Lexus IS Forum banner
141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Reverse is easy, there’s a plug on the AR5 that looks like a 1” nut filled with epoxy and has two wires potted in the epoxy. You just splice the IS300 reverse wires into them.

Cruise probably won’t work without a manual ecu. It requires all the throttle sensors - Apps1&2, tps1&2, and the dbw controls to function. Do you have any CEL’s? How about your VSS, is it working?
VSS is working surprisingly. Must be wired differently on these cars. Yea I figured reverse out. I’ve got a manual ECU but didn’t know if there was a way to do it with the auto ecu still in place. Yes I have CELs but I haven’t checked them yet. Trying to get everything cleaned up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After 3 years of good use my driftmotion steel 1 peice slip yoke driveshaft now has a vibration.
Does that CV peice need to be added or do I have to go back to 2 peice. My driveline angle is less than 1/2 a degree. I really feel like that flange adapter should be rubber.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found someone selling an AR5 swap kit for the IS300 but the transmission is from a 2016 Polaris Slingshot. It uses a Verossa shifter extension to get the shifter in the right location and everything else is supposed to be the same as the 06 Solstice AR5. Has anyone else heard of Slingshot AR5 being a viable replacement for the 06 Solstice?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I’d say if it’s overall the same length, it should fit. It has to have the mount on the bottom of the transmission, not the side though. The 07 & up Solstice switched to a side mount trans. It would take some custom fab to work, but not impossible - just not plug n play. I’m not familiar enough with the slingshot to say with certainty. You are correct about the Verossa shifter extension being used.

Can you post a pic of the trans crossmember mount? That would help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone broke yet? I'm getting my driveshaft reworked soon for high speed vibration and just was wondering if anyone has broken and know why. Ive gutted the complete rear to 3195lbs where theres only a gallon of meth and a pump in the rear of the car. Front is Lexus, rear is racecar :). Still sitting at approximately 650whp at 30psi on a 6266 with E85 (70%) 50/50 meth/water, spec twin disk, and MT drag radials on rx7 FD wheels. I havent launched at the track but have on the street many times and plenty of roll racing coming off a brake boost with a 4 port controller holding the wastegate down and flatshifting. I really wanna break it so I can find the weakpoints and build up another.

HAS ANYONE BROKE IN A IS300 CHASSIS!!!?

Ps: its crazy seeing these trans on eBay in a 2018 version from the polaris slingshot. I saw one for $550.

Shes ugly but she moves and doesent cost me a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The've gone up in price a bit since I bought my sub 1k mile one two years ago but not so much as to suggest that they are da holy grail.

So are you asking whether someone has broken a transmission so that if not you can go ahead and break one? Or an IS300? What's preventing you from building another one?

I got kinda lost. Sry.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ohh. I haven't had problems with mine but I don't really track my car or anything. I installed a short shifter at the time I swapped it and I'm not in love with it. Honestly, if I were shooting for power (and knowing getrags are not an option) I'd go T56. I think I saw something, either in ClubLexus or SF about a complete kit for less than $4k. That sounds like a lot of win to me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Does anybody know if a r154 trans mount will bolt up to an ar5?
there are a few different versions of the r154 mount, i tried 2 different versions, the mk3 didnt, the jzx only 2 of 4 bolts worked. is there a reason why you dont want to use the solstice one? there $30 at the local parts store.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Curran, do you still have your twin plate setup and how has it been for you? I was looking to get that kit but there is confusion with the vendors lol. I’m like I know it’s been done lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Curran, this is such a great write up thanks for doing it. I had a question. Most place online are saying I need to trim the input shaft or use a spacer, but in your faq you say it doesnt need trimming. Can you please enlighten us on the details of this? I have my motor out and im looking at buying a solstice/colorado trans here in the next week or two. I would really appreciate it, im about to drop money on an ar5 to 2jz bellhousing & slave cylinder spacer set. Would be awesome if not needed. Thanks again.

Edit: Nvm, think I figured it out. The input shaft on the 4 bolt AR5 from the Chevy Colorado is too long and needs to be trimmed, but the 6 bolt AR5 from the solstice/sky does not need to be trimmed.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
AR5 from the solstice/sky does not need to be trimme
Correct. The solstice/sky/slingshot AR5 doesn’t need to be trimmed. I don’t know about the truck version. The bell housing is the Toyota 1J/2J to R154. Make sure you get the bottom mount transmission. The side mount would probably work but would be custom mounted and I’ve yet to actually see anyone do it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep nailed it. I've spent about 8 hours over the last few days reading everything I can find lol. The 4 bolt Colorado/Canyon AR5 guarantees you'll get a bottom mount, on the 6 bolt solstice afaik only the 2006 had the bottom mount.
Another thing to think about when choosing which AR5 to go with, is shifter location, the 6 bolt solstice/sky trans places the shifter about 6 inches further back then the colorado/canyon version. As he posted in this thread, you can use the jzx shifter assembly (33570-22150 , 33530-22300 ), although the parts are about $450 today.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yeah mine is from an 06 Solstice. I used the Verossa shifter housing. It’s only 149$ on amayama trading co. The shifter is like 100$. Now shipping will be more since it’s coming from Japan but they ship fast. Shipping looks to be 65$. You could also just buy the shifter housing from amayama and get a shortshifter from eBay and save a bit if you get a cheapo or spend a lil more if you get a cube speed. All that to say, it’s not 450$ 😛 . I have a stock W55 shifter I’d sell that would work. Need to find it.

Will the truck trans even work in the cars? I haven’t seen anyone go that route. Something about the tail shaft isn’t suited or the shifter? Don’t remember what the deal was.

·
Registered
2003 IS300
15 Posts
I'm gathering my parts to do the AR5 swap on my IS3. Got a question regarding the internal slave/TOB when going the w55/w58 route. The 24234308 part number for it comes up as 2007 and up Solstice part. Just want to confirm that is correct or will I need a 2006 an older internal slave/TOB? From what I've read, there is a length difference between those years. Just want to confirm with those who went the w55/w58 route.

my clutch setup will be
-MKIV N/A Flywheel
-MKIV N/A Pressure plate
-S10 disc

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Don’t know the difference in the 06 vs the 07/08/09, but there is a difference. They do have different part numbers for sure. Check out rockauto and compare the years. I’d advise getting the 06 version. It’s known to work.

141 - 160 of 182 Posts