it goes bad, it sends junk into the system, which always clogs up the expansion valve and potentially the condenser. Opening the system at all to the air requires a new drier. And the problem is that you can't just test it easily, you have to get a full vacuum and fill every time you mess with it, and then a professional drain to open it back up. So in the end, it's always best to just do it all at once. New compressor, new expansion valve, new condenser, new drier. Then make sure it's all sealed up, and put in the freon with dye after a good vacuum.

i understand this, the problem i dont have the money to do all that, i can buy the compressor and replace it myself, but i dont know about the condenser and all that other stuff, if i had the money i would replace the whole system, no prob, but i just cant afford it right now.

Whats the worse that can happen me putting in a new compressor to my system the way it is now? i dont understand too well how ac systems work, so can put it a new compressor and then possibly have that mess up again along with everything else?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,021 Posts
i understand this, the problem i dont have the money to do all that, i can buy the compressor and replace it myself, but i dont know about the condenser and all that other stuff, if i had the money i would replace the whole system, no prob, but i just cant afford it right now.

Whats the worse that can happen me putting in a new compressor to my system the way it is now? i dont understand too well how ac systems work, so can put it a new compressor and then possibly have that mess up again along with everything else?
Just replace the compressor already lol. I wouldn’t worry about all the other stuff. The compressors do often fail on these cars at this age. When it fails it still engages and disengagement’s like normal. However when you hook up gauges to it (like the ac shop probably did to determine it was bad) there will be no pressure changes on either side.

I just replaced my compressor about 3 months ago because it failed. I replaced it with an OE denso unit I bought on Amazon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just replace the compressor already lol. I wouldn’t worry about all the other stuff. The compressors do often fail on these cars at this age. When it fails it still engages and disengagement’s like normal. However when you hook up gauges to it (like the ac shop probably did to determine it was bad) there will be no pressure changes on either side.

I just replaced my compressor about 3 months ago because it failed. I replaced it with an OE denso unit I bought on Amazon.
this morning my friend just so happened to have laying around a 20oz can of stp freon (with the hose), that one that "reconditions" and has "stop leak" i put that in, and the compressor is engaging, but its not very cold, its like if you where to put it on like 75 degrees when it was working normal, dosent cool very much, but it has been consistent all day, i put it in at 8am, driving around all day and its still cooling now at 5, i dont know if its maybe its just missing more freon, or that its still a "bad compressor", or maybe the shop i took it too where lying altogether, but from what your saying even if the compressor is bad it still will engage and disengage although not working properly?

sorry for so many questions just want to make sure i get this right before i start spending money.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,021 Posts
this morning my friend just so happened to have laying around a 20oz can of stp freon (with the hose), that one that "reconditions" and has "stop leak" i put that in, and the compressor is engaging, but its not very cold, its like if you where to put it on like 75 degrees when it was working normal, dosent cool very much, but it has been consistent all day, i put it in at 8am, driving around all day and its still cooling now at 5, i dont know if its maybe its just missing more freon, or that its still a "bad compressor", or maybe the shop i took it too where lying altogether, but from what your saying even if the compressor is bad it still will engage and disengage although not working properly?

sorry for so many questions just want to make sure i get this right before i start spending money.
Yes it will engage even if it doesn’t work. However you’re now making think you have a leak somewhere? I would still take it to a different shop. Have them evacuate what’s in there and do a leak test. If it passes, replace the compressor and recharge it and be about your way.

·
Mr. Roo
9,939 Posts
i dont understand too well how ac systems work
These systems are complicated and require fine tuned balance. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that you'll end up throwing a ton of money at, without ever really fixing it. Unless you do it right and replace it all. I ended up just not having A/C in my car, it wasn't worth it. So I'd recommend to save up until you at least CAN afford it all, just in case, or just save the hassle and not have A/C. You might still be able to get a little more life and cooling left out of the old compressor after spending money to get it recharged (which you'd have to spend again after replacing the compressor). If that still doesn't fix it all, then you can deal with the expansion valve and get it recharged a third time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes it will engage even if it doesn’t work. However you’re now making think you have a leak somewhere? I would still take it to a different shop. Have them evacuate what’s in there and do a leak test. If it passes, replace the compressor and recharge it and be about your way.
i know imma here it for this, but again i dont have much money, what about those ebay compressors? i see them going for 119-129 remanucfactured non oem compressor, but a few of those sold alot and have had great reviews, what would be better, one of those or a used one? those are in my price range, the reman oem ones are twice the price and oem reman more than triple, cant afford those.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,021 Posts
Yep, if that’s what you can afford then that’s what you go with. At least you’re trying!

·
Registered
2004 5-speed, w/ LSD & Sport package 😎
69 Posts
I've been hesitating to say anything. But all of these people are right. I did what you are trying to do, replace one thing at a time. Eventually, I gave up. When the compressor goes back, it will still "engage", but nothing will happen. When it goes bad, it sends junk into the system, which always clogs up the expansion valve and potentially the condenser. Opening the system at all to the air requires a new drier. And the problem is that you can't just test it easily, you have to get a full vacuum and fill every time you mess with it, and then a professional drain to open it back up. So in the end, it's always best to just do it all at once. New compressor, new expansion valve, new condenser, new drier. Then make sure it's all sealed up, and put in the freon with dye after a good vacuum.
I agree with Toby here, it's better to find the leak, and fix the whole system. That way it's almost guaranteed that it's fixed.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts