Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some of you know I am upping the power of my setup the week after thanksgiving- I have a week off of work, and will be adding:

Greddy 2mm headgasket
Aeromotive rrfpr with return fuel system
HKS exhaust cam gear

Hopefully this will get me up around 400rwhp.

Anyway, before I did all of this work, I thought it would be a good idea to perform a "physical" on my engine, to make sure it was healthy...

Unfortunately, I did not have access to a leakdown tester, so I did not do that test.

BUT, I checked all of my plugs and compression tested each cylinder.

The plugs looked immaculate. I should have taken a picture to show you, but didn't think to do so.

Compression test results:

Cyl 1: 198psi
Cyl 2: 192psi
Cyl 3: 200psi
Cyl 4: 200psi
Cyl 5: 195psi
Cly 6: 200psi


All I can say is :D

AND I finally got my rims back from the wheel shop today, after getting them repaired since my accident.

Just wanted to share. I'm happy.

-C
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
22,260 Posts
good luck with the install. Post pics.
 

·
Mr. Negative
Joined
·
11,977 Posts
doublins said:
Compression test results:

Cyl 1: 198psi
Cyl 2: 192psi
Cyl 3: 200psi
Cyl 4: 200psi
Cyl 5: 195psi
Cly 6: 200psi


All I can say is :D

AND I finally got my rims back from the wheel shop today, after getting them repaired since my accident.

Just wanted to share. I'm happy.

-C
I know exactly what you mean. before I did the headgasket and such on my car I did the same. It was such a relief to know all was well. I think mine were 1-200 2-200 3-205 4-200 5-200 6-197, or something like that.

So Congrats man!! Can't wait to see the next step and your ecu setup. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
IS_Dude said:
doublins said:
Compression test results:

Cyl 1: 198psi
Cyl 2: 192psi
Cyl 3: 200psi
Cyl 4: 200psi
Cyl 5: 195psi
Cly 6: 200psi


All I can say is :D

AND I finally got my rims back from the wheel shop today, after getting them repaired since my accident.

Just wanted to share. I'm happy.

-C
I know exactly what you mean. before I did the headgasket and such on my car I did the same. It was such a relief to know all was well. I think mine were 1-200 2-200 3-205 4-200 5-200 6-197, or something like that.

So Congrats man!! Can't wait to see the next step and your ecu setup. ;)
Doublins -
Glad you're happy...but care to explain why? :oops:
I don't know ANYTHING about this kinda' stuff!! (trying to learn!)

From the numbers above, I guess 200 is 'perfect?'
What range of numbers mean what?

e.g.
190-200: perfect
180 - 190: ok, but something's wrong
below 180: you got problems.

Thanks!
-Bryan
 

·
Mr. Negative
Joined
·
11,977 Posts
bk9 said:
IS_Dude said:
doublins said:
Compression test results:

Cyl 1: 198psi
Cyl 2: 192psi
Cyl 3: 200psi
Cyl 4: 200psi
Cyl 5: 195psi
Cly 6: 200psi


All I can say is :D

AND I finally got my rims back from the wheel shop today, after getting them repaired since my accident.

Just wanted to share. I'm happy.

-C
I know exactly what you mean. before I did the headgasket and such on my car I did the same. It was such a relief to know all was well. I think mine were 1-200 2-200 3-205 4-200 5-200 6-197, or something like that.

So Congrats man!! Can't wait to see the next step and your ecu setup. ;)
Doublins -
Glad you're happy...but care to explain why? :oops:
I don't know ANYTHING about this kinda' stuff!! (trying to learn!)

From the numbers above, I guess 200 is 'perfect?'
What range of numbers mean what?

e.g.
190-200: perfect
180 - 190: ok, but something's wrong
below 180: you got problems.

Thanks!
-Bryan
for stock the readings according to Lexus should be(going by memory so excuse if I miss by a couple). Higher than 185psi w/ less than a 8% variance between cylinders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
IS_Dude said:
bk9 said:
IS_Dude said:
doublins said:
Compression test results:

Cyl 1: 198psi
Cyl 2: 192psi
Cyl 3: 200psi
Cyl 4: 200psi
Cyl 5: 195psi
Cly 6: 200psi


All I can say is :D

AND I finally got my rims back from the wheel shop today, after getting them repaired since my accident.

Just wanted to share. I'm happy.

-C
I know exactly what you mean. before I did the headgasket and such on my car I did the same. It was such a relief to know all was well. I think mine were 1-200 2-200 3-205 4-200 5-200 6-197, or something like that.

So Congrats man!! Can't wait to see the next step and your ecu setup. ;)
Doublins -
Glad you're happy...but care to explain why? :oops:
I don't know ANYTHING about this kinda' stuff!! (trying to learn!)

From the numbers above, I guess 200 is 'perfect?'
What range of numbers mean what?

e.g.
190-200: perfect
180 - 190: ok, but something's wrong
below 180: you got problems.

Thanks!
-Bryan
for stock the readings according to Lexus should be(going by memory so excuse if I miss by a couple). Higher than 185psi w/ less than a 8% variance between cylinders.
Ahh, so it's all about the consistency between cylinders. Cool, that makes sense. 8)
Hyper - thanks for the read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,891 Posts
its the value in psi and the consistency

if you had a consistent 14psi across the board, your motor would be hosed

if you had 185, 185, 185, 185, 90, 185

cyinder 5 is hosed. the manual and any good mechanic should tell you there should be less than 8% variance, the manual will tell you what the average should be, that being 185

-gte





bk9 said:
IS_Dude said:
bk9 said:
IS_Dude said:
doublins said:
Compression test results:

Cyl 1: 198psi
Cyl 2: 192psi
Cyl 3: 200psi
Cyl 4: 200psi
Cyl 5: 195psi
Cly 6: 200psi


All I can say is :D

AND I finally got my rims back from the wheel shop today, after getting them repaired since my accident.

Just wanted to share. I'm happy.

-C
I know exactly what you mean. before I did the headgasket and such on my car I did the same. It was such a relief to know all was well. I think mine were 1-200 2-200 3-205 4-200 5-200 6-197, or something like that.

So Congrats man!! Can't wait to see the next step and your ecu setup. ;)
Doublins -
Glad you're happy...but care to explain why? :oops:
I don't know ANYTHING about this kinda' stuff!! (trying to learn!)

From the numbers above, I guess 200 is 'perfect?'
What range of numbers mean what?

e.g.
190-200: perfect
180 - 190: ok, but something's wrong
below 180: you got problems.

Thanks!
-Bryan
for stock the readings according to Lexus should be(going by memory so excuse if I miss by a couple). Higher than 185psi w/ less than a 8% variance between cylinders.
Ahh, so it's all about the consistency between cylinders. Cool, that makes sense. 8)
Hyper - thanks for the read.
 

·
Am I Hype-R???
Joined
·
13,619 Posts
kalieaire said:
anyone ever just want to o-ring their block?
what does that have to do with a compression test???
 

·
Am I Hype-R???
Joined
·
13,619 Posts
kalieaire said:
HyperMKIV said:
kalieaire said:
anyone ever just want to o-ring their block?
what does that have to do with a compression test???
the greddy headgasket upgrade.

i just remember people have more problems w/ greddy's headgasket.
oh...and it affects the compression that much??? :p

we used to o-ring groove our heads on the stangs when we went with a vortech setup...are you talking about the same thing??? i think fel-pro was the guys who made the oring gasket...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
on 240sx's some of the guys o-ring the blocks and change to copper headgaskets. a lot of honda guys do it too. it's one of the better ways for long term high boost solutions. but that's only if everything was done right in the first place.

if someone screws up the o-ringing at the machine shop, or messes up installing the headgasket or torquing down the head. overboost, running too lean, etc. but if the o-ringing is good, and everything else all being equal, o-ringing vs conventional head gasket, or even just a metallic one from greddy, should be much better.

---personally, I believe, and from old posts i've read, that o-ringing the block is better, the metal in the block is harder than the aluminum head(course, depends if you have an aluminum block or a cast iron block.)
 

·
Am I Hype-R???
Joined
·
13,619 Posts
kalieaire said:
on 240sx's some of the guys o-ring the blocks and change to copper headgaskets. a lot of honda guys do it too. it's one of the better ways for long term high boost solutions. but that's only if everything was done right in the first place.

if someone screws up the o-ringing at the machine shop, or messes up installing the headgasket or torquing down the head. overboost, running too lean, etc. but if the o-ringing is good, and everything else all being equal, o-ringing vs conventional head gasket, or even just a metallic one from greddy, should be much better.

---personally, I believe, and from old posts i've read, that o-ringing the block is better, the metal in the block is harder than the aluminum head(course, depends if you have an aluminum block or a cast iron block.)
yeah...basically the same concept...everything that the import guys do is taken from domestic knowledge...

now back to the original statement...oring affects compression??? :p :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
HyperMKIV said:
yeah...basically the same concept...everything that the import guys do is taken from domestic knowledge...

now back to the original statement...oring affects compression??? :p :wink:
yes yes yes. i'd imagine the compression ratings would be more within range of one another?
 

·
Am I Hype-R???
Joined
·
13,619 Posts
kalieaire said:
HyperMKIV said:
yeah...basically the same concept...everything that the import guys do is taken from domestic knowledge...

now back to the original statement...oring affects compression??? :p :wink:
yes yes yes. i'd imagine the compression ratings would be more within range of one another?
that's a good assumption...but in reality...it'll be about the same...the difference is not only the seal between the head and block...it's also the valve seating and rings as well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
HyperMKIV said:
that's a good assumption...but in reality...it'll be about the same...the difference is not only the seal between the head and block...it's also the valve seating and rings as well...
ok :p fine, i'll clarify further. all things being equal, meaning everything is in tip top shape including valves, the valve seats, valve seals, the cylinder walls have no scoring, the rings are super rings, and you're running viscous single weight racing oil, no gasoline in the combustion chamber, only air and oil, and you now have a copper hg w/ an o-ringed head or block. :crazy:
 

·
Am I Hype-R???
Joined
·
13,619 Posts
kalieaire said:
HyperMKIV said:
that's a good assumption...but in reality...it'll be about the same...the difference is not only the seal between the head and block...it's also the valve seating and rings as well...
ok :p fine, i'll clarify further. all things being equal, meaning everything is in tip top shape including valves, the valve seats, valve seals, the cylinder walls have no scoring, the rings are super rings, and you're running viscous single weight racing oil, no gasoline in the combustion chamber, only air and oil, and you now have a copper hg w/ an o-ringed head or block. :crazy:
ok...with ALL that being said...and it's in tip top shape...your compression would most likely read the same before and after o-ring grooving... :wink:

i'm just bustin ur balls man...
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top