Lexus IS Forum banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
2003 IS300
13 Posts
Thanks, I'll go ahead and get 06 version. I think the difference is between the 2.4L and the 2.0L Turbo (which came out in 2007). Those have different part numbers.

·
Registered
2003 IS300
13 Posts
For those looking to go the W55/58 route and use the internal slave/TOB... From some research I did, GM apparently does not have any more of the slave line that connects to the slave cylinder. WOW. Besides finding one from a parts car with the flexible hose not busted (which seems to be a common problem) What did you use? I'm sure I can take my stuff to a place who makes custom hydraulic lines to get something made, just wondering if there's something already out there that I haven't found yet.

·
Registered
863 Posts
My trans had the line/fitting on it when I bought it. I cut the hard line off the fitting and chucked it up in my lathe, bored the fitting and tapped for whatever size the Toyota clutch line was. M10x1 maybe? And threadlocker of course.

Even if the flex hose is busted on a junkyard part I bet you or a shop can adapt the soft line to a hardline. GM used a similar TOB on all the manual vettes and camaros of this vintage. I bet one of those lines would work if nothing else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah mine is from an 06 Solstice. I used the Verossa shifter housing. It’s only 149$ on amayama trading co. The shifter is like 100$. Now shipping will be more since it’s coming from Japan but they ship fast. Shipping looks to be 65$. You could also just buy the shifter housing from amayama and get a shortshifter from eBay and save a bit if you get a cheapo or spend a lil more if you get a cube speed. All that to say, it’s not 450$ 😛 . I have a stock W55 shifter I’d sell that would work. Need to find it.

Will the truck trans even work in the cars? I haven’t seen anyone go that route. Something about the tail shaft isn’t suited or the shifter? Don’t remember what the deal was.
I was able to find an oem jzx shifter housing on ebay for 200 free shipping so I grabbed that last night. And today I picked up the only 06 solstice trans I could find within like 400 miles. Paid $650 plus $100 core. And yeah you can get a much cheaper shifter, my $450 was the oem housing and shifter, if we have to....overnight parts from japan :ROFLMAO:. I'm prob going to pick up a short shifter, personally not a fan of the canted w55 shifters.

Yeah there's people using the ar5 from the colorado. Check the pics here you can see the tail housing is a lot different. And yes if you dont want to cut your tunnel you'll prob have to buy one of the rare $400 remote mount shifters to place it in the is300 chassis. They seem to be a bit cheaper and way more plentiful.

·
Registered
863 Posts
That was an interesting read. I haven’t seen the truck version AR5 in an IS300 but pretty cool to see it in an MC. Respectable torque handling on it as well. What was they guy that had a 2jzgte/AR5 swapped Solstice? He said the AR5 was good to about the same limits. That little car ripped. I think he converted it to electric?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally popped the ar5 shifting into second from a good launch on MT drag radials. This trans has lasted for some time on 600whp and a spec twin disk and I found a ton of spares ranging from $300-1000 so I'm just going to replace. Good pics of the carnage.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yikes good pics of the destruction. How many launches you do on it, before it grenaded?

What did you use?
I saw this poking around and am pretty sure this will work in the stock slave cylinder and get you a -4AN clutch line so no custom nonsense needed. Here’s the part. Haven’t used it but looks correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yikes good pics of the destruction. How many launches you do on it, before it grenaded?
Countless launches on MT drag radials and regular street tires and 2 drift events where I let my drifter homies slide it. They love the trans. Picking up the second one right now. $440 + $150 shipped. Yay.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Picking up the second one right now. $440 + $150 shipped. Yay.
That’s a steal. Hard to believe people pay what they do for an R154 when AR5’s can be had.

Hows that spec twin disc holding up? That is one regret I have with my car. Wished I’d saved up a bit more and got a twin. I’m afraid to turn the boost up/run e85 even though I am set up for it because I don’t want to trash my single.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts