Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a rebar in daylight falls off a truck or another truck kicks it in your path and it hits your car (and causes considerable damage), should the coverage fall under comprehensive or collision? Please explain. Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
ISFAN, Where are you????

I'm thinking comprehensive but I defer to our resident insurance geek

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comprehensive is what I thought too; similar to a rock hitting your windshield is considered comprehensive, but the insurance guy said it is covered under collision. Any legal advice?

·
Registered
626 Posts
That is a real touch subject in the insurance world. I am not sure who you carry your coverage with, but here is what we would do.

1. If you were driving behind the truck and actually saw the rebar fall off and hit your car, then that would be comprehensive. The definition of comprehenisve in our policy indicates named perils and one of them is a falling object. I would consider that a falling object.

2. Scenario #2. If the truck in front of you runs over the rebar and kicks it up and it hits your car that in my opinion would also fall under falling object. Actually it reads Missiles or falling objects. In this scenario I would consider this both a missle and falling object.

3. Scenario #3. If you were driving down the road and the rebar or any other object was in the road and you hit it, that would be collision. Collision definition is the upset of your covered auto or their impact with another vehicle or object.

I hope this clears matters up. You really need to pull your auto policy and read the Coverage to your auto section and see how they are defined.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts