Lexus IS Forum banner
161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
2003 IS300
15 Posts
For those looking to go the W55/58 route and use the internal slave/TOB... From some research I did, GM apparently does not have any more of the slave line that connects to the slave cylinder. WOW. Besides finding one from a parts car with the flexible hose not busted (which seems to be a common problem) What did you use? I'm sure I can take my stuff to a place who makes custom hydraulic lines to get something made, just wondering if there's something already out there that I haven't found yet.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My trans had the line/fitting on it when I bought it. I cut the hard line off the fitting and chucked it up in my lathe, bored the fitting and tapped for whatever size the Toyota clutch line was. M10x1 maybe? And threadlocker of course.

Even if the flex hose is busted on a junkyard part I bet you or a shop can adapt the soft line to a hardline. GM used a similar TOB on all the manual vettes and camaros of this vintage. I bet one of those lines would work if nothing else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah mine is from an 06 Solstice. I used the Verossa shifter housing. It’s only 149$ on amayama trading co. The shifter is like 100$. Now shipping will be more since it’s coming from Japan but they ship fast. Shipping looks to be 65$. You could also just buy the shifter housing from amayama and get a shortshifter from eBay and save a bit if you get a cheapo or spend a lil more if you get a cube speed. All that to say, it’s not 450$ 😛 . I have a stock W55 shifter I’d sell that would work. Need to find it.

Will the truck trans even work in the cars? I haven’t seen anyone go that route. Something about the tail shaft isn’t suited or the shifter? Don’t remember what the deal was.
I was able to find an oem jzx shifter housing on ebay for 200 free shipping so I grabbed that last night. And today I picked up the only 06 solstice trans I could find within like 400 miles. Paid $650 plus $100 core. And yeah you can get a much cheaper shifter, my $450 was the oem housing and shifter, if we have to....overnight parts from japan :ROFLMAO:. I'm prob going to pick up a short shifter, personally not a fan of the canted w55 shifters.

Yeah there's people using the ar5 from the colorado. Check the pics here you can see the tail housing is a lot different. And yes if you dont want to cut your tunnel you'll prob have to buy one of the rare $400 remote mount shifters to place it in the is300 chassis. They seem to be a bit cheaper and way more plentiful.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That was an interesting read. I haven’t seen the truck version AR5 in an IS300 but pretty cool to see it in an MC. Respectable torque handling on it as well. What was they guy that had a 2jzgte/AR5 swapped Solstice? He said the AR5 was good to about the same limits. That little car ripped. I think he converted it to electric?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally popped the ar5 shifting into second from a good launch on MT drag radials. This trans has lasted for some time on 600whp and a spec twin disk and I found a ton of spares ranging from $300-1000 so I'm just going to replace. Good pics of the carnage.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Picking up the second one right now. $440 + $150 shipped. Yay.
That’s a steal. Hard to believe people pay what they do for an R154 when AR5’s can be had.

Hows that spec twin disc holding up? That is one regret I have with my car. Wished I’d saved up a bit more and got a twin. I’m afraid to turn the boost up/run e85 even though I am set up for it because I don’t want to trash my single.

·
Registered
4 Posts
from what I understand this would solve the shifter problem from the colorado AR5 in the IS

Seems to be really well made, I don't see a price and it show they are out of stock, so Im sure they are very expensive, but if it shifts as good as it looks it may be worth the money.

EDIT
Just happened to explore this guys' site and found he's got an entire kit that allows you to use a colorado trans without modifying it too:

I happened to find an ar5 out of a colorado local to me, I think I may pick up this kit and shifter and try this out. I've had the car a week and Im dying to manual swap it lol.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I happened to find an ar5 out of a colorado
How does the Colorado/H3version mount?

The Solstice/Slingshot AR5 has to be the preinterim version to drop in - it has the bottom mount for our cars. The 07 & up has a side mount. I think it would be fairly easy to adapt though.

I remember seeing that billet shifter on one of the Facebook 2jz pages awhile back. Think it was like 350$ish. Bout what buying the Toyota parts would be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How does the Colorado/H3version mount?

The Solstice/Slingshot AR5 has to be the preinterim version to drop in - it has the bottom mount for our cars. The 07 & up has a side mount. I think it would be fairly easy to adapt though.

I remember seeing that billet shifter on one of the Facebook 2jz pages awhile back. Think it was like 350$ish. Bout what buying the Toyota parts would be.
So upon further research it looks like there are 2 types of AR5 (MA5 really) in the colorados/canyons and hummers. It depends on whether it is 4x4 or 4x2. We want the 4x2 version. That looks to mount up like the solstice/sky AR5.
What I have been able to find, and kind of just deductively say this, that 2004-2012 Colorados as long as they are 4x2 trucks and not V8, they use the same transmission.
I say that because when I looked up the part number for the manual trans for a 2005, found this:
This says this transmission fits a 2004-12 Colorado and Canyon. I assume that any year in there with the 1jz bell housing, with the 5mm shim I posted above, and the custom shifter, should work in the IS.
I plan on trying to go to get that transmission at my local yard tomorrow morning, if its not pouring rain. I'll let you know what I find. I believe its a 2005 truck 4x2 that it is from, from what I can find on car-part.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
Getting ready to order all my parts from driftmotion. How important is it to measure the driveshaft when everything is all mocked up? Any potential issues with just going with Curran's recommended 51" measurement?
Very, I completed the swap a few months ago. I ordered mine at 50.25 and was very snug fit I get vibration on DCel also make sure you modify your transmission tunnel if you're going A to M. Another Also Is save yourself the trouble and go R154 route with the fork engagement it will save you time money and head aches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info, how did you end up mounting the crossmember? I've read some people on here have had issues with vibration with various different R154 style mounts. I bought Currans mount and the GM Block and Rubber isolator. Little important piece of info to anyone else who considering doing the swap, the metal block that connects the isolator to the trans is discontinued from GM, I ended up buying one from a Polaris dealer since the one from the slingshot is identical. Planning on doing r154 style clutch as you and most people have recommended, looking at the driftmotion stage 4 kevlar disc. Hoping that'll be good my goal is about 600 whp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will definitely report back on my results with currans crossmember and the GM mounts. When you said modify the trans tunnel what did you mean exactly? I spoke with Curran and he said he usually cuts it and then rivets and seam seals a manual tunnel over it like in the original post. Wondering if I'll just able to get away with cutting the hole a little larger and running it like that .

161 - 180 of 182 Posts