Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a recent purchaser of a 2008 250 manual, I have the aspirations like many of you here to swap out my stock non-ML system for an after-market setup.

My initial qualm with switching the factory set-up is sacrificing the flush look of the factory stereo, replacing only the double-din stereo and leaving the top audio control portion to be useless. On the flip-side of this, I have heard of products such as the JL clean-sweep that will correct the EQ controls and add audio inputs to increase the capabilities of a stock system while preserving the stock look. Now I am aware that JL makes come Awesome products, but does this Clean Sweep fall short of an aftermarket deck in terms of SQ? I am hesitant for I value SQ as a #1 priority.

My next concern in the acoustics of the IS250. Last car I owned was a TL-S, where there was a metal plate between the trunk and the cabin, which heavily dampened the bass. I only want to use 1 sub-woofer but was going back and forth between the JL 12w7 and 12w6v2. How acoustically sound is the bass in the IS from your experience in comparison to to other cars?

My last set-up in my old car is listed below:

Boston Pro 6.5 3 ways (front)
Boston Pro 6.5 3 ways (rear)
Infiniti Kappa Perfect 5.5 (kick panels)
Alpine MRVF-540 4channel (Bridged to front speakers)
Alpine MRVT-420 2channel (rear)
Alpine MRVT-420 2channel (kick panel)
JL 12w7
Alpine MRDM-1000 Mono Amp

Is there anything impeding me from transferring my current setup, sans the kick panels to the IS? If i take the route of the JL clean-sweep, what exactly will I need to purchase to make this workout? Would the car acoustics demand more bass or not so much? What recommendations do you guys have in terms of total SQ? I appreciate any help or insight you guys can over. Obviously, I'm not a newb when it comes to audio, but I am just not too familiar with the application of the IS. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
3-ways in the rear??

Why do you have so many speakers behind you? Do you love your passengers that much?

Ditch the rear speakers, leave the big holes in the rear deck from the factory speakers and subwoofer and call it good. That will allow all your bass to travel to the cabin of the car just fine.

And don't run rear speakers in a STEREO system. That's not how it works.

And I'd love to see pics of your last install... Boston 3-ways and Infinity 2-ways up front... sounds like a big mess of shit. I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great idea with eliminating the rears, i guess I just left the speakers there for the sake of having speaker slots, haha.

My installer just told me that in order to keep the factory deck, he would need the stereo to still power at least one set of speakers (most likely rear) so that the signal could still be processed. The limitation of the audio out is the reasoning for this. He noted that PAC does sell a converter, but it sounds like shit...

Is this something that the JL clean-sweep thing would fix? How have you guys that kept your stock head unit gotten around this? I'm really close to ditching the idea of the stock head unit with this type of headache...

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Your installer is full of shit. There is no headache involved in retaining your stock deck.

All you need to retain your factory deck is an line output converter. It's a simple procedure. If you wanna get fancier, something like a JL Clean Sweep or an AudioControl LC6/LC8 would work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IS300included,

I just came back to notice your post. I actually purchased a Kenwood 617 DVD head unit to overcome any complications, but your reply now has me weary of this decision. If I got the line-out converter like you suggest, would the overall SQ of the system be as good (integrated to clean-sweep) as an aftermarket deck like the one i purchased? I'm only really interested in SQ and other features not as much..

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
It's debatable, but nowadays, the OEM integration units offered by lots of manufacturers can give you some pretty freaking good sound quality. It'd take a pretty well trained ear to notice the difference...

And the factory CD transport in the new IS is just fine, so there shouldn't really be any problems there.

In short... VERY good SQ can be achieved using the factory deck. Hell Gary Biggs is winning IASCA SQ competitions with his new BMW 330i.... the thing has a stock deck and FRONT SPEAKERS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick question, IS300included:

What are the best 4inch speakers from your experience? I'm farting around with some ideas.. Thanks

Edit: The high door speakers for the 250 are 4 inches right? Haven't looked yet..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was thinking of ditching the vanilla 3 ways boston pros in the front and replacing it with a set of 2 way 6.5'' pro components and another set of 2 way 4'' pro components... Then ditching the rear 6x9s and leaving some port space for the w7.. I'll also be running it with the stock deck and clean sweep... what you think?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Stock, non-ML, speaker sizes-

Front door- 6.5", 2.6", 1" times 2 doors

Rear door- 6.5", 2.6", 1" times 2 doors

Sub- 8"

13 total speakers

On an ML system it's

Center- 2.6"

Front door- 6.5", 2.6", 1" times 2 doors

Rear door- 4", 1" times 2 doors

Rear deck- 2.6" times 2 speakers

Sub- 8"

14 total speakers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so it turns out I'm way off on that speaker size. Funny that it's so hard to find the exact size of factory speakers..

Anyone actually try to use that 2.8" speaker slot for something? Can it actually fit another 3" or 4" separate?

Also, I see that the ML system has a couple of those 2.6" speakers on the rear decklet. So are the speaker slots just empty for the non-ML setups?

In addition, the 8" sub you speak of... Do most people with full systems just remove this to add better resonance of bass to the cabin or is their any alterior usage?

I'm sorry. I just realized how little I know of the is250 speaker setup. Hope you guys can shed some light..

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I believe the non-ML cars just have a different panel piece on the rear deck that lacks the rear speaker locations

the 8" sub in the rear doesn't use much space so I dunno if you'd gain anything removing it... on the ML system at least it does a decent enough job that I (who had a pair of 10" JL subs in my last car and was planning to add a sub to my IS) decided it was bass enough and left it alone... the non ML system is obvious pushing less power though

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry to bring this thread back from the dead

but does anyone have the mounting depth of the speakers? I was searching on crutchfield for speakers and noticed they recommended 5 1/4 speakers and as wondering why

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well for the question regarding "ditching" rear speakers or so forth I wouldnt exactly do it, but ofcoarse there is "proper" imaging and so called personal imaging bc we all perceive audio differently.. I would definately recommend keeping the rear speakers bc it adds amazing fill especially in the is which from factory has amazing tower speaker alignment for time correction. Also it not so much overkill bc you can image your whole system from 4 to 5.1 includeing the center channel front speaker and get very good results....long story short.

Second, If you are looking for SQ the boston pro's and kappa perfects are a generally "bright" speaker and not much you can do as far as getting more midrange out of them they are crossed over higher than most like if you have ever listened to a setup with a good mid woofer which helps to enrich a strong vocal and instrumental range which your subwoofer will not fill...just bc of the fact so its not noisy and too active its crossed over usually in the range of 60 hz.

The clean sweep is a very good setup but ofcoarse make sure dependant on the drivers you choose you get the proper amplifier and sub setup to accompany your goals.

The JL w7 is an amazing choice I currently use the 13W7 single, in a very tight sealed enclosure with one JL 1000/1, which that particular amp itself will entirely change ANY sub setup it is connected to bc of how clean it can process low frequency. I actually use the Gotham JL setup at home as well (its a W7 with 3500 RMS) with Mac 500.2 on focal Be and its emaculate and very responsive, probably just as responsive as most mid drivers, so yes as long as in the proper enclosure and power I would personaly recommend it..

Well up for questions if any...there is a quick reply

1 - 13 of 13 Posts